Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-27-2022, 02:54 AM   #1
chihuahua
chihuahua began at the beginning.

Device: Xiaomi InkPalm Plus (3rd gen)
KOReader crashing on Kobo Clara 2E

I installed KOReader on my Kobo Clara 2E but it crashes and displays an error. It's installed fine on my Kobo Clara HD. The Kobo Clara HD is running an earlier version of the software but the 2E has the latest 4.34.20097.

Any suggestions for what I should do to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KOReader error Kobo Clara 2E.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	196809  
chihuahua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:46 AM   #2
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
It’s not supported just yet since it just came out, but architecture seems to be quite similar to the Libra 2, so it’s probably just around the corner. However, just like the Libra 2, it will probably not be the best experience with KOReader given Kobo’s shoddy innards on their latest generation of devices (crashes, poor battery life).
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:55 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
It’s not supported just yet since it just came out, but architecture seems to be quite similar to the Libra 2, so it’s probably just around the corner. However, just like the Libra 2, it will probably not be the best experience with KOReader given Kobo’s shoddy innards on their latest generation of devices (crashes, poor battery life).
KOReader is running just fine on my Sage, very stable, can't remember the last crash - and since enabling autostandby battery life is much better too. The issues seem very specific to the Libra 2. Which is why I bought an ex-demo Libra H2O as my backup reader. Which I don't even use much now that autostandby has made such a huge difference to my Sage's battery life
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:57 AM   #4
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Sage uses a different CPU, but the Clara 2E shares the same one as the Libra 2. This lets Sage runs KOReader remarkably more stably than the Libra 2, but the Sage has the famous battery problem, so that's not saying much. :P
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:32 AM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Yes, the support is on the way:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ent-1258635329
You can help there by sharing crash.log I guess
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #6
chihuahua

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
Thanks, I was wondering if it was due to the newness of the device, so good to know. Not happy to hear about "Kobo's shoddy innards" though
Old 09-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihuahua View Post
Not happy to hear about "Kobo's shoddy innards" though
Which was what prompted my reply. The Sage does not have "shoddy innards". It DOES have a disappointingly small battery, a strange decision by Kobo that I won't defend. But it is stable and functions well in both stock and KOReader. There are users who apparently find the idea of having to charge a device 2-3 times week morally repugnant and or a criminal abhorrence, but for those who do not feel that way, there is effectively nothing wrong with the Sage at all.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #8
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you're only using the Sage to read, is there any way to disable the pen functionality to make the battery life more in line with the Libra 2, or is it bad no matter what you do?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:30 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you're only using the Sage to read, is there any way to disable the pen functionality to make the battery life more in line with the Libra 2, or is it bad no matter what you do?
I only read in KOReader, so I don't know if the pen functionality is still 'on' in the background.

I also tend to sleep between 6-8 hours a day, and have no problem with charging w my Sage while I am asleep and thus do not find the battery life to be problematic. 13-15 hours reading time is 2-3 days reading for me, I can live with that.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:29 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
We never[*] enable pen mode, so its effect on battery life is a non-factor here .

[*] KFMon does send its screen updates in pen mode on the Elipsa to sidestep a host of issues with collision handling and rotation in the sunxi display driver (and only on the Elipsa, because the Sage driver was... let's go with "fixed" (but not really, it's just broken in different ways ;p)). That's only for the very short span of that update, and as such it doesn't warrant spinning up extra cores.

----

Technical sidebar about it, which doesn't concern us because of the above, but is mildly hilarious because sunxi:

Yes, it will utterly murder your battery: it pegs a CPU core to 100%, which requires Nickel to spin up the other 2 to 3 extra cores to deal with whatever it needs to deal with (which is also obviously a bigger load than usual, both because the pen is very chatty so keeping up with it on a very basic level is more straining, and because of actually doing pen stuff). What I call pen mode, which is only the display driver part of things, is only enabled on pen down, though.

And since we only support the pen as a touch input device and not a drawing tool, that explains why we never have to deal with pen mode .

----

So, yeah, while the issues are less impactful to standard workflows, I cannot honestly say that the Sage/Elipsa are flawless. They're a mess, but, thankfully, it's just a mess that doesn't happen to trigger random crashes .

(And it hasn't stopped me from using both of 'em as my daily drivers, as I find the battery issue hilarious on a technical level, especially compared to a Kindle PW5, but a non-issue in practice. And, as said above, despite being terribad, the display driver mostly "works", and most of what I'm talking about will never be noticed by anyone unless they're as obsessed about EPD as I am. And it doesn't randomly crash in standard workflows, so, eh, I'll take it ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-27-2022 at 09:48 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:48 AM   #11
chihuahua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Which was what prompted my reply. The Sage does not have "shoddy innards". It DOES have a disappointingly small battery, a strange decision by Kobo that I won't defend. But it is stable and functions well in both stock and KOReader. There are users who apparently find the idea of having to charge a device 2-3 times week morally repugnant and or a criminal abhorrence, but for those who do not feel that way, there is effectively nothing wrong with the Sage at all.
For what it's worth, I'm with you on recharging.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:13 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, today's nightly should be working as best it can on the Clara 2E :}.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote