Old 10-27-2016, 01:06 AM   #1
Reverend Smeg
Reverend Smeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
calibre to Kindle Cannot write to file error

Kindle Fire 5th Gen running Fire OS 5.3.1.0
calibre version 2.70 (64-bit)
Windows 10

Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 506, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 218, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 190, in get_driveinfo
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 180, in _update_drive_info
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\driver.py", line 151, in put_calibre_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 37, in check_thread
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\mtp\windows\driver.py", line 441, in put_file
WPDError: Cannot write to file: hr=2147500037 facility=0 error_code=16389 description: Unspecified error

I have un/reinstalled calibre.
I have done a factory reset on the Kindle.

Why does it still continue to give me this error? The Kindle is new. The version of calibre is new. Until recently, it worked perfectly.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reverend Smeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed
by rebooting both the device and the computer. If that does not work, you can try resetting
the device, or you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
Reverend Smeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is an error communicating with the device. Usually, this kind of error can be fixed
by rebooting both the device and the computer. If that does not work, you can try resetting
the device, or you can use one of the wireless communication methods described here:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
And all that would mean something if I hadn't already addressed that in my original post.

Like I said, the devs seem, as shown by their auto-response, completely uninterested in fixing this problem so I'm pretty uninterested in giving them any more of my time.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh what part of an error communicating with the device do you not understand. This is not a "problem" that can be fixed in calibre. Your device/OS/USB subsystem is malfunctioning.

And given your attitude I have no interest in spending any more time helping you, either. Good bye and good luck.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Smeg View Post
And all that would mean something if I hadn't already addressed that in my original post.

Like I said, the devs seem, as shown by their auto-response, completely uninterested in fixing this problem so I'm pretty uninterested in giving them any more of my time.
The problem with that is that Kovid's response does solve 95% of these sort of problems. Until he is confident you have done everything suggested, then going further is potentially a waste of time. One of those suggestions is to reboot the PC. Your first post did not say that you have done this.

In any case, reading the error message, something has gone wrong writing a file on the device. Can you copy a file to the device using explorer or the command line? If you can't then calibre won't be able to as it relies on the OS to do this.

Kovid did suggest a workaround. As the device is an MTP device, it can do this over WiFi. As MS seem to be messing up USB connections to various devices recently, this might be the safer option.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
Reverend Smeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sigh what part of an error communicating with the device do you not understand.
Well, as my device is being recognized by everything else on my system, it appears that the problem is definitely with calibre and that you have no desire to fix it.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Smeg View Post
Well, as my device is being recognized by everything else on my system, it appears that the problem is definitely with calibre and that you have no desire to fix it.
have you actually proved that you can write to the named file? That test is needed to prove that other apps would not encounter the same error.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
Reverend Smeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
have you actually proved that you can write to the named file? That test is needed to prove that other apps would not encounter the same error.
I can write, I have written, and I can do so with every other program except this.

Again, it's a new kindle that can and does communicate. I think what annoy some even most is that the only response I've gotten was a prepackaged post and then an insult. The app has had this problem going back to at least 2011 and yet his only response is just to blame the user.

In any case, it's not worth the trouble at this point. I was only really interested in this to make it easier to do what I can do manually so no real harm is done and it's just a bit more space on my drive for more books.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
ncunning
ncunning began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I wanted to just let Reverend Smeg know that I am experiencing the EXACT problem with my Kindle. It was working fine until the new update. Now I can't connect either one of my kindles and I receive the same error message you got. I uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted the computer, reset my kindle and still nothing. Calibre works fine with my iTunes connection, but it is dead to my Kindle. I was hoping the forums had some helpful tips, but it looks like we are in the same boat
ncunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncunning View Post
I wanted to just let Reverend Smeg know that I am experiencing the EXACT problem with my Kindle. It was working fine until the new update. Now I can't connect either one of my kindles and I receive the same error message you got. I uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted the computer, reset my kindle and still nothing. Calibre works fine with my iTunes connection, but it is dead to my Kindle. I was hoping the forums had some helpful tips, but it looks like we are in the same boat
Have you tried reverting to the version of calibre you had before the update, they're at ==>> Previous calibre releases

That link is on all the platform specific download pages at calibre-ebook.com.

It will provide us with a good indication whether or not the problem is something in the new version of calibre or if its something else.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember that all calibre is doing is using standard O/S facilities to write to a file on the Kindle. There is ZERO special code involved. This is why each and every time this issue arises, it is asked for the users to try the same process themselves, ie copying a file to the device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cannot write to file, error, kindle, windows