Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
juegos
Connoisseur
juegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheesejuegos can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Can Kindle be installed on this? And is 10.3 sufficient to read pdfs well?
juegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:07 AM   #17
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
News about Onyx Boox Writer

News about Onyx Boox Writer from COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2017:
http://ascii.jp/elem/000/001/494/1494938/
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #18
rkabir
rkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Really hoping for more information on the writer soon. Anyone have any idea when it's expected to release?
rkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:09 AM   #19
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Why to buy e-reader to download a ton of app with Play Store? is a tablet better choice
isn't?
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:07 AM   #20
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
Why to buy e-reader to download a ton of app with Play Store? is a tablet better choice
isn't?
It's not about a ton of applications (not for me at least), but about the ones you want to use, like document viewers, possibly writing software and screen mirroring software (and Linux deploy in my case). As widely discussed in the forum, some use cases are problematic due to the e-ink display, others due to the low processing power of the single core SOC (which unfortunately probably won't change for most of the upcoming devices).
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #21
DiDGr8
DiDGr8 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox N96ML
Near as I can tell they are not putting a front light on either version of the e-Note. There isn't anything in the brochure they show and the menu doesn't have a "Light" icon to adjust the frontlight. That's going to be a deal breaker for me. Other than that, though; it looks ideal.
DiDGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #22
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
They say in September a new series of 9.7'' and the 10.3'' ('Note pad') will be available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z1JoAPkL7Q

For 9,7'' specs are said to be about the same as N96 but it's a lot lighter: 350g compared to the N96 with 480g.

10.3'' ('Note pad') is 380g.

I appreciate lighter versions and wonder
a) what the price will be
b) if you really can get it in September or will have to endure possibly months of delay
c) what kind of screen they use (mobius?) Ok, it's Carta.

I hope the price of the new 9.7'' to be about the same as the N96. Then I would wait & buy.

If it's more expensive by some margin, I would go for a N96 now.

Last edited by tommyer; 07-17-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Found the answer to c) + correction
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:37 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Note:

9.7' is 9.7 feet
9.7" is 9.7 inches

I suspect that you perhaps meant the latter?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 AM   #24
tommyer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that you perhaps meant the latter?
Yes, you are right. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #25
tommyer
Connoisseur

So the 10.3’’ will have a Carta screen (better contrast than E-Ink Pearl) and in addition it is Mobius version (like OB MAX only) which is made out of plastic and not glass making it more flexible and secure.

The idea of an E-Ink-Notebook is also absolutely great. They say it will be released in 2018. But at first glance, I wonder about compatibility of apps and programs. I use a reference management program called Citavi and I guess it will not work on it directly which would make for this combination to be unworkable and useless. So may be one will have to use a different reference program. But I also wonder about other reference management software such as EndNote, Refworks, and Zotero with regards to Android. There seem to be alternatives to the standard reference management software for Android. But may be one will have to accept some drawbacks with them:
http://alternativeto.net/software/ci...atform=android

Generally I would say, if Onyx Boox was on the stock market (is it perhaps in China?), I would buy shares. I believe in their idea and above all in its potential with regards to technological improvement, usability and creation of demand, may be also a bit of a lowering of prices.

It is also a very wise move for them to go further in the direction of 'education', marketing-wise speaking. I would advertise aggressively in secondary education, universities and with professionals but also office work. It is very important to stress the advantages of these devices and to repeat them endlessly and clearly. At the end of the day it is all about sparing eyesight, working on devices without dazzling by sunshine and unparalleled functionality with PDFs. Combined this can improve upon the productivity of students, professionals and office workers. Constrained ability for entertainment purposes makes for lower distraction at work transforming a seeming liability into an asset.

Because of its hq in China the company will have it easier to tap into the markets of the BRICS countries and in wider Asia & South America, but also Africa plus the West anyway. It has the potential to become a truly global company, if it isn't is one already.

Sorry for my ignorance at times, off-topic posting, mistakes, not reading or not being aware of previous posts, not searching enough on the internet myself and sometimes confused thinking. Indeed Onyx Boox devices are really for smart, sophisticated people. In this respect, they need to dumb down usability and marketing while retaining in the message the added value of these devices. They should also limit unfulfilled promises of functionality in product descriptions.

Last edited by tommyer; 07-17-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyer View Post
The idea of an E-Ink-Notebook is also absolutely great. They say it will be released in 2018.
Perhaps the thread title should be changed, if that's the case? A 2018 release hardly qualifies as "about to be released"!
Old 07-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #27
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyer View Post
Indeed Onyx Boox devices are really for smart, sophisticated people. In this respect, they need to dumb down usability
Please allow me to be the first to thank you, for your well noted remark, and, so do you work at an Embassy or at a Consulate? (I liked both the flattery and its preparing a bathos)

But honestly, I am not sure that usability is the problem with Onyx firmware. I think it is to consistently hone occasional or structural faults. For example: they should be committed to verify before firmware release that the most important software applications (for the OS version chosen in the ongoing phase) work flawlessly.

Last edited by mdp; 07-17-2017 at 02:12 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #28
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juegos View Post
And is 10.3 sufficient to read pdfs well?
With a MaxCarta you will want to read pages side-by-side.
EDIT: look, check this video. Keep it high res.

Last edited by mdp; 07-17-2017 at 02:17 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #29
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Some PDF documents are hard to read in 9,7", so in 10,3" may be? but the best format is 13,3" for all type PDF documents.
I bought N96ML and lately Max Carta, except the format theses product are the same, not the price!!!.
I upgraded both to android 4.4, obsvioulys , this is better than android 4.0.4( sometimes ithe device lose the page number with Android 4.0.4).

I read Epub mostly and time to time PDF document, so
if Sony would integred epub format,i will change in favor of Sony!!!
Sorry for my poor english!
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
Yes. I have a 10.5" iPad and it's great for PDFs. Far more portable than a 13" device.