Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
manktelr
manktelr began at the beginning.

Device: cool-er
Is my screen broken

Hello,

I'm fairly certain the screen is broken on my Cool-er but I'm trying to be sure. My cool-er did one of its (extremely annoying) firmware crashes and as I was busy I did not fix it for a month when it first crashed the screen was blank, however since I've fixed the firmware (and incidentally changed to the pocketbook firmware, which seems to work fine apart from the screen ) the bottom quarter of the screen is frozen on a jumbled miniaturized images.

This image shows what the screen looks like, is this an unsolvable problem. I;ve opened up the cool-er and the screen looks physically fine.
page turns are also fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	3317
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	91864  

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-05-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: max picture width is 600 pixels. Resized image
manktelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
That is a broken screen. It is the glass substrate that cracks.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
Too bad! The screen is definitely broken. If you want to restore your Cool-er, you can use a Kindle 2 as a donor. Its screen is of the same model and it can be taken out easily.
Disassembling of both readers should not be a problem for a careful person, too.
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by manktelr View Post
Hello,

I'm fairly certain the screen is broken on my Cool-er but I'm trying to be sure. My cool-er did one of its (extremely annoying) firmware crashes and as I was busy I did not fix it for a month when it first crashed the screen was blank, however since I've fixed the firmware (and incidentally changed to the pocketbook firmware, which seems to work fine apart from the screen ) the bottom quarter of the screen is frozen on a jumbled miniaturized images.

[snip]

This image shows what the screen looks like, is this an unsolvable problem. I;ve opened up the cool-er and the screen looks physically fine.
page turns are also fine.
The glass substrate is broken. The plastic eInk layer on top is still whole, which is why you can't see the break, but the curved line of the non-working area is a classic broken glass line.

It's a physical problem. Getting the screen replaced will probably cost more than a replacement ebook reader. Also, the screens are very fragile when on their own. Replacing a broken screen is a lot trickier than one might expect, even if you can get the part.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote