Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 AM   #1
alpha_owa
alpha_owa began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Smile Need help on converting Epub to HTML

Is there a way to convert EPUB to HTML without having some of the classes? Or CSS on it? Or only have it with plain HTML tags?

Or is there any other tool you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
alpha_owa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I don't know if there's a "quick" way, but I would open in Sigil and create new HTML files from the entrails (using cut & paste). I'd then search & replace styles etc.

As I said, it's not a quick way.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If the book uses a CSS, simply un-link the files. Even though the code contains class=, there is no styling

if inline styles: REGEX should help removing style="(.+?)"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've not tried this myself but a conversion to markdown format should produce a document with very basic formatting, which on turn should concert to a very simplified html document.

You might also see what a tool called PanDoc might do. https://pandoc.org/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_owa View Post
Is there a way to convert EPUB to HTML without having some of the classes? Or CSS on it? Or only have it with plain HTML tags?

Or is there any other tool you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
I would convert to htmlz format. It does simplify a lot...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
You could simply open it in the Editor, delete any files you don't want in the result, then:

->Arrange the header of the top file as you desire, including removing CSS links if you like.
->Select all the text files you want, right-click, and merge them.
->Use some regex to get rid of all the IDs, attributes, spans, divs, and what-have-you.

->Another regex search to turn all the various <p class="whatever"> to simply <p>...or maybe two or three searches if you want several in your result. Same with <hn...> lines.

(If you have a book based all on <div>s instead of <p>s, adjust accordingly.)

That should leave you with one file, as simplified as you desire. Just export it.

Given all the stuff in books, I doubt you'd ever automate this, but go through one and save your searches, and the next ones should literally take only minutes.

I basically do this when faced with some ancient, amateur scanned book that looks like a ransom note. Then I re-format and split the single file into chapters of whatever. But the basic clean-up only takes a couple of minutes with saved searches.

Last edited by retiredbiker; 03-15-2019 at 10:05 PM.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epubtohtml