Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
eruditionastic
Enthusiast
eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: G090G1 5.9.7 G090G1 5.10.2
How to enable RNDIS with usbnetwork in Windows 7

I searched around and didn't find any specific thread with clear, concise steps.

These directions work for a Paperwhite 3 with firmware 5.9.7 serial Serial G090 G105 and Windows 7, although it's not limited to that at all.

Step 1: Jailbreak your kindle https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Step 2: Install USBNetwork https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

Step 3: I had to completely restart my Kindle for the USBNetwork mode and mass storage driver mode to both work after installing.

Step 4: After reboot, toggle usbnetwork, make sure it's on. Plug Kindle into PC.

Step 5: Open device manager (start,run,type devmgmt.msc,enter) and under Universal Serial Bus Controllers there is an entry for RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget with an exclamation point because it has no driver. Right click it, update driver software, browse my computer for driver software, Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. A window will come up asking to select the device type. Select Network adapters

Step 6: In the manufacturer section, scroll down to "Microsoft Corporation" (Not "Microsoft"). In Network Adapter section, select Remote NDIS Compatible Device". Click Next. When the prompt says "Installing this device is not recommended", click yes continue anyway. Finish install.

Step 7: Verify in Device Manager that under Network Adapters you now have an entry for "RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget".

Step 8: Go to network adapters. You should see a new entry entitled "Local Area Connection [#]" - Unidentified Network - RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget. That is your gateway to your Kindle.

Step 9: Assign a static IP address to this adapter. (Right click adapter,properties,highlight TCP/IPv4,properties,use following IP address) The default IP of the Kindle is 192.168.15.244. So assign an IPV4 IP starting with 192.168.15.2-254. But not .244 obviously. Assign a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. You can leave gateway blank.

Step 10: Install putty, open putty, put 192.168.15.244 in as the address, type a name, save. Open that name. login is "root", and hit enter. Enjoy your command line.

Last edited by eruditionastic; 02-27-2019 at 10:29 AM.
eruditionastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nice write-up.
I think we have had one here, somewhere, but not as clear.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@kcn1: This one?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ighlight=RNDIS
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Yeah, that looks like what I had in mind.

IIRC, later in the tread it was reported that at one of the quarterly revisions, MS corrected the problem (in Win10, anything earlier is still DIY).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
eruditionastic
Enthusiast
eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'eruditionastic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: G090G1 5.9.7 G090G1 5.10.2
Thanks! Yeah I read the win 10 one, but it didn't handle how to force the driver install in Win 7. I haven't upgraded yet, still waiting for the bugs to go < instead of >.
eruditionastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
rndis, usbnetwork, windows 7