Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Old Ipad Charging Fix

I had taken my old Ipad (first generation) to the shop to get fixed because it wouldn't charge. I was informed it was because the charging port would need to be replaced. I put it in a drawer about a year ago and on a whim today I watched some youtube videos re Ipad charging problems which advised to clean the charging port with a toothbrush/ toothpick. Another video also recommended doing a soft reset due to software problems sometime not allowing an Ipad to charge. Now the Ipad is charging normally and I'm sharing this in case anyone else has run into any similar problems.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Good to know. I'm surprised the battery still maintains a usable charge after all these years! I barely remember that old, original charging port now. What I do remember about having an iPad 1 was the low eye hurting resolution and the lack of usable apps designed specifically for it rather than just for the iPhone. I quickly got tired of its limitations and sold it, then waited a few years until the iPad Mini 2 with high resolution was released to buy another. I wonder how many of the current apps will even run on that old iPad?
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Good to know. I'm surprised the battery still maintains a usable charge after all these years! I barely remember that old, original charging port now. What I do remember about having an iPad 1 was the low eye hurting resolution and the lack of usable apps designed specifically for it rather than just for the iPhone. I quickly got tired of its limitations and sold it, then waited a few years until the iPad Mini 2 with high resolution was released to buy another. I wonder how many of the current apps will even run on that old iPad?
I would say none. All current apps are 64bit and the first iPads to run a 64bit CPU were the mini 2 and the Air. The A7 processor was the first 64bit processor. iOS version 11 required all apps to be 64bit.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would say none. All current apps are 64bit and the first iPads to run a 64bit CPU were the mini 2 and the Air. The A7 processor was the first 64bit processor. iOS version 11 required all apps to be 64bit.

Dale
Not the mention that fact that the first iPad stopped receiving updates much earlier than later models. iOS 5 is the most current major release available IIRC.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Redundant post
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is what I thought. But as long as the OP is able to use it and is happy with it, that is all that matters. I remember gifting an iPod Touch gen 1 to someone about six years ago. I told him that it was crazy old, still worked, but was very limited as far as which apps would still run on it and way out of support as far as iOS updates were concerned. He was nonetheless really excited to get it and used it for quite a while.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Hadn't had a chance to install many apps on it yet. First app I downloaded was the Kobo app which installed successfully. The kindle app I had already installed is Version 5.15.2 and it works fine as well. An app which at first didn't want to install gave an error message it wasn't compatible with the current IOS but offered to download a previous version of the app which was compatible. I thought this a nice touch by the Spreaker podcast app developer to offer earlier versions of the app when necessary.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Hadn't had a chance to install many apps on it yet. First app I downloaded was the Kobo app which installed successfully. The kindle app I had already installed is Version 5.15.2 and it works fine as well. An app which at first didn't want to install gave an error message it wasn't compatible with the current IOS but offered to download a previous version of the app which was compatible. I thought this a nice touch by the Spreaker podcast app developer to offer earlier versions of the app when necessary.
I'm surprised the app developer still supported it at all. They usually draw the line somewhere closer to the current line up. You could probably jailbreak it and load all kinds of apps, if you can still find them, but I'm not sure it is worth the effort.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I'm surprised the app developer still supported it at all. They usually draw the line somewhere closer to the current line up. You could probably jailbreak it and load all kinds of apps, if you can still find them, but I'm not sure it is worth the effort.
Yep, jailbreaking iPad1 was the first thing I did 7-8 years ago, to be able to use external HDD and flash memories and various other apps.

I still use it, because it was 64 GB version and it is full of books, dictionary apps and various pdf/Djvu/ebook readers and notetakers I've obtained for free, and I can use it for wireless book transfer to my other tablets and e-ink readers using wi-fi hdd enclosure or local wi-fi network, or as auxiliary device for dictionaries, colour checking, note taking etc. while reading on e-ink reader.

Its light is very bright, though, even on the very minimum, but there are pdf & ebook readers which can further lower the brightness as needed and I also use f.lux and ultra-matte anti-glare screen protectors.

iPad 4 is a lot better for any prolonged reading though (also by using ultra-matte anti-glare protectors, f.lux app and jailbreaking) so that I still don't mind using it instead of my newer iPad.

Last edited by Marinolino; 05-08-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote