Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-24-2017, 04:32 AM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
New Icarus 7.8 inch 300ppi Android e-reader

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Icarus 7.8 inch 300ppi Android e-reader via Indiegogo. Hopefully I will receive it at the end of September. They finally added most everything (missing expandable storage) I wanted. Android, Google Play app store, MP3 support, headphone jack, bluetooth, and wifi.

This means that the apps that I use 90% of the time will still function great.

Calibre Companion
Moon+ Reader Pro
Pocket Casts
Dropbox
Feedly

Hopefully the other 10% of my app usage should work too.

The only thing I'm giving up is Google's Map app since there is no GPS and obviously any video apps. Its not cheap, but if you are interested they will be selling it on their site. Here are the specs.

Full specification:

• 7.8" E-Ink Carta HD touchscreen (1872 x 1404)
  • Integrated frontlight (adjustable intensity and can be turned off)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth for connecting to other devices
  • Android 4.2: install your own apps
  • 1.8Ghz processor with 1GB RAM
  • 16 Gb internal memory
  • Supports ePub and PDF with Adobe DRM and in addition FB2, RTF, MOBI, TXT, HTM
  • Supports other ebook ecosystems, newspapers, articles and many other content through apps / Google Play Store
  • Audio support (MP3) and 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Battery: 2,800mAh Lithium Ion
  • Sleep / wake up function (with Icarus Sleep Cover for Illumina XL HD, sold separately)
  • 200 x 145 x 9mm, 275 gr.

I'll let you know how it works out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Glass or Plastic?
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Glass or Plastic?
Since they haven't touted it being plastic I'm going to assume it glass.

Icarus said the final product will closely resemble the one reviewed in this YouTube video.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have built a wiki page for the Icarus Illumina XL HD.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Icarus 7.8 inch 300ppi Android e-reader via Indiegogo. Hopefully I will receive it at the end of September. They finally added most everything (missing expandable storage) I wanted. Android, Google Play app store, MP3 support, headphone jack, bluetooth, and wifi.

This means that the apps that I use 90% of the time will still function great.

Calibre Companion
Moon+ Reader Pro
Pocket Casts
Dropbox
Feedly

Hopefully the other 10% of my app usage should work too.

The only thing I'm giving up is Google's Map app since there is no GPS and obviously any video apps. Its not cheap, but if you are interested they will be selling it on their site. Here are the specs.

Full specification:

• 7.8" E-Ink Carta HD touchscreen (1872 x 1404)
  • Integrated frontlight (adjustable intensity and can be turned off)
  • Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth for connecting to other devices
  • Android 4.2: install your own apps
  • 1.8Ghz processor with 1GB RAM
  • 16 Gb internal memory
  • Supports ePub and PDF with Adobe DRM and in addition FB2, RTF, MOBI, TXT, HTM
  • Supports other ebook ecosystems, newspapers, articles and many other content through apps / Google Play Store
  • Audio support (MP3) and 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Battery: 2,800mAh Lithium Ion
  • Sleep / wake up function (with Icarus Sleep Cover for Illumina XL HD, sold separately)
  • 200 x 145 x 9mm, 275 gr.

I'll let you know how it works out.
I'd like to know if the Kindle app works. I've tried it on my T62D, but it doesn't seem to work.

Unfortunately their website charges you VAT even if you're in the US.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I'd like to know if the Kindle app works. I've tried it on my T62D, but it doesn't seem to work.

Unfortunately their website charges you VAT even if you're in the US.
In theory I hope to receive it by the end of the month. I'll test out the Kindle App and let you know what I find. If you don't hear back within 30 days feel free to bump this question and ask again.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
In theory I hope to receive it by the end of the month. I'll test out the Kindle App and let you know what I find. If you don't hear back within 30 days feel free to bump this question and ask again.
Thanks.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
In theory I hope to receive it by the end of the month.
Should be shipping the 29th from the Netherlands.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Should be shipping the 29th from the Netherlands.
Thanks, but obvious now that we have received the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icarus Team

Update to all backers (September 15th):

• production will be finished after the coming weekend
  • the Illumina XL HD will first be shipped from China to the Netherlands
  • we can ship from our warehouse as of September 29th
In the meantime we have further improved our software, to make the device easier to use. One example is a easy set-up wizard which will guide the user through set-up of most important settings.
We hope to send you first pictures next week.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #10
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Why is it selling via the Nederlands? Is it a Dutch company?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:49 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Why is it selling via the Nederlands? Is it a Dutch company?
Yes, here is their web site for this product.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icarus Team
Today we have received the strongly anticipated Illumina XL HD e-readers in our warehouse in the Netherlands. We are starting to ship orders based on chronological order; the oldest orders (June/July) will be served first. We will finish shipping all orders next week, so before October 13th we will have shipped out all orders placed.

You will receive track & trace information of your shipment, but please allow some time for that as we normally receive them from the logistics companies after a short period of time.

We thank all of you again for your patience and are confident that you will love the final product!

The Icarus Team
Here is the latest information. Mine will be one of the last shipped out. I will update after I receive the reader.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
Wicked John
Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wicked John ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura
Can't w8 for your feedback, take your time and nitpick it :P
Wicked John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #14
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
I got my Boyue Paper (Likebook Plus) a few days ago. It should be mainly the same device.
Here you can check my first impresions

It would be nice to compare both devices. So far, I very happy with mine

Last edited by colibris79; 10-05-2017 at 12:27 PM.
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
I got my Boyue Paper (Likebook Plus) a few days ago. It should be mainly the same device.
Here you can check my first impresions

It would be nice to compare both devices. So far, I very happy with mine
It should have a pinhole reset button.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote