Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
woodygirl
woodygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
New Nook and Calibre question

Probably a dumb Nook / Calibre question...
I just bought a new Nook and I am wondering one thing...

What is the best way to use Calibre with my Nook?

I know that the Nook isn't the greatest for finding books and organizing books, so I want to be able to use Calibre to do that. I have about 2000 books on my home PC with everything entered the way I like on Calibre(covers, tags, and metadata), so it's really easy to find a book by topic or series or author. I want to be able to use Calibre from my Nook to search through my library, for example, search for books by a certain tag or series. What is the easiest way to do this? I know Calibre has a Content Server, to access it as a web page. So, is my only option to copy my entire library over to my Nook and then use Calibre's Content Server to basically search for the book I want to read next and then go to My Documents folder on my Nook and try and find that book?
Or is there a more simple way to do this?

I have read different posts on people "softrooting" their Nook to do this...I have no clue how to do anything like that! And it's a brand new Nook with the newest firmware and it seems that there can be issues trying to root that version.

I just want to be able to sit on my couch with my Nook and browse through my library via Calibre.

Thank You!
woodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
woodygirl--

Not sure if this answers your question or not, but what I do is simply hook my nook up to my computer through the USB cable. Calibre then sees my nook and I can choose the books I want loaded onto my nook and choose "transfer to device" in Calibre's interface. The books are then transferred to the nook and show up in the "My documents" folder on the nook.

Hope this helps!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
MrCee8800
MrCee8800 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I use calibre as long term storage for my book, and my nook as where I keep the books I think I might even want to look at in the near future. I have over 1400 book in calibre and the thought of wading through 140 pages to find the one I want to read makes me shudder.
MrCee8800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCee8800 View Post
I use calibre as long term storage for my book, and my nook as where I keep the books I think I might even want to look at in the near future. I have over 1400 book in calibre and the thought of wading through 140 pages to find the one I want to read makes me shudder.
Go log onto B&Ns forum and add yourself to the hundreds of people requesting that file organization or foldering be added in the next software update. Maybe we'll be heard one day.

As for Calibre, i use it much the same way as MrCree does.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Sorry to bump up an old thread. But i am expecting to get my Nook soon in the mail, and wanted to get some info beforehand.

Can you sync your calibre library with the nook with wifi rather than plugging it in?

Thanks
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
barrist: No. NOOK's wireless is not able to download from anywhere except B&N.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote