Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #106
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Not sure if someone has posted this yet (I don't want to wade through six other pages of responses) by the funniest book I've ever read is Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. If you're into deadpan, dry humor, you MUST read it.
I just wanted to add my suggestion about Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome when saw your post.
+1
What about the other one-
"Three Men on the Bummel" Have onyone read it?
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #107
Jan J
Enthusiast
Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I really think Christopher Moore is funny as heck! "A dirty job" was great, beware of the kid when she says "kitty".

His book "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christs Childhood Pal" is also a crack up, provided you aren't insulted by the religious jokes in it. It is a humorous look at what might have happened while Christ was growing up.

Amy
Have to agree on this one! I just finished "Lamb" and thought it was great. Saw it suggested earlier in this thread and bought it. I was not familiar with him but he is on my "must read" list now. I don't remember reading anything that made me laugh out loud like this book. And yes, you just need to keep an open mind. His research was great.
Now reading his "Fool" which is also fun but so far, not quite as good as "Lamb". I'm only about 1/3 the way into it but enjoying it. Must get more of his books!!
Jan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #108
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
"Augustus Carp Esquire, by Himself: Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man" - uploaded here by Patricia.

Fantastically funny!!
Do you have a link by any chance? I am not finding this one. Thank you

Nevermind- see it is a few posts down after yours

Thanks for broadening my horizons guys because I haven't heard of most of the authors listed in this thread! My LOL book is Chelsea Handler's My Horizontal Life

Last edited by SimonSays; 02-20-2010 at 02:28 PM.
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #109
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Leo Frankowski's time-travel-based series (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/leo-a-frankowski/) about a Polish Engineer who gets sent back in time - and decides to improve things is (unabashedly sexist) and light-hearted, and quite funny.

He does/did (he passed away recently) have one of the worst websites ever, though (http://www.leofrankowski.com/)
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #110
freerun
freerun began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you read any P.G. Wodehouse? He is an EXTREMELY funny author.
Love him! I've read them all!
freerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #111
Graflan
Graflan began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Keith Laumer especially his Retief! stories. His satire has always gotten to me.

http://www.webscription.net/s-70-kei...rerFilterID=0&
Graflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #112
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Can you believe that movie is a cult hit? It's a travesty!!11!

Bill the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison. I first read this satire as a teenager and for awhile I had a hard time remembering which scenes I'd read in "Bill" and which came from Starship Troopers.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #113
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Can you believe that movie is a cult hit? It's a travesty!!11!
Why? Is it because you don't like the book or is it because you don't like the movie version?
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #114
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
Why? Is it because you don't like the book or is it because you don't like the movie version?
The book is amazing. The movie, not so much. I think it's generational, I read the book about 30 years ago and it seems like many of the movie's fans weren't even born then.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #115
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Oh, sorry. Opposites day.
Now that made me laugh!
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #116
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
I'm currently re-reading Northanger Abbey. I'd forgotten just how funny it is! Austen's work is full of subtle wit, but with NA she gives the impression that she's just plain enjoying herself.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #117
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Love The Princess Bride. I taught it in my freshman English class the first two years. And as a treat I would show the movie after we finished reading.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #118
oboy
oboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Ray Comfort's Comfort, the feeble-minded: Consolation for people who do dumb things : an autobiography will have you wetting your pants. Do not read it at night because you will wake up the person next to you, and those in the surrounding rooms (this comes from the experience of more than one reader).

It's a collection of stories about people doing dumb things. Very short, easy, funny read.
oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:32 AM   #119
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Well, I'm a fan of Princess Bride, of course the book, but I'll recommend Wilt series of Tom Sharpe, very british humour in the way of Wodehouse.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #120
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelee View Post
Well, I'm a fan of Princess Bride, of course the book, but I'll recommend Wilt series of Tom Sharpe, very british humour in the way of Wodehouse.
Are any of his books available as ebooks? The last time I checked, I couldn't find any. As his namesake, I'd like to read what I've he's written!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, funny, humor