Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What shall I read next?
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe 5 7.46%
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams 16 23.88%
Emma by Jane Austen 4 5.97%
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs 3 4.48%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 5 7.46%
The Awakening by Kate Chopin 1 1.49%
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 2 2.99%
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 6 8.96%
Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas 12 17.91%
Silas Marner by George Eliot 0 0%
Room with a View by E M Forster 1 1.49%
1984 by George Orwell 17 25.37%
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair 3 4.48%
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson 5 7.46%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathon Swift 4 5.97%
The Secret History by Donna Tartt 1 1.49%
Walden by Henry David Thoreau 4 5.97%
Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony Trollope 2 2.99%
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain 8 11.94%
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne 5 7.46%
Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 6 8.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Help me pick out which 1001 book to read next

So far, I've been reading what jumps out at me most. Now...I've got a list that has a bunch of books that I want to read equally. So I'm asking your help (insert Uncle Sam picture) to help me pick out which one to read next. And then I'll read it right away

(If you don't know about the list, linky is in my sig)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just out of curiosity. What made you choose this guy's list over some of the other 'must read' or 'best' lists out there.

I was thinking something like this might be fun (did the AFI 100 film list a few years back), but looking at this list it seems like a lot of authors have 3 or 4 or more books on the list while other noted authors have no representation at all. With all the great stuff out there it just seems weird to me that any given author has more than one, two max, books on the list since it only has 1001 slots. So I'm not sure this would be the list for me. Are there other lists you considered before starting this one?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Definitely should read Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart and his sequel No Longer At Ease. Every other book you list is by a European or westerner. It's a good opportunity to broaden beyond Western civilisation
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
I put my vote in for "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair, mainly because I have a copy signed by Upton Sinclair thanking my grandfather for the collaboration he did with Upton on the book. Also it is a good book.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Wuthering Heights is one of my all-time favourites. But I also loved Rebecca. It took me awhile to get into, but had a 'twist' I was not expecting.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
I voted 1984. It's a good read and it's relatively short. So you can start quickly on yet another one.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that you plan to read them all, why not just pick one at random? If you select the "best" ones to start off with, they are just going to get more and more "boring" as you go on. That doesn't sound like a very good strategy!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kidnapped. It's only by reading the book you find out why people have made films of it. I.e. the book is much better than the films.

I'd recommend the combined version in the mobileread library "David Balfour", which is both Kidnapped and Catriona. You could always stop after the first book :-)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24381

(Umm.. yes, I did do the conversion for that version.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
So far, I've been reading what jumps out at me most. Now...I've got a list that has a bunch of books that I want to read equally. So I'm asking your help (insert Uncle Sam picture) to help me pick out which one to read next. And then I'll read it right away

(If you don't know about the list, linky is in my sig)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:13 AM   #9
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Definitely should read Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart and his sequel No Longer At Ease. Every other book you list is by a European or westerner. It's a good opportunity to broaden beyond Western civilisation

I was just about to recommend that one!!!

:::Whispering::::
I am attempting the same ridiculous goal!... But I have to be honest the whole "...before you die" thing was what reeled me in. It's sort of like a challenge I can live with... until I die...
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'Rebecca' - a great read, and it's been in your sig as 'Next Up' for yonks!!

Treat yourself .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just out of curiosity. What made you choose this guy's list over some of the other 'must read' or 'best' lists out there.

I was thinking something like this might be fun (did the AFI 100 film list a few years back), but looking at this list it seems like a lot of authors have 3 or 4 or more books on the list while other noted authors have no representation at all. With all the great stuff out there it just seems weird to me that any given author has more than one, two max, books on the list since it only has 1001 slots. So I'm not sure this would be the list for me. Are there other lists you considered before starting this one?
I saw it at the library and decided to do it. Once I started, didn't feel like switching to a new list. That's pretty much the only reason.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Is Rebecca available as an ebook? I was going to read that one myself but couldn't find an ebook version.

My vote is for The Awakening by Kate Chopin. (It's short)

I'm also trying to read many of the 1001 best books, and my strategy is to read the ones I think I'm going to like and also the short ones first. There are so many books I want to read and I don't want to get bogged down in a couple really long books that I don't like -- especially as I first get started.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Is Rebecca available as an ebook? I was going to read that one myself but couldn't find an ebook version.

My vote is for The Awakening by Kate Chopin. (It's short)

I'm also trying to read many of the 1001 best books, and my strategy is to read the ones I think I'm going to like and also the short ones first. There are so many books I want to read and I don't want to get bogged down in a couple really long books that I don't like -- especially as I first get started.
No, I picked it up in mass market.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - it has just about everything you could want from a book - romance, comedy, murder, ghosts, mystery, electric monks and stuck sofas.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I chose Dirk Gently as well, just because I happen to love those novels... (And wished he had written more)

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote