Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Chaostime
Chaostime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Unhappy Language Problem!

Here's the problem,

I'm English (well that's not the problem) and I live in France. I bought my Sony Reader here, and understandably it's in French.

There are no default options for the reader to change its language. I was hoping you guys could tell me if there was a way to change its language to English, such as changing the firmware from the French version to the English version.

Is this possible? If not, is there anyway to change the language?
I can't understand my reader
Chaostime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaostime View Post
Here's the problem,

I'm English (well that's not the problem) and I live in France. I bought my Sony Reader here, and understandably it's in French.

There are no default options for the reader to change its language. I was hoping you guys could tell me if there was a way to change its language to English, such as changing the firmware from the French version to the English version.

Is this possible? If not, is there anyway to change the language?
I can't understand my reader
i don't know it this will work but i changed the original language (english) from my reader into dutch (just like to have that on my reader) by using the prs-customizer programme. look for the thread in this forum.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Use PRSCustomizer.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:26 AM   #4
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Don't use PRSCustomize (1.04) on your reader. It doesn't support French (FW 1.3) version.
The best way for you now.
go to Sony support and download FW 1.1 US version and update to your reader (read the How to on readme) with the trick for upgrading lower version to newer version... (see on how to solve brick...)

Then you can use PRSCustomize...

or wait until newer version of PRSCustomize (1.05+)
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Chaostime
Chaostime began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice.

I managed to figure it out that if i used the customiser to put the Reader into update mode, i could use the firmware updater from the Sony site to put to the US firmware on, and now it's all in english.
Chaostime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert