Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Anyone using Aldiko?

I've been using Aldiko Reader on my Vox for years because it has just about all the features I need. Seems it updates periodically whenever there is a new version and I have wifi on. That's a nice feature except when the update hasn't been thoroughly tested with the Vox. Usually Aldiko heeds the feedback on crashes and fixes the problem with another update.

The other day Aldiko was updating while I was adding a book from Dropbox when I may have put it in airplane mode before the download was done. When I tried to read the new book Aldiko crashed and when try to start it again I only get the choices "Force Close" and "Report". The Applications Manager says I have Aldiko Version 3.0.35. I tried to reinstall it from Google Play and it's also version 3.0.35 but when it goes to install I end up with this:

Can't install app

"Aldiko Book Reader" can't be installed. Try again, and if the problem continues, get help troubleshooting. (Error code :-11)

This error refers to storage space and I have plenty of that.

Since I supposedly have version 3.0.35 installed already, should I uninstall it and then try, or would I lose all my books?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I compared it to Moon + & to Bookari & decided not as good.
one reason is that it insists on copying ( not moving ) your books to its own library folder, whereas others just import metadata,
so if you send a lot of books on device, via calibre companion, they will all be stored twice.
and AFAIk it has no cloud sync features

for the crash, look for and remove all data folders used but the app, as well as removing the app itself, then try a clean re-install. back up your books before doing that.
you may have corrupted a database which is left behind at uninstall app.

Last edited by stumped; 03-22-2017 at 02:19 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Yes, I was thinking removing the app and re-installing it. I don't know what Aldiko does with the books I download from my Dropbox, but sometimes I will also download the book to Overdrive, which goes quicker, probably because it's already on the tablet.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
oldyellr
Evangelist

Well, I contacted support@aldiko.com with the problem. Meanwhile I downloaded Moon + and don't like it. I removed Aldiko from my Vox and tried installing it again from Google Play but got the same error again. I also tried installing older versions from the web, but they wouldn't install.

I got a reply from Aldiko with a Dropbox link to download v.3.0.35 which worked and I even got all my books back. Aldiko also sent me a link to a crash reporting app to use. So far Aldiko is working, but still crashes when I try to change the font. Maybe newer versions use more and more resources and the poor underpowered Kobo Vox just can't deliver. Maybe I should start deleting books I've read and apps I hardly use.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
oldyellr
Evangelist

Aldiko 3.0.35 still crashes if I try to do anything but read and I can't even try to change the font without crashing. It just seems newer versions are too resource-hungry.

So I started looking for alternatives. I have Kobo's own reader and Overdrive, but Aldiko was better for my needs. I already tried Moon + and didn't really like it. Next I tried Pocketbook Reader and liked that it found all my books on the Kobo, but it was confusing to configure and kept stalling and crashing, just too much for the Vox, just like the new Aldiko.

Next I tried AlReader and was amazed how fast and responsive it was and it also loaded all my books. Configuring required extra steps, but the options are plentiful and I got it to look and work just like I had Aldiko working, except much faster and no crashes. It appears it's just what I needed for the dinosaur Vox running Android 2.3.4. In fact, it will work with Android versions as old as 1.6. So, folks, If you're about give up on your old Vox, give AlReader a try.
Advert
Old 03-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist

Just to follow up on this.

I like AlReader, but I would like Aldiko better if it didn't keep crashing on my Vox. So I contacted Aldiko Support and we went back and forth with a debugging app but in the end no success. The Support Team in the end conceded and gave me an old version, Aldiko Premium v.1.2.9, which works great, not crashing due to lack of resources, but lacks a lot of the options of v.3. so I went back to using AlReader.

Searching the web I found various older versions of Aldiko. First I downloaded v.3.0.23, which is about a year old, but that too crashed on me when asking it to drill deeper into the font options. Then I tried v.2.1.0 and found it ran better and didn't crash. It's also a lot more like V.3 than v.1 and I could could set it up just like I had v.3. So that's what I would recommend if you like Aldiko and want to keep using your Vox.