Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Self-Publishing Indie Author Amanda Hocking Signs with Publisher

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/bo...ress.html?_r=2

Quote:
In the past year Ms. Hocking, a 26-year-old from Minnesota, became an indie heroine in the literary world for publishing nine books that sold a total of more than one million copies, nearly all of them in e-book form, earning almost $2 million for her efforts.

But for Ms. Hocking, self-publishing has had its limits. On Thursday she announced that she had sold a four-book series to St. Martin’s Press, ending a frenzied weeklong auction that involved nearly every major publisher in the business, including Random House, Simon & Schuster and HarperCollins.
Quote:
“I’ve done as much with self-publishing as any person can do,” Ms. Hocking said in an interview on Thursday. “People have bad things to say about publishers, but I think they still have services, and I want to see what they are. And if they end up not being any good, I don’t have to keep using them. But I do think they have something to offer.”
Hope she writes about her experiences!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Interesting. Did she go to them, or did one of them approach her first? The website just says she was sold at auction to the highest bidder. Did she give away ebook rights as well, or just realbook rights?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
It's interesting to see a few authors go from traditional publishing to self-publishing, and to see a few go from self-publishing to traditional publishing. I'd like to see a round-table discussion where these authors get together and discuss what they feel are advantages and disadvantages or each method.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, to be blunt, there are probably few non-celebrities that get a $2 million advance. So of course she took the deal.

Heck, I bet the vast majority of people working as offers have never made $2 million in their career. A lot of semi-big names couldn't even support themselves full time as a writer and had to work second jobs. Or if they do, they do a lot of editing work.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Interesting. Did she go to them, or did one of them approach her first? The website just says she was sold at auction to the highest bidder. Did she give away ebook rights as well, or just realbook rights?
Just the rights for a four book series. From her blog: http://amandahocking.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Did my agent push me into this? Nope. This exactly how the conversation went: Steve (my agent): "Have you thought at all about going the traditional route?" Me: "Yeah, I have. And I have a series that I'm ready to pitch." Steve: "Great. Send it to me when you're ready."

The reason I took this deal wasn't for the money. At least not the upfront money. Also, let's be honest - if I self-published the Watersong series on my own, I could probably make $2 million within a year or two. Five years tops. I am fully aware that I stand a chance of losing money on this deal compared to what I could make self-publishing.

Last edited by John Carroll; 03-26-2011 at 12:12 AM. Reason: addition
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Well, to be blunt, there are probably few non-celebrities that get a $2 million advance. So of course she took the deal.

Heck, I bet the vast majority of people working as offers have never made $2 million in their career. A lot of semi-big names couldn't even support themselves full time as a writer and had to work second jobs. Or if they do, they do a lot of editing work.
The article seems to say that she made 2 million just from her self published sales, but didn't state her advance. At least that was how I interpreted the bit quoted by the OP. No doubt her advance was hefty, though. Edit: reading through it, it appears I was mistaken.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 03-26-2011 at 01:00 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
If the major publishers were in competition for her series, she made out like a bandit. I'd do the same in her position!

Well, actually, if I were in her position, I'd take my $2 million and retire.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
VegasWriter
VegasWriter began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Interesting that someone who makes millions with e-Books still needs that old-fashioned authentication in the form of a print book. Good for her. Let's keep BOTH formats viable.
VegasWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
Seli
Connoisseur
Seli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enoughSeli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasWriter View Post
Interesting that someone who makes millions with e-Books still needs that old-fashioned authentication in the form of a print book. Good for her. Let's keep BOTH formats viable.
If I understand correctly she is doing it to get some more time to actually write books, in stead of a lot of other stuff that needs to be done to sell the amount of books she has. I really do not think it has anything to do about authentication. Although I do imagine it is a nice feeling of there being a bidding war over your work.
Seli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interesting. I know of the author and of her books. Never read any though.

I hope she gets something out of it.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I think she made a wise decision. Four books is nothing considering her backlist and her writing speed. She's continuing to self-publish everything else. She's giving up some potential self-published $$$ for more exposure and to get into big stores like Walmart, which I think is really smart. I'd do the same. Good for her.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote