Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
marvinhowru
marvinhowru began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR1000S
Got a used DR1000S, quick set-up suggestions needed!

Hi, I just got a used DR1000S at a low price. I'm a student a and I'm going to use it to do readings in pdf format (lots of readings!).

since I have two essays to write based on all the readings, I don't have to much time searching the forum about how to optimize the DR1000S. So I hope DR1000S users could give me some packed info such as which firmware should I update and any patches/fixes should I install..... I found the FBreader stuff by the way... it was well-hidden

thank you very much if you could help~~
marvinhowru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
If you are reading articles from scientific journals, the stock device is going to be about as good as your going to get. My primary use of the device is reading PDFs from journals. When you want extras like annotation and merging the annotations into a pdf so you can view them on a desktop is when you need to customize it. Do you know what version of the firmware is installed?

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
marvinhowru

thanks for your rely!
It came with the latest 2.0 rc3 beta firmware.
I think I'll need to make notes on PDF, or on a blank page.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
For reading pdf's the standard reader is best I think. But I'm not sure for annotations. I don't think it's able to merge annotations to the pdf-file, but could be wrong. You might want to take a look at the Xournal port for the DR1000.

Another tip is the Mackx patch (which can be found in the developers subforum). It's adds very useful functionality to the overall device like keeping lists of last-read documents, menu customization and automatic opening of documents at startup.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Annotations that you made with the standard pdf-viewer can be merged using xournal, but there are some limitations. Xournal only merges correct if the pdf-format that is used is less or equal to PDF-1.4 (Acrobat 5.x). The PDF version is shown in AcrobatReader using File->Properties.
Depending on the PDF-language-features used, some higher version documents can also be converted correctly, just try before you annotate.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
marvinhowru

thank you very much guys~
I think I'll do the following:

1. Install Mackx patch
2. Install FBreader 1000s version
3. Install Xournal

Are these all I could do? any other settings I should be aware of?
thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Be carefull with the patch, there are people that have reported some problems during/after installation, which has cost them much time to get it right.
Skip the patch for now, enjoy the normal behaviour with the extra apps and see if you would really want the extra features of the patch.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
StarDict?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91004

CBZ plugin for reading comic books and/or viewing sets of pictures as a book (you just zip them and rename to .cbz)? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=46

Last edited by dima_tr; 10-15-2010 at 10:56 AM.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote