Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #46
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I might be able to justify to myself (and, more importantly, my wife), getting one.
Very good, absolved

For the wife, you could say that you have won a small prize at the lottery and at the same time buy for her an object worth 1keuro.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #47
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
or buy her one and ask beg to borrow ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Very good, absolved

For the wife, you could say that you have won a small prize at the lottery and at the same time buy for her an object worth 1keuro.
Hmm, that trick doesn't work on my husband, I'm afraid. And every time I mention I want to buy a netbook, he starts rolling his eyes!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #49
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, that trick doesn't work on my husband, I'm afraid. And every time I mention I want to buy a netbook, he starts rolling his eyes!

put yer foot down ....
Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
put yer foot down ....
Oh, I will, I will... After the bedroom is done and the curtains paid for (by the end of the month...)
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #51
GeoffC

Quote:
Oh, I will, I will... After the bedroom is done and the curtains paid for (by the end of the month...)

What !

He's making you do all that work ....
Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm, now you mention it, we long ago decided that his pay would go to the house and general living, and my pay would be for the fun stuff...

But I also want that kitchen (with that lovely Falcon stove!). On the other hand, holiday pay is coming up. And the tax return...

(that Asus or Packard Bell might come soon after all!)
Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please, stay as far away from anything to do with Packard Bell as you can.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #54
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course, for husbands it's a completely different story that involves ... what it involves. This would deserve a whole Forum by itself.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #55
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please, stay as far away from anything to do with Packard Bell as you can.
Don't see why, it had good reviews and does what I want.

Quote:
Of course, for husbands it's a completely different story that involves ... what it involves. This would deserve a whole Forum by itself.
I agree, you can simply ignore them at all times
Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #56
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I agree, you can simply ignore them at all times
You will always have my support! Ciaooo
Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #57
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
So Steve, do you object, or otherwise prevent, your readers from reading your books on a iPad/iPod ?
Neither. Of course, my ebooks are in multiple non-DRM'd formats, so you can buy them once, and shift them to whatever you have. You can't always do that with DRM'd books. And an app that is a book may not be shiftable to a non-Apple device.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 05-10-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #58
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Lock-in isn't just a problem for the iPad. Typically, it's far less of a problem on the iPad because almost all of the other DRMs can be read on the it...

There are ePub readers for most platforms available. Less true for DRM-specific apps, but they exist too. In general, you'll find that the more likely a device is to having an operating system that is used on multiple devices (Android for instance), the more likely it is that developers will be porting their eBooks apps to it...
Unfortunately, developers aren't being that comprehensive. As I mentioned, Win-based devices (outside of full-OS machines like PCs and laptops) are being excluded from almost everyone's development list. I wonder how many of these developers are developing in Linux? Did either of those OSs ever get Stanza, for instance? They may not be the top dogs of the OS world, but they are still out there, being used by a lot of people, and being left out.

Quote:
The apple devices don't require re-purchase to use on a different device. Purchasing once on your account is sufficient.
I was more concerned about purchasing an iPad ebook app--not the reading app, so much as the ebook itself--then wanting to shift it to a non-Apple device later on. Reading apps are cheap, but who wants to replace their library?

Quote:
I bought a Brew phone a few years ago from Verizon that was very expensive and very impressive. Unfortunately, the platform was closed and expensive to start development on, so there were essentially NO apps for it worth purchasing. Once I realized this, I decided my next purchase would be a phone that I knew had good development support.
I did exactly that, too: The LG Dare. Nice phone... completely locked down by Verizon. And that's why the phone I just replaced it with is an open platform... in my case, Windows-based, to allow me to shift most of the apps and files from my PDA.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #59
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Is it the voice of envy that my ears perceive?
not even close. I actually have a warding on my house against all things Apple (non organic)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #60
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
not even close. I actually have a warding on my house against all things Apple (non organic)
I'm having this mental image of Steve Jobs knocking on your door, screaming, and vanishing in a puff of smoke!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandwagon, ipad, proprietary