Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Hold with the replacement!

I posted this in a different thread... but I figured someone might find it useful...

The screen on my PW has gotten much better after two days of intense use. I am not sure what the issue is. Maybe cold, or humidity (the UPS guys left my PW on the porch, of course, with rain and cold weather...). But when I used it the first time I had a pink hue and a very uneven illumination. After two days of pretty-heavy use, I cannot notice any pink spot anymore. And it's not "I got used to it". It's just not there.

Of course, the problems at the bottom around the LEDs are still there, but that bothers me much less than the rest did.

So... my advice is just to use the device for a couple of days. Then again, I am not sure I understand what determined the change...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I had read that might be the case. I've only operated mine for about a day and so far it has had a slight greenish + pinkish tinge in low light situations. Mildly bothersome but not nearly enough for me to return it. I'm still seeing it, but it might just be a little less noticeable.

Apparently the capacitative layer is sprayed on. So maybe the hue is due to slight variation in thickness and associated prism-ing. Over time surface tension evens out the thickness and it goes away. How's that sound as an 'explanation'?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I posted this in a different thread... but I figured someone might find it useful...

The screen on my PW has gotten much better after two days of intense use. I am not sure what the issue is. Maybe cold, or humidity (the UPS guys left my PW on the porch, of course, with rain and cold weather...). But when I used it the first time I had a pink hue and a very uneven illumination. After two days of pretty-heavy use, I cannot notice any pink spot anymore. And it's not "I got used to it". It's just not there.

Of course, the problems at the bottom around the LEDs are still there, but that bothers me much less than the rest did.

So... my advice is just to use the device for a couple of days. Then again, I am not sure I understand what determined the change...
There are way too many posts about these problems to find the one which I mean - but it had already been speculated that the devices are so "factory-fresh" that there are still some glue patches/whatever which need to "stabilize"/evaporate. It had been mentioned in that post that a similar problem had previously been observed with another device (iPhone? Nook? Kobo? can't remember) and that it went away after a few days.

So given that you are experiencing the same thing, it sounds plausible to me.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

This is certainly possible. I'll check my defective one tomorrow when my eyes are focusing better. I haven't returned it yet. It could also be that if the PW only had minor issues the eyes and brain have simply adapted to it. Vision is after all rather interpretive and our brains can do some amazing things to improve our vision.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
A friend here (Spain) that got hers on time (do you see how annoyed I am.., nevermind ) had the same impression. She was super disappointed with those colour shadows she had on the screen. She left it on the garden table outside while she went shopping yesterday, it was a sunny day, and apparently when she used it again (trying to make a decision whether to send it back, keep it or ask for a replacement) the "stains" or shadows were gone. Obviously the shadows on the lower line directly due to the LEDs are there to stay, but she is really happy now with her PW. Sadly she did not make pics of before and after, so it is just hearsay for now.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
I've been hearing this theory since last Tuesday (glue drying and so forth), but unfortunately my pink and blue clouds are quite persistent.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Well I'll be, my defective PW has improved remarkably! It is now almost as good as my replacement PW.

EDIT: The defective one got bad again before I shipped it.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Wow that's interesting. Thanks for mentioning this, vxf. I know there's been various people mentioning glue drying and so forth so maybe it was that after all.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

deleted

Last edited by jswinden; 10-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Thanks vxf! I now recommend that anyone who gets (or got) a PW with a bad looking screen allow it to have several days to correct itself. I received my defective PW on Oct 2 and the screen still looked bad on Oct 5 when the replacement arrived. But now on Oct 7 it looks fairly good. So it took mine somewhere between 3 and 5 days to improve.
Not that it should make a difference, but has it been in or out of an Amazon case?

Last edited by Skydog; 10-07-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Not that it should make a difference, but has it been in or out of an Amazon case?
Oct 2 -- Oct 5:
It was in my cover, shown below. I don't think I ever closed the front panel of the cover, which would have sandwiched the PW between the front and back panels. Instead, I had the front panel folded back behind the back panel leaving the front of the PW exposed.

Oct 5 -- Oct 7:
I placed the PW back in its shipping box and closed the lid. The box was not taped shut nor was the PW placed in a plastic bag* and sealed. Air circulation would have been minimum but still quite possible.

*The email instructions I received for returning the PW state to "insert the Kindle into a plastic bag..."

Last edited by jswinden; 10-07-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
ZBoater
Gadgeteer Extraordinaire
ZBoater began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, Nexus 7, iPad 3
I recall reading about some screen issues with iPads due to the glue used in attaching the panels not being dry enough. After a few days of use the yellowish tint reported by some went away.

From reading all the screen issue posts there seems to be several different issues including production related, design related, and user expectation related. My advice is to make good use of Amazon's return policies. No reason you should be unhappy with your purchase.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I still got the blue and purple blotches. 2 days. Don't seem to be getting any better.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I still got the blue and purple blotches. 2 days. Don't seem to be getting any better.
Like jswinden stated it could take around 5 days for the Kindle PW to completely dry up and get rid of the screen blotches. So be patient it may save you the hazzle with Amazon service.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I posted in another thread that I read on the Amazon Forums that one person reported that the iPad 1 had bad screen problems when first released. In one week the problems disappeared entirely.

He mentioned it had been revealed than the the glue between the screen layers had not yet dried since they were the first units shipped. After one week the glue dried and all the problems disappeared.

Definitely do NOT return your PW until at least 10 days elapse.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote