Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Transformer (TF101) gets ICS update - anyone updated yet?

I see that US Transformers are supposed to start getting the Ice Cream Sandwich update tomorrow, but that it has already been released in Taiwan and elsewhere. Wondering if anyone's gotten it yet and what their thoughts are.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/a...-taiwan-takes/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Just finished my update and have only played a little bit. Seems pretty smooth, browsing seems smoother as well. The few apps I tested are running well.

Don't like the changes to how browser favorites are now displayed, haven't been able to locate a way to change it back to website name vs mini webpage it now displays.

Going to need to start digging around to find the goodies now.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After playing a bit I'm VERY happy with improvements to the stock browser.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
musicman2523
Groupie
musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.musicman2523 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook iq 701
There's a video on Nathans site: http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/
musicman2523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got the update now. Haven't had time to mess with it much, but so far I like it.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
apesmom
Wizard

After 24 hours still pretty happy except Flight Control keeps crashing. No other problems so far. It's like I got a brand new tablet!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
eisbaer
eisbaer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo - Asus TF 101 (ICS)
Updated to ICS 2 days ago. No reboots or crashes yet. I do have a problem with coolreader. Working with .epub coolreader doesn't show the letter e with 2 dots on it (ë). It shows a space in stead. Any idea how to solve this? Apart from that coolreader works very nice.
eisbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
My Transformer keeps telling me "No update available". I've tried the fixes listed elsewhere but it still won't work. Could it be that it is being released by region, and I'm in Australia?

I did download the zipped update from the ASUS site so I could update manually. But now I'm a little worried and I'm holding off. There's a lot of grumbles on the ASUS Transformer forum about the update being buggy. Nobody here had problems???
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
eisbaer
eisbaer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo - Asus TF 101 (ICS)
I've read about ppl having reboots after the update. I have not experienced any problems. Difference might be that I purchased the TF and after configuring wifi, immediately got the message to download ICS. ICS was installed on a 'clean' machine.

[edit]This morning it didn't recover from standby. A stalled image with the circle of dots. Had to turn if off completely.

Last edited by eisbaer; 03-03-2012 at 04:01 AM.
eisbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
My Transformer keeps telling me "No update available". I've tried the fixes listed elsewhere but it still won't work. Could it be that it is being released by region, and I'm in Australia?

I did download the zipped update from the ASUS site so I could update manually. But now I'm a little worried and I'm holding off. There's a lot of grumbles on the ASUS Transformer forum about the update being buggy. Nobody here had problems???
No problems here so far and yes it's my understanding that not all regions are getting the update at the same time.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
I've had a few issues since the update, nothing crippling but still. Sometimes it reboots when in standby mode and its locked up a couple of times in the last few weeks requiring a reset. I think it froze only once on me before the update. On the whole I love ICS though, it just seems slicker and smoother.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
apesmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
I've had a few issues since the update, nothing crippling but still. Sometimes it reboots when in standby mode and its locked up a couple of times in the last few weeks requiring a reset. I think it froze only once on me before the update. On the whole I love ICS though, it just seems slicker and smoother.
Me too, after about a week I started getting random reboots. Research says it may be due to incompatible apps and if you've got anything in market with updates ready you should get up to date. There's also a new update/ICS bug fix available from ASUS. I did major updating today so hopefully the reboots will stop.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Me too, after about a week I started getting random reboots. Research says it may be due to incompatible apps and if you've got anything in market with updates ready you should get up to date. There's also a new update/ICS bug fix available from ASUS. I did major updating today so hopefully the reboots will stop.
Thanks apesmom! Fingers crossed for ya (and me too )
Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
Is the update for ICS available through the tablet's auto update feature? I am not seeing it. I would REALLY like to fix this random reboot problem. It often gets stuck in a boot loop over night. It's really annoying... :/

As for the updates themselves, I think the changes with ICS didn't warrant the big version jump from 3 to 4. In my opinion, these features should have been included with Honeycomb in the first place.

So what's new? Well, spell check is new. I am one of the worst offenders when it comes to spelling, so these red lines under every other word are important to me.

They also allow you to change the right click button for the keyboard to a menu key. I have never seen it work with any apps, but it sure beats how it was the BACK key before. I was regularly knocking myself out of applications simply because of Win OS mouse habits. I really wish I had more options though.

I still cannot disable the touchpad tapping. Man I hate the tapping. I accidentally tap the pad all the time with my palms while typing. So, I still have to disable the touchpad while typing more than a few words...

You can now make folders on your desktop. Again, this should have been included with Honeycomb. The advantage now is that I did away with the launcher I was using. I still like the third party launcher better, but I want to try and minimize addons like that.

Splashtop still crashes for various reasons.

I like how I can remove apps from the task switcher by sliding them off. The ALT+TAB task switcher seems to behave better also.

That's about all I can think off. I haven't benchmarked the battery, but many people are complaining about obscene battery drain also.

Over all, I like the update. However, I need one more update to fix all this rebooting!
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #15
VaporPunk
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakura82 View Post
Is the update for ICS available through the tablet's auto update feature? I am not seeing it. I would REALLY like to fix this random reboot problem. It often gets stuck in a boot loop over night. It's really annoying... :/
Update is not available here in Belgium yet, but should be soon. AFAIK it is only available in North America so far.

Quote:
I like how I can remove apps from the task switcher by sliding them off.
Indeed, my favorite feature of ICS is this.

Quote:
That's about all I can think off. I haven't benchmarked the battery, but many people are complaining about obscene battery drain also.
Haven't really had this problem, but if it does get stuck in the afore-mentioned boot loop (which happened only once to me) it drains the battery fast. Getting proper battery info via settings has been nerfed too, not sure if this is ICS or Asus tho.