Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #12376
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Reading Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
You make me thirsty for some wizardry. Daaammnn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I was just thinking the same thing!

I'm re-reading 'Spring Snow' by Yukio Mishima. It's an old favourite. I've had a bad week, and re-reading old favourites is like comfort food to me. The beautiful prose never ceases to amaze me.
Kim Harrison (A Perfect Blood, book 10 in The Hollows series) and Jennifer Estep (By a Thread, book 6 in the Elemental Assassin series) both have February releases. They promise to be good reading while I'm waiting for Jim Butcher's 'Cold Days', book 14 of THe Dresden Files series to be released later this year.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #12377
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Kim Harrison (A Perfect Blood, book 10 in The Hollows series) and Jennifer Estep (By a Thread, book 6 in the Elemental Assassin series) both have February releases. They promise to be good reading while I'm waiting for Jim Butcher's 'Cold Days', book 14 of THe Dresden Files series to be released later this year.
Thanks, I am always happy to get recommendations!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #12378
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Infected:Bloodlines by Andrea Speed
A good second book in the series. I liked this one too, though it's even more obviously an AIDS allegory in this book.

And I liked it so much I've gone straight onto:
Infected:Life After Death by Andrea Speed
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #12379
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
I was just thinking the same thing!

I'm re-reading 'Spring Snow' by Yukio Mishima. It's an old favourite. I've had a bad week, and re-reading old favourites is like comfort food to me. The beautiful prose never ceases to amaze me.
In the end I bought Jim Dale's Harry Potter audiobooks. BTW, great listening.

I can't afford spending all that time re-reading HP again.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #12380
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Reading Recommendations

Quote:
Thanks, I am always happy to get recommendations!
Okay, Patricia Briggs has new release in March, I think the 4th (if you count the original novella) of the Alpha and Omega series, 'Fair Game'.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #12381
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:

Jim Dale's readings are excellent, if pricey.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #12382
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Harry Potter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Jim Dale's readings are excellent, if pricey.
Gee, I never realized that Jim Dale was British as well as not knowing that he reads the Potter audio books. Of course I don't own any audio books.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #12383
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Don't you fellows get the Stephen Fry readings of the HP audiobooks?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #12384
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Gee, I never realized that Jim Dale was British as well as not knowing that he reads the Potter audio books. Of course I don't own any audio books.
I love audio books. Got hooked with Books on Tape when I had a 1 hour drive each way to work every day. Now I have no commute at all, but I still use audio books for workouts and swimming, and when I have to take a trip for business. Listening to a well read book is a different, but equally pleasurable experience to reading it, IME. But the quality of the reader is critical.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #12385
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool audio books

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I haven't purchased an audio book since the media they were on was cassette tapes.

Quote:
I love audio books. Got hooked with Books on Tape when I had a 1 hour drive each way to work every day. Now I have no commute at all, but I still use audio books for workouts and swimming, and when I have to take a trip for business. Listening to a well read book is a different, but equally pleasurable experience to reading it, IME. But the quality of the reader is critical.
I really didn't like the ones I bought way back when. Too difficult to handle interruptions for one thing and not being read at the speed I'd prefer is another. Of course I don't commute any more either.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #12386
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Essentially no, though it is possible to do so. At Amazon.ca and at Amazon.com, they are not available directly, only from third party sellers. And quite expensive in all cases. But I've heard the Jim Dale version, and it's actually quite good, though I'd love to have the Stephen Fry version, if only because I love Stephen Fry and I'm sure he'd be an excellent reader.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #12387
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Now I have no commute at all, but I still use audio books for workouts and swimming...,
HOW do you manage that?! Do you have a waterproof player?

Quote:
But I've heard the Jim Dale version, and it's actually quite good, though I'd love to have the Stephen Fry version, if only because I love Stephen Fry and I'm sure he'd be an excellent reader.
They are very good, from what little I have heard. My eldest daughter has them all, and loved them to death. I'm quite surprised that they decided to have two different readers for the books. Maybe to allow for the differences in the UK and US versions (e.g. Philisopher's Stone vs. Sorcerer's Stone)?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #12388
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Death at the Bar" by Ngaio Marsh

Just finished "Death at the Bar" by Ngaio Marsh, the 9th book in the "Inspector Alleyn" series. In this book, a prominent London barrister is murdered in a village pub while on holiday at a small fishing village in Devon with his cousin, a prominent actor, and other friend, an artist. Chief Inspector Alleyn is called in to investigate.

After my slight disappointment with the previous book in the series, "Overture to Death", "Death at the Bar", published in 1939, really comes up the highest standards again, in my view. The characters are interesting, and the twists and turns in the plot clever and unexpected. The identity of the killer had me guessing right up to the final "exposee", with some very clever misdirection and "red herrings".

One of the nicest things about this series is the ongoing character development across the series. This book in particular is where we see much more of the deep friendship that exists between Chief Inspector Alleyn and his "Watson", Inspector Fox.

Thoroughly recommended!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #12389
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
"Flashback" by Dan Simmons
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #12390
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Halfway through The Kingdom Of Gods. The writing and story-telling is similar to that from book 1 and 2. Book 3 doesn't start from where book 2 ended.

When I finish this one I'm going to start on the third book: City of Dragons in the Rain Wilds Chronicles by Robin Hobb, published (February 7 2012).

I also stumbled upon the upcoming book: Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik in the Temeraire series. This has release date March 6.

There's going to be a bunch of interesting books to pick from during the next couple of months .
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote