Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #496
rausch74
rausch74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony-PRS300 & Delstar Openbook
Found a solution!!!!

My openbook/teclast started having the same power issues again. Always powers off correctly, but takes a lot of fiddling with to get it to power on.

At one point I had contacted Walgreens to see about a refund, but it was ~40 days after the purchase date and their return policy is only good for 30 days. Rather than put forth any effort towards customer service they basically told me to F.O.A.D.

So this $120 piece of worthless electronics sat on the shelf for several months until today when I came across a decent solution for what to do with it.

http://recycling.econewonline.com/sonystyle/?q=main

Sony will give you a $75 credit towards a Sony reader when you trade it in. They even cover the shipping cost. I think the purchase has to be through the Sony store, which is a bit overpriced, but the credit still makes it a good deal. They sell the Sony Pocket Edition for $150, so you end up getting 50% off....and you end up with a reader that actually works for $75.

Delstar, it was an interesting experiment but I can't say I'm sad to be rid of you.

-Andrew
rausch74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #497
gryphonreader
gryphonreader began at the beginning.

Device: iphone5, iPad3, Kobo Aura, Sony PRS1, Aluratak ereader, Palm Lifedrive
Hi
I'm almost afraid to say I'm considering buying a Teclast K5 from China after reading some of the comments regarding the Delstar. The chinese version does seem to have a better firmware release so hopefully that solves a bunch of the previous problems.

My main question though is - Can you read the Teclast OUTSIDE - I want a cheaper gadget to read outside when we're travelling and I don't want to run the risk of sea or sand getting into my iphone4. I also like to read in bed at night and want the back lit screen so any thoughts?

Cheers,
gryphonreader
gryphonreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #498
rausch74
rausch74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony-PRS300 & Delstar Openbook
Android tablet

Hi Gryphonreader,

With the prices dropping on Android tablets, I'd recommend one of those for outdoor reading compared to a Delstar/Teclast. Battery life will be a bit shorter, but the other features should help make up for that. Laputa reader for Android is a great reader and Aldiko reader isn't too shabby either.

If you can handle a resistive touchscreen the Archos 43 or Archos 5 both have pretty good reviews and aren't much spendier than the Delstar.

If you want a capacitive touchscreen, and can find one in stock somewhere, and aren't put-off by the $300 pricetag then the Archos 101 looks to be a good choice.
rausch74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #499
samhitha
samhitha began at the beginning.

Device: Delstar Openbook
Hi all
I just ordered a Delstar Openbook today. I just came across this forum and have a sinking feeling that I might have made a mistake I cannot find any information online and I obviously read the wrong reviews before buying it!

does anyone have anything good to say about this? I got it for 90$. Is it worth the money?
http://delstar.net doesnt even work- is this company dead and gone? If so, are there still firmware updates available anywhere at all??

I went to the Sony link above to see if this product could be traded in as soon as I receive it, but they dont recognize this brand. And the store I bought it from isnt accepting returns!!!

Please help!

Thanks
Sam
samhitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #500
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Delstar

Well I hope its gotten better but last I heard if you paid $90 for it you got taken badly.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #501
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I'm sorry samhitha, it was never a very good reader, and now if the website is gone I'm afraid... =[ =[

Where on earth did you buy it from?

The Delstar was a case of 'the hardware is good but the software stinks'.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #502
Slimjim3k
Slimjim3k began at the beginning.

Device: Delstar Open Book DS-1005
Well if it maters to anyone, I managed to upgrade mine to that Chinese 2.0 firmware and im not sure if it's because of that new firmware, but I can confirm that this does also play .FLV movies. Actually I extracted the files from the 2.0 firmware image, and in the files I found a folder full of manuals for multiple languages. The contents listed a page for video instructions, when I checked it out I found a line with supported formats. This is that exact line copy pasted, if anyone wants, I can upload the PDF or even the full extracted image.

"• Select a video file and press “ ” button to enter. It’s support
AVI, MP4, RMVB, RM, VOB, DAT, MPEG, FLV, 3GP format
video file"

Also would anyone happen to have a link to the site still putting out updates for the Chinese version of this?
Slimjim3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #503
hiri
hiri began at the beginning.

Device: delstar openbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rausch74 View Post
My Delstar quit powering on a while after loading their newest firmware. Reset didn't fix it. Finally got it turned on by repeatedly pressing reset while hooked to a pc via USB. Went ahead and loaded the v2.0 firmware for Teclast K5 and now my power issues seem to be solved. It also added support for bookmarking PDF files (yipee!!). The firmware can be obtained here:
ftp://d:d@58.248.4.28:2121/teclast/m...V2.00-A851.rar

I flashed using the tool & instructions from the Delstar site here:
http://delstar.net/ereader-upgrade-instructions

Only issue is once the firmware is installed everything is in Chinese. You have to browse to settings using the icons (unless you read Chinese) and then switch it to English. On the language screen nothing changes after you select English, but all the other menus are switched.
Good luck!!
Hi, I was able to get the firmware but the delstar site is down... can you, please post the instructions for flashing the firmware of the Openbook? Thank you very much
hiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #504
Darbost
Darbost began at the beginning.

Device: kindle and delstar
I bought this for a friend and I think it needs an update but I can't find anything on the internet. It does not read .pdf files correctly. I've searched and it does appear the delstar website is gone. Any suggestions? This was a "token" gift - not meant to be expensive but I expected it to work LOL....
Darbost is offline   Reply With Quote