Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Mimzy
Mimzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo now shipping with 1.4 installed

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd mention that I got my Kobo yesterday and it already had 1.4 installed on it. It's a mixed blessing as now I don't have to install it, but I hadn't really wanted to install the upgrade either.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.
Mimzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And why would you want the previously seriously buggy firmware?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Mimzy

I wanted the cover to stay on while it was off because I am that shallow.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I got my Kobo yesterday ...

From what source? Where do you live?

The units in the "back rooms" of my local (Southern California) Borders stores are all v1.0, as far as I could tell.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Mimzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... I got my Kobo yesterday ...

From what source? Where do you live?

The units in the "back rooms" of my local (Southern California) Borders stores are all v1.0, as far as I could tell.
Borders Traverse City, MI

I think they may have just gotten a second shipment in. Apparently the first shipment was only 3 units and they were all sold out within two weeks. Sometime between Thursday last and yesterday they got in a new shipment and I got the last Kobo of it.

You're right though. The display unit they brought out for me to play with had only 1.0 on it though.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
strangely enough, I've avoided the upgrade thus far *because* of the font-rescaling issue - I happily read through a few books with the screwed up tiny font size before finding out that it was supposed to be quite a bit bigger.

Since then, I've written some scripts using bash tools and calibre to strip formatting and set the font size where I want it, which is a bit bigger than it was, but still smaller than the "smallest" font size. I don't have any trouble reading the font that size, and it means more text per page, so....

If anyone knows of a way to get around the rescaling with 1.4, let me know, because I *would* like the rest of the fixes - but for know I'm happy enough with the "buggy" software
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimzy View Post
You're right though. The display unit they brought out for me to play with had only 1.0 on it though.
1.4 kobos probably aren't much good as display units since they keep switching off when customers aren't looking at them...
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimzy View Post
Hi everyone. Just thought I'd mention that I got my Kobo yesterday and it already had 1.4 installed on it. It's a mixed blessing as now I don't have to install it, but I hadn't really wanted to install the upgrade either.
And it was a time. After internet came in, everything simply
made speed up.
From recent posts I cannot see how people having trouble
went out of it. For future version 1.5 I'm sure I want SD card
method. Card image should not be 4gb, but as small as possible.
Small image might be dd-ed to any card size. If made as tar
ball, only issue is how to change file system on the card. Not
that hard.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote