Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #31
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You laugh, but I just got rid of two C64s with the 5.25" external floppy drives.
Well, I haven't gotten rid of mine, although I should. We also have here an Apple IIc and Apple IIGS.

Old Windows PC's, those I will trash.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #32
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF you dont like your Kindle Return it! Over 30 days purchase... Sell IT! Use the money for a Back up Nook! You Cant put Nook eBook on Kindles anyway! Or Kindle eBooks on Nooks!
Huh. I read Amazon books on my Nook color....

I don't really get the reason for freezing the kindle, but....each to his own, I guess.
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonentity View Post
I with uncooked rice inside to absorb moisture.
If uncooked rice could absorb moisture from cold air, wouldn't all sacks of rice be plump and cooked by the time they got to the store?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #34
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Ha!

Quote:
You laugh, but I just got rid of two C64s with the 5.25" external floppy drives. I couldn't bring myself to just pitch them, so I gave them to someone (who will probably pitch them unbeknownst to me).

The TI-99/4A preceded them by a year or so.
In my office, stuffed under a cabinet is a TRS-80 Model I, and in a corner of my garage is a TRS-80 Model III. Wish I still had my Kapro II.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #35
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
In my office, stuffed under a cabinet is a TRS-80 Model I
That's the computer I first learned to program on. It was my cousin's, and I cried when that model was discontinued before I could get one myself.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #36
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Already been answered, but I will second, since I do test electronics for a living. There might be some battery preservation, but there is also a chance of temperature changes and condensation causing fatal problems. I wouldn't suggest this practice.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #37
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
Only real case I can think off is saving files from somewhat dodgy hard drives, it does help sometimes. And ofcourse if you want to overclock them ;D

I wouldn't suggest storing it in such way, plastic and semi-conductors likely have no issues, screen might be worse off...
Yeah. I remember doing that with a few old HDDs after a crash to hopefully recover some data. But, past that... I still wouldn't put stuff like that in the freezer for fear of condensation ruining everything.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #38
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Is it April 1st?
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You laugh, but I just got rid of two C64s with the 5.25" external floppy drives. I couldn't bring myself to just pitch them, so I gave them to someone (who will probably pitch them unbeknownst to me).

Got rid of my 99/4A and expansion box, years ago.
I still have a old 386 with 5.25 drives I kept to read old business files. Seven years have past (easily) so the archives will be recycled.
Amazing the number of 5.25 floppy, tape cartriges,Zip 100 disks I have... All obsolete (an slow)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #40
dmunson
dmunson began at the beginning.

No. Bad idea. I also test electronics including subjecting electronics thermal cycling, long term cold (or hot) storage. Keep it comfortable and dry.
dmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #41
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Quote:

LOL, I STILL have an SX-64. (Portable C64 with a 5" screen)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_SX-64
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #42
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
The only way I can see this being feasible would be if the battery was able to be removed and put in the freezer. There was a old tale that it helps preserve battery life...but since it isn't removable I would say no.

Due to the long life usage of it I can't see that much of a demand to make the battery removable. If the life was only a few hours then I could see an argument.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote