Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #16
nonentity
nonentity began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
I don't plan on putting it in the freezer/fridge daily. It would be for long term storage. I bought a kindle 4 non touch a couple months ago and was unhappy with it (due to 10 minute screen saver, no folder support, indexing), so I bought a nook simple touch which I like much better and use that all the time. I would like to keep the k4nt as back up.

Will the k4nt battery be replaceable in the future?
nonentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonentity View Post
I don't plan on putting it in the freezer/fridge daily. It would be for long term storage. I bought a kindle 4 non touch a couple months ago and was unhappy with it (due to 10 minute screen saver, no folder support, indexing), so I bought a nook simple touch which I like much better and use that all the time. I would like to keep the k4nt as back up.

If you put it in the freezer you will kill it. The screen could bust not to mention other issues. I assure Amazon will not replace it either if you tell them what you did with it. You will void your warranty.

Kindles do not like cold. They run like a slug when they are cold and ghost really bad. For $79 battery life is serious not something to worry about.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #18
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Since I learned how easy it is, to access the battery on my k3. If I were to do such a thing, I would take the battery out and store it and not the entire unit. Matter of fact , I have taken my old battery 'still very good' and replaced it with one that has more capacity. My old battery now lives in my refrigerator in a vac pack, to extend 'or try to' its storage life.

Edit: I agree with the others here, do not put your kindle in the freezer, there are a very many possible nasty things that could happen to it.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 12-25-2011 at 11:27 AM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
...why would you think that putting your electronics in the freezer? I mean, maybe if I didn't like someone and wanted to accidentally destroy their stuff maliciously... But, my own? Not only no, but hell no.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Since I take my KK with me to work every day, and take several transit vehicles in each direction, such rapid temperature changes will be hitting my Kindle all winter long.

Does this stress my device? Yes.

My final answer will be a little different from some.

If nonentity has the new Kindle non-touch, the one with a battery that is impossible to replace, refrigeration may make sense. When every other non-touch every produced is a goner, the world's coolest K4NT may be the last still standing.

However, with all other models, I agree with everyone else here. Replacing the battery on the typical Kindle is just not that difficult.
The temp change is only on the surface. Storing for many Hours would allow all the components to get that cold.
Moving cold items into a warm room will condense moisture on the inside parts (as well as thermal stressing connections) which will corrode over time causing high resistance shorts.
This practice will severely shorten the life of the rest of reader, out weighting the battery life savings.
Cool storage is advised for long term (months) storage. Place the device in a Sealed Plastic Bag (displace as much air as possible, before sealing), only unsealing the bag after 12 hours of returning to room temperature.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
IF you dont like your Kindle Return it! Over 30 days purchase... Sell IT! Use the money for a Back up Nook! You Cant put Nook eBook on Kindles anyway! Or Kindle eBooks on Nooks!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #22
littleclown
littleclown doesn't litterlittleclown doesn't litter

Device: Kindle keyboard and Kindle 4 NT
I think the major issue of this idea is the condense inside the Kindle - put something else like a credit card in the freeze, get it in the room again and do this 2 steps multiple times - you will see that there will be some water on it. This will happen inside your kindle, and can brake it.
littleclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #23
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonentity View Post
Because it is glued into place, I can't see how.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #24
nonentity
nonentity began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
I decided to put my kindle in the refrigerator for long term storage at 40 percent charge wrapped in two zip lock bags with uncooked rice inside to absorb moisture. The temperature is 41 degrees F. I don't think this should be harmful at all. I'll check on it in a month and if it's dead then ill let you guys know.
nonentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What good is the extended battery life when the unit spends a month at a time in cold storage not being used to read anything? If you don't need/use it for month-long stretches... why own it? Just return it if you don't like it. A backup/replacement device is only ever a few days away (and will probably cost even less in the future) at the most.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #26
sejackson
sejackson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
It probably will not hurt it, provided you allow it to return to room temperature while still in the ziplock bag, since condensation will occur on the bag, not the Kindle. Same thing with coming in from the frozen outdoors with a camera.
sejackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #27
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Liquid Nitrogen would be better
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #28
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
...why would you think that putting your electronics in the freezer? I mean, maybe if I didn't like someone and wanted to accidentally destroy their stuff maliciously... But, my own? Not only no, but hell no.
Only real case I can think off is saving files from somewhat dodgy hard drives, it does help sometimes. And ofcourse if you want to overclock them ;D

I wouldn't suggest storing it in such way, plastic and semi-conductors likely have no issues, screen might be worse off...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #29
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you don't need/use it for month-long stretches... why own it?
So you think it about time for me to pitch the Commodore 64
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
So you think it about time for me to pitch the Commodore 64
You laugh, but I just got rid of two C64s with the 5.25" external floppy drives. I couldn't bring myself to just pitch them, so I gave them to someone (who will probably pitch them unbeknownst to me).

The TI-99/4A preceded them by a year or so.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-26-2011 at 05:18 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote