Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
quej
quej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
[Solved] Bricked K4NT with Duokan

Hello Everyone,

I've recently upgraded Duokan on my K4NT and it freezed at reset (see picture).
I've tried Kubrick to unbrick it, but i'm unable to navigate through menus with this frozen screen.
I got some linux skills and i tried to "play" with fastboot command on my device. I can read variables, make the led blink (coool!) and reboot the device but i'm still stuck

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Long live to mobileread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131001_113929.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	112479  

Last edited by quej; 10-02-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: solved
quej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by quej View Post
Hello Everyone,

I've recently upgraded Duokan on my K4NT and it freezed at reset (see picture).
I've tried Kubrick to unbrick it, but i'm unable to navigate through menus with this frozen screen.
I got some linux skills and i tried to "play" with fastboot command on my device. I can read variables, make the led blink (coool!) and reboot the device but i'm still stuck

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Long live to mobileread
Hmm.... well at least one good news: the screen doesn't look broken (that is often enough the cause of problems...)

It rather looks like the "typical" distorted screen that the K4 gives before it's entering diags mode.

But I don't know why Kubrick can't make you enter that mode - it should work.

Just a few random thoughts:

1. have you tried to manually boot to diags using usb downloader mode with imx_usb?
2. have you tried to manually boot to main using usb downloader mode with imx_usb?
If 1. and 2. failed:
3. can you boot to fastboot mode? (I assume you can from your description)
3a. in fastboot mode, flash the diags kernel.
3b. in fastboot mode, flash the diags partition.
3c. in fastboot, set boot mode to diags (I think it's something like "fastboot setvar bootmode diags", but I don't currently know the exact syntax, so it might be wrong.
3d. reboot into diags: "fastboot reboot".

If that doesn't fix your problem, then I'm afraid I don't know what's going on. You'll be largely on yourself, but look at this (huge) thread if you haven't before: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

If you keep having troubles, ask here or in the abovementioned thread. If you solved the problem, please also let us know how exactly you solved it. Duokan has been causing various troubles, but most of them are still a mystery
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
I just don't get why you need to navigate any menus on Kindle to flash the firmware
All you need is to put it into USB Downloader mode, no matter what is on the screen.
Then just let Kubrick do its work...
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I just don't get why you need to navigate any menus on Kindle to flash the firmware
All you need is to put it into USB Downloader mode, no matter what is on the screen.
Then just let Kubrick do its work...
Well, you do have to manually enable USB network after flashing the diags kernel/partition, but before you can write the main kernel/partition... Maybe that's what quej was referring to?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I kind of recall someone posting the amount of DOWN DOWN DOWN PRESS etc.. somewhere once...

Perhaps that could make it into the docs? for such occasions. just a thought.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
quej

Thanks for your replies.
I've tried all procedures suggested by ixtab.
1 failed (no changed in the display).
2 gave me the image in attachment.
3a to d seems to do the same thing as kubrick script, so no changes.

Maybe twobob is right, i should strike keys blind.
Can someone give me the "Konami code" for my K4NT in 4.1.1 firmware?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20131001_201011.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	112533  
Old 10-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)

Errrm... I might be wrong, but that picture seriously suggests that you charge your Kindle. For a long time, like an entire day. Then continue with the procedure...

And the Kubrick page explicitly says this:

If something goes wrong while debricking:
[...]
Make sure that your Kindle is charged. If you keep having problems while debricking, stop - and charge the battery using a wall charger for at least 20 hours. Then restart the procedure. Discharged Kindles are the #1 cause of weird behavior.

PS: I made that even redder now in the Kubrick thread...

Last edited by ixtab; 10-01-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
quej

ok, sorry for that.
See you tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
quej

I woke up this morning (Paris time) with "green light".
I've tried again points 1,2 and 3 suggested by ixtab.
The only difference is that, with point 2, it's now stuck with kindle progress bar (see attachment).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20131002_072153.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	112570  
Old 10-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
quej

After more than an hour with kindle progress bar stuck, it finally started.
The system was still stange (no usb) so i started Kubrick again with success.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #11
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
After more than an hour with kindle progress bar stuck, it finally started.
The system was still stange (no usb) so i started Kubrick again with success.

Nice call on waiting! I'm never patient enough and usually make things MUCH worse! Congrats!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote