Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
lektor
lektor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Different styles for landscape and portrait?

Hi, I am using and enjoying KoReader on my Kobo Forma and have tweaked many settings to get a great experience. There's just one thing on my wish list I haven't been able to figure out.

I like to switch between landscape and portrait frequently. I find one or the other more comfortable depending on how I'm sitting/lying, and sometimes I just like to switch to stop one position getting cramped.

I'd love to be able to automatically switch styles when I rotate, to either:
a) increase the margins on landscape, so the line-length stays similar to portrait, OR
b) decrease the font-size on landscape and take advantage of the two-column layout

Is it possible? I know how to do this in css using @media (orientation: landscape), but my attempts to do this through a styletweak css (or epub.css) have not been successful.
lektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's a PR open for a profile system to keep specific settings around. I would assume that would help with stuff like that.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
lektor
lektor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There's a PR open for a profile system to keep specific settings around. I would assume that would help with stuff like that.
Thank you. I guess it's more trying to figure out a way to make the styles dynamically respond to a change in orientation. Media queries don't seem to work, I guess because CSS3 isn't supported. I tried using 'vw' instead of % or px, but that doesn't seem supported either.

Anyway very much a niche use case and still very happy with KoReader!
lektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lektor View Post
I guess because CSS3 isn't supported.
Sure it is, just not various modules/parts of it. :-P Firefox didn't really support media queries until many years after I very enthusiastically started adopting them in Opera in 2005.

Ereaders are a lot more uniform than browser windows; tbh I would expect you to read EPUBs either in landscape or in portrait without switching between the two but it's certainly an interesting question.

Doesn't specifying the margin in % work? It wouldn't be as dynamic but 10 % in landscape would still be many more pixels than in portrait.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote