Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
KingJ
Junior Member
KingJ began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Moon+ Reader Pro
Question CC not writing updated metadata to file?

I'm not sure if i'm making a mistake here or if there's an issue with CC, but when I edit a book's metadata in Calibre and then update the device metadata, the updated metadata doesn't appear to be written down to the file. Here's what i'm doing;
  1. Edit an existing book's metadata in Calibre
  2. Connect Calibre Companion to Calibre as a Wireless Device, opting to Sync
  3. Manually trigging "Update cached metadata on this device" from Calibre

However, after doing this Moon+ Reader didn't recognise that the metadata has changed. Thinking it could be an issue with Moon+ Reader, I copied the EPUB back off the device and checked the OEBPS\package.opf file. This still had the old metadata in it despite having updated it in Calibre and forcing a metadata refresh on the device.

In Calibre Companion itself the metadata is correct, but it looks like the file itself that Calibre Companion is managing on my device wasn't updated.

To work around this, I need to tell Calibre to remove the book from the device and then re-send it.

Is there a better way that I can push updated metadata from Calibre?

I'm currently using Version 5.3.5.2 (381) with Calibre 3.7.

Many thanks
KingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dopedangel's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,605
Karma: 28506885
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJ View Post
I'm not sure if i'm making a mistake here or if there's an issue with CC, but when I edit a book's metadata in Calibre and then update the device metadata, the updated metadata doesn't appear to be written down to the file. Here's what i'm doing;
  1. Edit an existing book's metadata in Calibre
  2. Connect Calibre Companion to Calibre as a Wireless Device, opting to Sync
  3. Manually trigging "Update cached metadata on this device" from Calibre

However, after doing this Moon+ Reader didn't recognise that the metadata has changed. Thinking it could be an issue with Moon+ Reader, I copied the EPUB back off the device and checked the OEBPS\package.opf file. This still had the old metadata in it despite having updated it in Calibre and forcing a metadata refresh on the device.

In Calibre Companion itself the metadata is correct, but it looks like the file itself that Calibre Companion is managing on my device wasn't updated.

To work around this, I need to tell Calibre to remove the book from the device and then re-send it.

Is there a better way that I can push updated metadata from Calibre?

I'm currently using Version 5.3.5.2 (381) with Calibre 3.7.

Many thanks
The metadata refresh only changes the metadata stored in calibre companion not the ebooks to do what you want you will need to first use polish to update the metadata in the books in calibre then connect calibre companion using wireless device sync new books option so that the books are sent again to calibre companion.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,259
Karma: 13599467
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJ View Post
In Calibre Companion itself the metadata is correct, but it looks like the file itself that Calibre Companion is managing on my device wasn't updated.
As you found out when you connect to calibre as a wireless device, calibre updates CC with the proper metadata. Since CC is meant to be the library manager which you use to open books in whichever reader you choose there is no reason any file needs to be updated. I use Moon+ Reader as my reader too and never have any reason to wonder if the metadata in the epub was accurate. I never actually use Moon+ Reader to navigate my books or open them.

You have discovered the only work around to accomplish what you want.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
KingJ
Junior Member
KingJ began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: Moon+ Reader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
The metadata refresh only changes the metadata stored in calibre companion not the ebooks to do what you want you will need to first use polish to update the metadata in the books in calibre then connect calibre companion using wireless device sync new books option so that the books are sent again to calibre companion.
Are there any potential downsides to running the Polish operation? I tried it on a few books and it seemed to do the trick - the files were updated and CC then synced them with the new metadata. The only downside I can see is that I need to remember to run a Polish after updating the metadata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
As you found out when you connect to calibre as a wireless device, calibre updates CC with the proper metadata. Since CC is meant to be the library manager which you use to open books in whichever reader you choose there is no reason any file needs to be updated. I use Moon+ Reader as my reader too and never have any reason to wonder if the metadata in the epub was accurate. I never actually use Moon+ Reader to navigate my books or open them.

You have discovered the only work around to accomplish what you want.
I hadn't thought to use CC as the selector and Moon+ Reader as just a reader, but now that you mention it CC seems very much set up to act as a selector. I prefer having it all in one app but this could also be a potential option.
KingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #5
milady133
Connoisseur
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 77
Karma: 576010
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Spain
Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJ View Post
Are there any potential downsides to running the Polish operation? I tried it on a few books and it seemed to do the trick - the files were updated and CC then synced them with the new metadata. The only downside I can see is that I need to remember to run a Polish after updating the metadata.
There's just one thing to keep in mind, if you change the metadata affecting the file name (for example, you correct the title of the book and when you re-send a book to the device the title is part off the name of the file) you'll either have two files (although in CC you'll only see one) or the old file would be deleted when sending the new one (Chaley can confirm what's the actual behaviour, I can't remember what it was).
If you had already began to read the book in MoonReader, you'll either see both books, or the old book (with its reading position, bookmarks and anotations) will be lost as MoonReader will treat the new file as a new book.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
DoctorOhh's Avatar
 
Posts: 9,259
Karma: 13599467
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Carolina
Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJ View Post
I hadn't thought to use CC as the selector and Moon+ Reader as just a reader, but now that you mention it CC seems very much set up to act as a selector. I prefer having it all in one app but this could also be a potential option.
If the version of Android you run supports widgets you might want to check out CCs widgets, it makes reopening recently read books a snap. Never have to actually open CC or Moon+ Reader to resume reading your book.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:26 AM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dopedangel's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,605
Karma: 28506885
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Singapore
Device: Coolreader(Nexus 5)\Coolreader(Nook Touch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJ View Post
Are there any potential downsides to running the Polish operation? I tried it on a few books and it seemed to do the trick - the files were updated and CC then synced them with the new metadata. The only downside I can see is that I need to remember to run a Polish after updating the metadata.



I hadn't thought to use CC as the selector and Moon+ Reader as just a reader, but now that you mention it CC seems very much set up to act as a selector. I prefer having it all in one app but this could also be a potential option.
It just changes the metadata of your calibre stored books. Personally I think it is better to update the files using polish as if you ever loose your calibre database because of corruption etc. You will loose most of the changes and have to restart when you re add the books.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
metadata not being updated madzharov Library Management 4 10-18-2013 12:06 PM
Update Mobi file in Kindle after metadata updated in Kindle ?!? rascalina Calibre 0 06-09-2013 07:54 PM
Any plans for writing ONIX metadata? TwentyOrLess Plugins 1 04-29-2013 10:59 PM
Metadata updated in file versus in DB ATimson Calibre 1 02-21-2010 09:15 PM
updated metadata=updated file? jomaweb Calibre 13 01-28-2010 08:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.