Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
It is still working fine

Well..I created this thread..so..
I think it is quite obvious that i'm using this soft ;3
The reader works fine ;>

BTW.
"Porcupan" and "Boroda" have same Avatars.
We are talking about the same person right? ^^;
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by osowiecki View Post
"Porcupan" and "Boroda" have same Avatars.
We are talking about the same person right? ^^;
Right. Those two are the same person. However, the idea for the hack was mostly igorsk's (and independently achieved by admin).
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
can i use this firmware and keep french language ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
can i use this firmware and keep french language ?
Absolutely. The FW adds support for new languages (namely, Eastern European and Cyrillic based languages), it doesn't take any languages away. However, the Dutch menu is replaced by Russian. If that's OK with you, you can use it.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #20
millhoy
millhoy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Uh oh, I installed with the boroda method and my PRS-600 won't stop resetting. It comes on for 1 second, says Opening Book, then repeats. When I try to connect to my computer it connects, then connects, then disconnects, etc.
Working on a solution. Will post when I find one (which I will)
millhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #21
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okalyddude View Post
so now all you great programmers out there can try to do some fun things:
I'd love to, but there are no obvious guides on how they have created their alternative firmware. Not to mention I prefer not to fool around with a $300 reader based on badly translated instructions and no way to ask questions myself, if the need would arise
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #22
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
I'd love to, but there are no obvious guides on how they have created their alternative firmware. Not to mention I prefer not to fool around with a $300 reader based on badly translated instructions and no way to ask questions myself, if the need would arise
I wouldn't either.

As far as the methods of creating the firmware, they've been described since forever in the Sony Reader Development forums. These particular firmwares were put together manually, but the algorithms didn't change much from the time of PRS-500.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #23
millhoy

No solution found for my resetting PRS-600. I'm still under warranty so Sony is sending a me a new one and I have 16 days to return the old.
I advise waiting for a proper English translation of the install.
GL all.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #24
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Will we expect a custom firmware similar to the PRS-300?
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #25
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I used the Amutin version and all went well. I now have a clock like my 505.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #26
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I too used the Amutin method without issue. I like having my clock back!
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #27
millhoy

I fixed the issues that I had with the borada version by constantly resetting and powering on. After about 20-25 times it loaded properly. Sony is still sending a new one, but just in case anyone else has the restarting issue- this is the solution I found.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #28
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhoy View Post
Sony is still sending a new one
And why is that? Do you need a new one, or you just want a new one because the old one is supposedly "broken"?

Quote:
I fixed the issues that I had with the borada version by constantly resetting and powering on. After about 20-25 times it loaded properly. , but just in case anyone else has the restarting issue- this is the solution I found.
And after you "fixed" those issues, does your reader now have a clock and other features, or is it back to where it had been before you even started? Just wondering if the flashing happened at all, or your reader just went through a series of empty reboots.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #29
millhoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
And why is that? Do you need a new one, or you just want a new one because the old one is supposedly "broken"?

And after you "fixed" those issues, does your reader now have a clock and other features, or is it back to where it had been before you even started? Just wondering if the flashing happened at all, or your reader just went through a series of empty reboots.
After Russifying using the boroda method I reset my reader and after that it kept reseting instantly after saying opening book (no longer than a second afterwards), my reader was unable to connect to my pc and it reset too early to do a hard reset. After trying to fix my reader for an entire day I called Sony hoping that they would be able to have a solution (without admitting too much). The tech support guy had no idea what to do (after exhausting all possible troubleshooting methods), so he offered to send another one because I was still in warranty.

After the "fix" I now have the clock and other features. While waiting for Sony to send another Reader I said "What the heck" and tried to find more options to get my Reader up and started again. I wanted to see if there was a solution because I still wanted the clock. After another day of searching I came across a weird tip for the PRS-505. Someone was able to unbrick their 505 by rebooting then resetting as soon as the "opening book" screen started 10 times. I was out of options so I tried it endlessly (maybe 25-40 times) and it came back on.

It did flash. I just had a weird experience. Hopefully this will help anyone who runs into the same problem. BTW my Sony has already arrived. That was fast.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #30
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Hi,

I found this topic and I was wondering, is there an English translation for the instructions? I would not rely on Google for this and, I can't even find the place where to download the file(s) from.

Thanks,

L
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs 300, prs 505, prs 600, prs 700