Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Saturday 22 August: Edinburgh Book Festival

Announcing a MobileRead Meet-Up in Edinburgh (Scotland), to co-incide with the Edinburgh International Book Festival.

Details as follows:

Date:
Saturday 22nd August

Time:
2.30 pm

Place:
At the Book Festival venue in Charlotte Square. We'll meet in the cafe in the Highland Spiegeltent, which is on your left as you come in through the main entrance.

How to recognise us:
Look for the A4 Mobile Read logo. Failing that, just look for a bunch of intelligent-looking people poring over various hand-held devices.

Other details:
At present, the plan is to meet over coffee or a beer, and then perhaps to visit the festival together, with the possibility of continuing into dinner in the evening.

About the festival
Entry to the festival is free and open to all. There are book displays, exhibits, and some free entertainment and events. There is also an extensive programme of talks, workshops and discussions. These are not free, and the more popular ones get booked up well in advance, though others can be booked at the last minute.

On the day of our meet-up, the programme will include contributions from Henning Mankell (creator of the Wallender books), Pico Iyer (the biographer of the Dali Lama), Anne Fine (noted children's author), Alexander McCall Smith (one of our most popular local authors), and many more. More information about these events from www.edbookfest.co.uk.

RSVP
If you can definitely make the meet-up (and I hope you can), RSVP here so that we will know to look out for you. But if you don't manage to let us know in advance, or if you come on the spur of the moment, that's OK too.

Last edited by Mike L; 07-24-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
"Highland Spiegeltent" ? is this actually a thinly disguised meetup in... GERMANY ??? (where's ravenne ?)

sounds like a wonderful plan !! i wish i could join you. i'll be counting on everyone who attends to help the rest of us experience every moment vicariously.

don't forget to alert a mod when you get a bit closer to the day (2 or 3 weeks notice should be about right) so we can post a reminder on the front page.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
For those with a Facebook account, the event has been created here!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Oh dear, is that a good idea? One hears "horror stories" of people advertising their parties on Facebook, and thousands turning up and riots ensuing. One can just imagine the scene in Edinburgh with riot police trying to hold back hordes of crazed reader-wielding people trying to force their way into the event...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
"Highland Spiegeltent" ? is this actually a thinly disguised meetup in... GERMANY ??? (where's ravenne ?)
Nope, Dutch!

Spiegeltent... Would that be easier to show the devices to everybody, using the mirrors? Usually you find those things on carnivals...

(spiegel = mirror).

Oh, can't come, we'll be going to Delfsail then.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The word is the same in Dutch and German .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The word is the same in Dutch and German .
Yep. Pronunciation is different though...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Nope, Dutch!

Spiegeltent... Would that be easier to show the devices to everybody, using the mirrors? Usually you find those things on carnivals...

(spiegel = mirror).

Oh, can't come, we'll be going to Delfsail then.
No, no, Spiegel is [SIZE="-4"](also)[/SIZE] a German word
This Spiegeltent-festival sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I could be there.
@Sweetpea: Have fun at the festival of the seven seas!
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Oh dear, is that a good idea? One hears "horror stories" of people advertising their parties on Facebook, and thousands turning up and riots ensuing. One can just imagine the scene in Edinburgh with riot police trying to hold back hordes of crazed reader-wielding people trying to force their way into the event...
yes. definitely a dangerous proposition. you know how crazed and reckless (and innumerable) those literary types are. especially the ones with gadgets ! my god, it'll be madness. someone should probably alert the riot police in advance, so they can set up a tight perimeter. or maybe the meetup should go underground, like a rave, and you'd text the location to the legitimate participants at the last minute. fiou, the mere idea gives me chills down the spine !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
<Tries to reconcile idea of riot with normal behaviour in Edinburgh during the Festival.> I think the police could have difficulty differentiating the rioters from normal visitors, performers and promotional agents. During the Festival, Edinburgh is somewhat busy, full of people doing mad things to advertise their events and shows.

That all said, I'll probably drop a line to the EBF folks to let them know (they were fine with it last year).
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
As some of you may know, my best friend's son (he's very much like one of my own children) will be performing at the American High School Theatre Festival which runs in conjunction with the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. His theatre group is from our local high school, Fauquier High School in Warrenton, VA. The play they will be performing is "The Bald Soprano" which will run at the Church Hill Theatre in the studio (Venue #137).
The performances are:
Aug 10 @ 19:15 Aug 11 @ 13:15
Aug 13 @ 17:15 Aug 15 @ 19:15

He is a wonderful young man (the arm-pit hugs he insists on subjecting me too, not with-standing ~ I'm 5' 3", he's well over 6' ) who has been through a lot this year, so this is a huge achievement for him of which we are all exceedingly proud. He's leaving for the UK today, and could probably fly there without the plane, he's that excited. If you think you might get a chance to see the play, please send me a PM and I'll give you a few more details. I would love to hear from anyone who attends. Thanks.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Kaz,

The American High School Theatre is always a popular event at the Festival Fringe. They've been coming here for many years now. I've never heard of the Bald Soprano, but I'll keep it in mind when I'm planning which shows to go to.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Kaz,

The American High School Theatre is always a popular event at the Festival Fringe. They've been coming here for many years now. I've never heard of the Bald Soprano, but I'll keep it in mind when I'm planning which shows to go to.
Thanks, Mike. It's a new one on me, too! They did a dress rehearsal for families on Saturday but I missed it. I had had oral surgery Thursday and still wasn't feeling well. I do know that he was watching movies where the characters had British accents so they could pick it up for their characters in the play. I asked him why they would choose a play where they had to pretend to be British for people that really were British. He told me, "Because we can," and included an eyebrow raise for good measure. Teenagers.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
announcements, edinburgh, events, scotland