Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
Lit files?

I have a TON of lit files. I currently use Microsoft Reader on an Aspire One UMPC. Now, do all the readers support lit files? Or is it only one type of reader that supports these? If I can't use them on a Kindle, or other reader, can they be converted? This is going to have a decision on which I buy of course.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
I have a TON of lit files. I currently use Microsoft Reader on an Aspire One UMPC. Now, do all the readers support lit files? Or is it only one type of reader that supports these? If I can't use them on a Kindle, or other reader, can they be converted? This is going to have a decision on which I buy of course.
None of the dedicated readers out now support lit. However you can use Calibre to convert them to LRF (Sony), ePub (Sony) or PRC (Kindle, Cybook, BeBook, other Mobi supporting decives) in a few simple clicks.

Note, if your Lit's are DRM'd you'd have to remove the DRM first.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Jaie
Connoisseur

No idea to be honest. They're just lit files to me. OK, I will check into the converter. Is it just a drag and drop tool or is this not going to be worth me converting wha tis eseentially thousands of books?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No idea to be honest. They're just lit files to me. OK, I will check into the converter. Is it just a drag and drop tool or is this not going to be worth me converting wha tis eseentially thousands of books?
There may be a way to batch convert, I'm not sure (someone here will know). In the Calibre GUI you can drag & drop your files and then you select the out put format you want from a drop down & click convert.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Jaie
Connoisseur

OK that sounds easy enough. Sounds like I need to decide on a reader before converting to any one format anyhow.
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
None of the dedicated readers out now support lit.
None of them support LIT with DRM. The Hanlin/BeBook/EZReader does read LIT.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If the files are Secure LIT (i.e. have DRM encryption) then only MS Reader can read them, and this is only available for Windows and Windows Mobile.

All is not lost, because "ConvertLIT GUI" can strip DRM from LIT ebooks (note this isn't legal in some places, but it is hard to see who it hurts if you do it only for personal use on ebooks you bought). Several programs can convert DRM-free LIT to other ebook formats. For example Calibre (which has its own forum here) converts to LRF (Sony Readers) and MOBI (several EInk readers) and ePub (Sony again, but also many other devices soon and iPhone via Stanza today).

If you want to use a batch script to convert, then ConvertLIT (no GUI) and Calibre have command line options. I think Calibre will tell you about DRM if you try importing a few of your existing LITs without stripping the DRM. As a general rule, if you had to use Windows Internet Explorer to download your ebooks they have DRM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Jaie
Connoisseur

It's down to three machines, so I guess once I decide, at least now I have an idea on how to take all my current titles with me. I've already read the pitfalls of PDF so those I'll have decide what to do with.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Jaie
Connoisseur

Out of curiosity, does the eBookwise ETI2 support lit files?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
None of them support LIT with DRM. The Hanlin/BeBook/EZReader does read LIT.

BOb
My bad, didn't realize that.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Out of curiosity, does the eBookwise ETI2 support lit files?
Not on it's own, but they can be converted to imp...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20592
Old 02-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There may be a way to batch convert, I'm not sure (someone here will know). In the Calibre GUI you can drag & drop your files and then you select the out put format you want from a drop down & click convert.
There's a way to batchconvert every file in a given directory to Mobipocket using mobiperl and the Windows CLI:
Code:
for "%1" in ("*.lit") do lit2mobi "%1"
You should be able to modify this to any other command line converter, and *nix-systems should have some similar mechanism as well.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote