Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
ratpack
ratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to behold

Device: none
Dead battery in a Kobo

My wife's kobo was on 80% last night; it was dead this morning. She charged it for an hour or so before leaving for work but as she unplugged it she could see the battery charge draining down. Empty within a few minutes.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Is it just beyond any hope? It's only about 2 years old.
ratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpack View Post
My wife's kobo was on 80% last night; it was dead this morning. She charged it for an hour or so before leaving for work but as she unplugged it she could see the battery charge draining down. Empty within a few minutes.

Anyone experienced anything similar? Is it just beyond any hope? It's only about 2 years old.
Could be due to corrupt firmware. Or an internal short. could also be a stuck button if its the older kobo. But in the event it is actually the battery I think you can order a new battery via ebay rather cheap. Although with the holidays soon approaching I wonder if your wife might like the Aura HD or the Newest Aura as a gift instead?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Although with the holidays soon approaching I wonder if your wife might like the Aura HD or the Newest Aura as a gift instead?
+1 I approve this message!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
buy an new battery AND a new kobo Aura
the new battery to wait till Christmas and the new kobo Aura to put under the Christmas Tree
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'd do a factory reset and then see how it holds a charge. Also eliminate sleep sensor mode and magnetic covers as they have potentially kept a reader live if something like a pocket blocked the IR before the cover closed all the way and the sleep mode was activated. Worth checking into unless you've had a steadily declining battery problem.

Oh yeah, and shut the WIFI off. That'll drain it fast enough that you can watch it if updating.

Unlike others, I won't tell you how to spend your money.

Last edited by TechniSol; 09-26-2013 at 04:36 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
ratpack
ratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to beholdratpack is a marvel to behold

Device: none
Thanks everyone for replies. We let it drain right down again and charged it on USB port of the PC. It drained down again, but this time only as far as about 57%. Then it held from then on. Charged it again yesterday and it's now at about 80%.

Very peculiar.

I'm not ready to get an Aura yet; waiting to see more reviews and check one out in store. It's so expensive. Just psychologically I can't see paying that for a reader. Maybe if it really impresses...

Meanwhile the Touch seems to now be at least holding up. Wi-fi wasn't on; she leaves it off most of the time. She also just uses a plain cloth cover to protect it.
I just turned on the wi-fi and downloaded an update to 2.5. The current software version is showing as 2.5.2 dated 5/7/13.

I'll monitor it over the next few days.

Thanks again!
ratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Your Kobo is learning to indicate correct charge state. Now indicates correct charge.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Sure sounds like it is calibrating the meter/charge cycle. Was it left to run down really low for a long while or something?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpack View Post
Thanks everyone for replies. We let it drain right down again and charged it on USB port of the PC. It drained down again, but this time only as far as about 57%. Then it held from then on. Charged it again yesterday and it's now at about 80%.

Very peculiar.

I'm not ready to get an Aura yet; waiting to see more reviews and check one out in store. It's so expensive. Just psychologically I can't see paying that for a reader. Maybe if it really impresses...

Meanwhile the Touch seems to now be at least holding up. Wi-fi wasn't on; she leaves it off most of the time. She also just uses a plain cloth cover to protect it.
I just turned on the wi-fi and downloaded an update to 2.5. The current software version is showing as 2.5.2 dated 5/7/13.

I'll monitor it over the next few days.

Thanks again!
Going for the Aura would only be a viable option depending on cost of battery and time and effort to replace. meaning the cost of a new device might out weigh the frustration, and hair pulling on replacing the battery if updating to new firmware and recalibration of battery doesn't work.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote