Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
ah_ha
ah_ha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire Model D01400
How can i run python (standalone version? ) on my kindle fire?

Hello,

I'm enjoying learning python, and would like to be able to study and practice on the go, using my kindle fire reader. (wifi enabled).

Amazon does have an app, Qpython lite, but requires a live wifi connection to the internet to run. I'm looking for a simple python app, stand alone that i can run on my kindle, without an internet connection, just to practice while i learn. (Just a simple terminal, and text editor, and python? like ubuntu offers.)

I've tried downloading portable python, and couldnt' get it to run ('can't run in DOS mode?'), I've tried downloading ubuntu to my kindle and couldn't, and tried downloading the whole 2.7 python app, but couldn't get it to run.

I tried to root my kindle, but as I'm inexperienced in tech, i'm not sure if I was successful, and not sure how this helps (if I was successful.)

I have both windows 7 and ubuntu (dual boot) on my laptop, and can connect my kindle to the laptop via usb cable. I have "accept downloads from other applications" enabled on my kindle. On my kindle I have 'better terminal emulator pro' , ES file explorer, and droidedit.

Any help is appreciated, I'm willing to follow step by step instructions to get python running on my kindle. I will supply any other details required.

My kindle fire specs are : Model D01400
ah_ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
This board is dedicated to the e-ink readers, so it's not the right place to discuss KFire issues, I think. You should have a look at general Android-targeted boards to get more info. When not present in Amazons App Store, you probably need to sideload an app that does what you want. A terminal emulator is a good start, while root is probably not strictly needed (but might be for sideloading apps).

You need a version of python for the ARM architecture. Whether you can freely execute downloaded binaries is another issue, though. Python is mostly worthless without its standard libraries, I think. On a standard linux distribution, that's a bunch of .py files plus probably some C/C++-to-Python glue code (just guessing here).

Googling for "python on android" returns a lot of hits. I guess you need to wade through this. Maybe others in the Kindle related boards have more targeted suggestions.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Moved to correct Forum
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
ah_ha

Thanks hawhill, I'm open to suggestions and any help offered.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Qpython+ may be of interest. In Amazon appstore, compatible with Fire, free.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_ha View Post
Hello,

I'm enjoying learning python, and would like to be able to study and practice on the go, using my kindle fire reader. (wifi enabled).

Amazon does have an app, Qpython lite, but requires a live wifi connection to the internet to run. I'm looking for a simple python app, stand alone that i can run on my kindle, without an internet connection, just to practice while i learn. (Just a simple terminal, and text editor, and python? like ubuntu offers.)

I've tried downloading portable python, and couldnt' get it to run ('can't run in DOS mode?'), I've tried downloading ubuntu to my kindle and couldn't, and tried downloading the whole 2.7 python app, but couldn't get it to run.

I tried to root my kindle, but as I'm inexperienced in tech, i'm not sure if I was successful, and not sure how this helps (if I was successful.)

I have both windows 7 and ubuntu (dual boot) on my laptop, and can connect my kindle to the laptop via usb cable. I have "accept downloads from other applications" enabled on my kindle. On my kindle I have 'better terminal emulator pro' , ES file explorer, and droidedit.

Any help is appreciated, I'm willing to follow step by step instructions to get python running on my kindle. I will supply any other details required.

My kindle fire specs are : Model D01400
I do not know about qpython lite, but qpython+ does not require an internet connection unless your script needs one. Afaict the only difference is the qrcode feature in the latter.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
ah_ha

Yes! QPython+ works without internet connection!

I was thrown by the location of the output - when you have a live internet connection it seems to output differently.

With no connection, the output is presented in the notification page, not presented on the normal front page.

Thanks to everyone for your support!