Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
Calibre portable freezes after click OK from Edit Metadata dialog

Hi-

I am running calibre portable (0.8.47) from a USB flash drive and I have an issue where when I select a book and edit metadata for one book the edit metadata dialog box comes up, and I am able to modify fields, download a cover, etc., but after I click the OK button to set the metadata and close the dialog box the edit metadata box (as well as the main calibre program behind it) all freeze and hang. The edit metadata window stays open and even after minutes go by Calibre is unresponsive. It isn't hogging CPU - it just completely freezes. I then need to kill the Calibre process and restart calibre. After that, the metadata that I had previous modified prior to calibre freezing looks to have been applied ok so it appears that the db is being updated properly when all this happens.

I have tried multiple reboots on the PC that this happens on and it consistenly freezes when I do an edit metadata for a single book.

The funny thing is is that the Win XP PC that this behavior is seen on did just a week or so ago not have this problem with running calibre portable from my USB stick. Also - this behavior does not happen on a netbook running Win7 starter.

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? Any ideas on what to do to troubleshoot this problem. (and to answer the usual questions - No, I don't have a Wacom mouse, and no, I don't have a 'not-currently-hooked-up' monitor situation where the dialog box is popping up onto and making it seem like calibre is hung up!)
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
jer989
Enthusiast
jer989 doesn't litterjer989 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HD
update- this also seems to happen for other dialog boxes that come up - notably the 'ok to add duplicates?' dialog that comes up after adding books to calibre (obviously only when I'm adding duplicate books!)

Is there something on my XP machine that I should look into/update, etc...?

Thanks.
jer989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
General advice:

1) Try turning off your antivirus
2) Make sure that the USB stick is connecting in USB 2 as opposed to USB 1 mode
3) Try a differnt USB port on the problem computer
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote