Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Source for ebook - Rebecca by du Maurier

Does anyone know where to find an ebook -- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier -- that would be suitable for my Sony eReader?

Thanks!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Does anyone know where to find an ebook -- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier -- that would be suitable for my Sony eReader?

Thanks!
I don't think it's legally available as an e-book.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Yeah I never found one. I picked up a paper copy.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post

Thanks!
I have searched for it high and low, as I wanted to re-read it (I had it in one of those cheaply bound versions in which pages tend to detach as you turn them), but could not find it anywhere. Will keep an eye on this thread in case you have more luck!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
There's an audio version available. Should be easy to find, for example, from Audible.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Such a great book and worth looking for.

So frustrating when you can't find an ebook that you're looking for--especially the older (what might be considered) classics. I've got a couple of those, too:

Before the Fact by Francis Iles
Frenchman's Creek by Daphne duMaurier (I wonder why she's so hard to find?)
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
It is inappropriately available in a collection on the darknet. Don't know what shape it is in.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
Such a great book and worth looking for.

So frustrating when you can't find an ebook that you're looking for--especially the older (what might be considered) classics. I've got a couple of those, too:

Before the Fact by Francis Iles
Frenchman's Creek by Daphne duMaurier (I wonder why she's so hard to find?)
DuMaurier died in 1989 and her books are still under copyright, though "Rebecca" is considered a classic.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
DuMaurier died in 1989 and her books are still under copyright, though "Rebecca" is considered a classic.
But why in the world aren't they available for purchase in digital form? That's the puzzling thing. I don't understand why so many classic backlist books just aren't being sold.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
But why in the world aren't they available for purchase in digital form? That's the puzzling thing. I don't understand why so many classic backlist books just aren't being sold.
If I asked you to digitize every document in your household, it probably would take you a long time. Then you'd have to edit, etc. Publishers have legal rights to pursue as well, with authors or other rights holders.

As a reader, I'm impatient as well, of course.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This book is one of my favorites, and I also went searching for an e-version. Unfortunately it does not seem to be available. Maybe some day... Hopefully sooner than when they get geographic restrictions sorted out so I can read more books by British authors or when J K Rowling finally agrees to e-books for Harry Potter. The selection of books is far greater now than it was 4 years ago when I got my first Sony. It will only continue to grow, hopefully exponentially. It is hard to stay patient though. At least my to be read list is increasing to keep me occupied in the meantime.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
But why in the world aren't they available for purchase in digital form? That's the puzzling thing.
Could it be because:

(a) The publisher believes there isn't a big enough market; or

(b) They are doing very well selling the paper version; or

(c) They haven't got round to it; or

(d) Some other reason which I haven't thought of.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I get it, really! My question was basically rhetorical.

I just think that the publishers are missing a huge opportunity. I think there are probably a lot of people like me who would eagerly spend money on favorite books that aren't yet old enough to be public domain--like the ones by du Maurier. It ought to be a no-brainer that if a book is still in print after 30, 40, 50, or more years, it should also be available digitally.

I was browing the e-book offerings at my library yesterday, and even though I understand the reasons for it, it just seems WRONG that there's no digital version of Rebecca but there are dozens of Harlequin romance e-books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Kathy_818
Kathy_818 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My all-time favorite book . . .

I'm a new Kindle owner (Christmas), and Rebecca is one of the first books I searched for as an ebook, to no avail.
Kathy_818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I am guessing it has something to do with getting the rights from her estate. I feel pretty sure the publisher would LOVE to do an ebook of this classic.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote