Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #316
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
THX, I did it "manually" already this morning, but I know what will happen, as soon as I publish the actual status on Mexx site.
So again THX, I will have to dive in these things, I do not like very much bothering others with stuff I should be able to sove myself.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #317
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You read the README in the locale snapshot package, didn't you?
Sure. Right after you pointed it to me
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #318
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Cool Announcing version 1.0

So....

I did some final polishing of the "off" buttons (they look a bit better now IMO), and also made media player use it.

This means that from my perspective, we're essentially done for now (at least concerning all required tools), so I declare the toolchain as Version 1.0. Thanks a lot to everyone who was involved in making this possible!

I'll update the first post accordingly.

Update: @diba: I saw you already created a distribution bundle on mexxbooks. Please update it with the 20120213.bin, there have been a few last-minute changes to 2 translations and the bookmarks (+ the media player "off" button).

Last edited by ixtab; 02-12-2012 at 08:45 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #319
shadowbr
shadowbr began at the beginning.

Missing translations and broken wikipedia search

Hi,

I´ve noticed two things (tried the pt_BR and de translations):

1. The header of "My Clippings" page is missing translation and the string "added on" when a clipping/highlight is inserted.
2. The Search on wikipedia is not working with the "translated" links; I think that the html sanitizer process is replacing the "&" and "?" of the search string.
Thanks!
shadowbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #320
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbr View Post
Hi,

I´ve noticed two things (tried the pt_BR and de translations):

1. The header of "My Clippings" page is missing translation and the string "added on" when a clipping/highlight is inserted.
2. The Search on wikipedia is not working with the "translated" links; I think that the html sanitizer process is replacing the "&" and "?" of the search string.
Thanks!
Hey, thanks for the report!

concerning the wikipedia thing, you're right. I have manually replaced the source resource by one that does not contain escaped characters, so just adapt your translation to that pattern.
(Update: 20120213 snapshot already contains fixed german version)

for "My Clippings", this is weird, but probably cannot be fixed:
Code:
$ grep -r "My Clippings" java/classes/
Binary file java/classes/com/amazon/ebook/booklet/periodicals/ui/resources/ReadingPaneHeaderResources.class matches
Binary file java/classes/com/amazon/kindle/apps/util/MetadataUtils.class matches
Binary file java/classes/com/amazon/kindle/apps/util/resources/UtilResources.class matches
the occurences in the first and third classes are properly considered for translation; the second contains the literal string, but doesn't allow to modify it.

Update: This also holds for the "Added on" string, it cannot be localized either:
Code:
$ grep -r "Added on" java/classes
Binary file java/classes/com/amazon/ebook/booklet/reader/plugin/clippings/Clipping.class matches
Maybe these will be fixed in subsequent firmware releases.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-12-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #321
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Localisation Package

@ixtab: OK, will update. My intention was to make a "comfort package" there available to avoid questions forth and back as well as for people, not familiar with english at all.
I feel myself responsible for keeping it up to date!

diba
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #322
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

When we install a new version of the locales file is not necessary to uninstall the previous one. But, is it necessary to restar the device after the installation? It's to say, if I install a new version of locales for my language and it overwrites the previous version, when the installation finish I have directly the new changes without restart? Or I should to restart the device too after the installation?
victor_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #323
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Currently locales are shipped within install.bin package that restarts your device upon completion automatically.

Of course there's a way to install stuff manually if you know what you're doing, but in this case you should know how to apply changes manually as well
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #324
ixtab
(offline)

To comment on JustAMan's post: if you know how to extract binary packages, and if you are sure that only the "framework/pillow/waf" parts (but not the "locale" part) of the localization have changed, then it is sufficient to only restart the framework.

For all practical purposes, it is probably best to simply install the binary update package, including a reboot of the device. Overall, this is almost certainly going to be faster than unpacking the .bin file and finding out which files need to be put where, and what commands are required to reinitialize the device to the desired state.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #325
jantil
jantil began at the beginning.

Ixtab, thanks for your great work in localization for KT. I just did it, English to Spanish and, boy, it was a smooth process. Great! Now, another question: how do I define a new default dictionary for Spanish? It keeps on showing only the standard New Oxford for English... I do have the Spanish Larousse in my Kindle, just I can´t select it as default for Spanish... Hope you can point me in the right direction. Javier
jantil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #326
ixtab
(offline)

Javier: are you sure that going through the "normal" steps of "International->Dictionaries" doesn't work for you?

I have had similar problems with dictionaries before, but I thought that that was because I heavily modded my Kindle. After a factory reset (including localization), dictionaries now work for me as well. So if you can afford it, could you check if your Kindle works with your dictionaries after performing a factory reset?

(As a "bonus", if you factory-reset while having locale packages installed, you'll get a boot-screen locale selection which you probably didn't see before )
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #327
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Is it possible to enable a spanish keyboard with the character ñ and accents á é í ó ú? The Locale Settings Enabler script enables to select a spanish keyboard, but then the keyboard doesn't shows the character ñ neither accents. Is there any way to have a complete spanish keyboard? Or I'm doing something wrong?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #328
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@victor_2203, it's possible to add new keyboard layout (or change existing). Though, currently there is no step-by-step tutorial about doing it. Basic information could be found at this thread.

UPD: forget this. Just switch to spanish keyboard and press and hold for some seconds buttons with characters without accents (i.e. n, a etc.). New upper row with accented characters will appear then.

Last edited by eureka; 02-28-2012 at 07:26 AM. Reason: fix typo
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #329
victor_2203
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
@victor_2203, it's possible to add new keyboard layout (or change existing). Though, currently there is no step-by-step tutorial about doing it. Basic information could be found at this thread.

UPD: forget this. Just switch to spanish keyboard and press and hold for some seconds buttons with characters without accents (i.e. n, a etc.). New upper row with accented characters will appear then.
Woww perfect!! Thanks!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #330
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

5.0.4 is out. It contains whole changed files (not just binary patches as 5.0.3), so it's easier to check for introduced differencies. No changes to Pillow or WAF or gettext localizable resources, AFAICS. Didn't checked Framework resources, though.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote