Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
tomscholl
tomscholl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Readability patch for recipes

I made a patch for calibre which adds the readability algorithm for extracting the main article content from an HTML page.
It's useful for things like a Hacker News recipe (included).

The python readability port is from https://github.com/buriy/python-readability, which I dumped into src/readability.

You can grab the branch at lp:~thomas-scholl/calibre/readability, and give the hackernews.recipe a try.

What would I need to change to get it into Calibre?
tomscholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
tomscholl

Quick addition: The lib depends on lxml, and chardet (which I changed to calibre.ebooks.chardet)
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Looks generally ok. Can you open a bug report for it and I will look at it in more detail and comment when I have the time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
tomscholl

Sure, thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
denkr
denkr began at the beginning.

I propose for this to be used in the 'Read It Later' recipe since it also is a list to different sites. :-)

PS/Edit: Did you already check how lxml reacts to malformed html?
denkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
tomscholl

I hadn't properly tested it against bad html - just ran it against lots of random websites.

Kovid made several improvements for 0.8.16 though, and also added the auto_cleanup flag which is probably all you'd need to set for 'Read It Later'.