Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
harryzee
harryzee doesn't litterharryzee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX with 3.2.1/Nook HD+ with internal 4.2.2
CM7 SD Card Questions

I am successfully using a Class 2 8 Gig micro sd card with the CM7 7.0.0 build for my NC. I have left the internal memory with the NC 1.1 boot so I have the best of both worlds!

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a dual boot file/method specifically designed for CM7.0.0 (there is for 2.2)? I currently have to remove my micro sd if I want to boot to NC 1.1 for any reason (like reading in the store).

2. I have ordered a Class 6 8 Gig micro sd card and want to copy over the setup from my currect card. Can that be done or will I have to redo the entire process for the new card? I want to retain my current apps and not have to reload them.

BTW, even with the Class 2 card, CM7 appears ro be running just fine and with no "visual" lags.

I did set the min and max CPU speeds to 600/925.

Thank you.
harryzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
I"m not sure about the answer to the dualboot w/ a CM7 image on the SD Card, but I would guess that there is one. (I am currently dualbooting cm7 and stock, but they are both installed on the internal memory - if you want more info on that setup, let me know).

Regarding moving from one installation to another, I think the easiest way to do what you are asking would be to use the Titanium Backup app. There is another method of backing up in Clockwork Recorvery, but it is a little more involved, and I think would require you to keep the same size SD card (which I just noticed you are going to do). This is known as a "nandroid backup".
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzee View Post
I am successfully using a Class 2 8 Gig micro sd card with the CM7 7.0.0 build for my NC. I have left the internal memory with the NC 1.1 boot so I have the best of both worlds!

Here are my questions:

1. Is there a dual boot file/method specifically designed for CM7.0.0 (there is for 2.2)? I currently have to remove my micro sd if I want to boot to NC 1.1 for any reason (like reading in the store).

2. I have ordered a Class 6 8 Gig micro sd card and want to copy over the setup from my currect card. Can that be done or will I have to redo the entire process for the new card? I want to retain my current apps and not have to reload them.

BTW, even with the Class 2 card, CM7 appears ro be running just fine and with no "visual" lags.

I did set the min and max CPU speeds to 600/925.

Thank you.
There is a dual boot that works very well - Generic Nook-2GB-SDCard-CW3010-VGCM7InstallerAsALTinMultiBoot-v6.zip at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1022786

I am using it with CM7 Stable on a 16 Gb microSD card - nice and fast (particularly for movies) and my Nook is a 1.1 stock. Very easy to dual boot.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
mikevraziel
mikevraziel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
@jasoraso

Could you please explain how to dual boot CM7.0.0 stable and stock B&N, both on eMMC. Right now I run OCed CM7.0.0 stable on a 8GB sd card. And I have non rooted B&N stock OS. Do I need to root the stock OS and install CWM first.

Thanks.
mikevraziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
harryzee
harryzee doesn't litterharryzee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX with 3.2.1/Nook HD+ with internal 4.2.2
You have the same setup I have.

I do not have both on eMMC.
harryzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevraziel View Post
@jasoraso

Could you please explain how to dual boot CM7.0.0 stable and stock B&N, both on eMMC. Right now I run OCed CM7.0.0 stable on a 8GB sd card. And I have non rooted B&N stock OS. Do I need to root the stock OS and install CWM first.

Thanks.
To boot off of the SD card you do not need to modify your base nook.

However if you want to setup a dual boot you must root your nook so that you can install the CMW recovery app.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 04-20-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I stand corrected
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
To boot off of the SD card you do not need to modify your base nook.

However if you want to setup a dual boot you must root your nook so that you can install the CMW recovery app.

=X=
You do not have to root if you set up CWM on the SD Card. By following the method outlined in the XDA post above you can boot CM7 from the SD Card and/or Stock Nook 1.1 from the emmc. This way, you can get BN updates, etc while running a very good Gingerbread off the SD.

You cannot dual-boot CM7.0.0 stable and stock B&N from emmc.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
robert23
robert23 began at the beginning.

This dual-boot method only requires replacing one file on the SD card and works quite well: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=962708.
robert23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
You do not have to root if you set up CWM on the SD Card. By following the method outlined in the XDA post above you can boot CM7 from the SD Card and/or Stock Nook 1.1 from the emmc. This way, you can get BN updates, etc while running a very good Gingerbread off the SD.

You cannot dual-boot CM7.0.0 stable and stock B&N from emmc.
Good to know. thanks
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
WzeroMN
WzeroMN began at the beginning.

Question Trying to Install CM7 to SD but failing

I did all of this below as instructed on XDA Developers forum. After writing all the files I rebooted and it comes up into a command line but the instructions say to set up Wifi. I thought it would go to an Android GUI screen. Not So.

What is the correct way to BOOT the card after writing it. I simple;y Held the Power button down and it booted into this Linux like screen in what looks like a DOS type command line screen.

I assume that I missed something here but do not know what. If I cannot get to a GUI I guess it is not very useful.

TIA.

Grab the installer image here:
http://nook.handhelds.ru/sdimage/gen...rd-v1.1.img.gz
it's a ~9M image that would unpack into ~130M disk image.

Write the image on your SD card. I tested with 2G and 8G cards and both worked.
Any uSD card of 1G or bigger in size should work if it is recognized by your nook.

After done with writing, eject and then insert the uSD card into your computer.

Now download a CM nightly build from here http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=encore
Or get my last build from here: http://nook.handhelds.ru/cm7/
Or just use your own update-cm-*-KANG-signed.zip file that is produced if you do your own builds.
The image would correctly detect unmodified CM7 builds and would make necessary adjustments to make them work on SD card.

Put the file to the SD card (there is only one partition). Don't change the name of the file.

unmount the uSD card and insert it into the nook.
Boot from this SD card. It'll boot and will update you on progress.
When it's done, it'll blank the screen, but won't reboot (I am still looking into it).
Press the power button for 8 seconds or so to turn off, then turn on.

That's it, you now have CM7 on your SD card.

How to install market and gapps:
After you have booted into the CM7 on SD card for the first time and set up wifi access (important!)
WzeroMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
WzeroMN

It says do not change the name but should I have unpacked it or leave it in the zip form before writing to the card. I did not unpack. Unpacking would change the name so I am a bit confused here.

This is the file.
update-cm-7.0.0-RC2-encore-KANG-signed-20110320.zip
Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
WzeroMN

I do get the CM7 screen so solved some problems. I do not have any applications though so cannot do anything. I did add the apps update file to SD card and booted with N and Power button method (Is N the Right Hand button across from Power?)
It went to a command line that looks like
ANDROID
in lower left corner of landscape mode.
What am I missing here?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert23 View Post
This dual-boot method only requires replacing one file on the SD card and works quite well: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=962708.
Thank you for mentioning this ! I tried this on my NC with stock eMMC and CM7 on SD, and it works great ! Was truly as simple as replacing just one file on the SD card. My NC is in completely original condition and unrooted.

Thanks much again ! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
WzeroMN

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WzeroMN View Post
I do get the CM7 screen so solved some problems. I do not have any applications though so cannot do anything. I did add the apps update file to SD card and booted with N and Power button method (Is N the Right Hand button across from Power?)
It went to a command line that looks like
ANDROID
in lower left corner of landscape mode.
What am I missing here?
I got it done. The secret seemed to be to include everything on the card the first time including the apps. Maybe it was just a retry.

In any case it is totally useless in my opinion. Downloads are incredibly slow. Respone is not good on screens. Maybe internal memory would be better but I am not going to take that route.

If I want a good tablet I will just wait until I can afford to buy an iPad2. For now I will just read Kindle on my HTC EVO. Response is at leastr 50 times faster than the Nook.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I got it done. The secret seemed to be to include everything on the card the first time including the apps. Maybe it was just a retry.
That is not necessary. The Google apps can be added at any time. Since Wi-Fi should be properly configured before the Google apps are installed they really should not be installed during CM7 initial install.
Quote:
In any case it is totally useless in my opinion. Downloads are incredibly slow. Respone is not good on screens.
That is extremely strange, since CM7 is very fast and the newer versions have graphics acceleration enabled. The stable release, update-cm-7.0.0-encore-signed.zip, is a real pleasure to use. Did you install CM7 on an SD card of a decent speed class, or just a cheap department store SD card? Even with class 4 cards, I have not seen CM7 to be anywhere near as slow as you describe.
Quote:
Maybe internal memory would be better but I am not going to take that route.
It is not necessary to install on internal memory to get good performance, it is just more convenient IMHO.

Quote:
. For now I will just read Kindle on my HTC EVO. Response is at leastr 50 times faster than the Nook.
CM7 on the Nook seems to run at roughly the same speed as Froyo on my HTC Desire, but the Market downloads are definitely faster with CM7 on the Nook.
A 50 to 1 difference in performance obviously indicates something seriously wrong with your CM7 install, since the difference in hardware performance is likely to be very much less than 2 to 1.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote