Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
Calibre freezes when trying to edit metadata

I have 3 libraries and it happens on all three.
I have recently installed Python and ran some scripts related to Calibre,

found at:
http://blog.mekk.waw.pl/archives/41-...tallation.html

I also recently installed Java Virtual Machine

they python is not the newest version.

Would either of these be an issue.

Database checks show no problems.
Runs fine till I hit "E" or try and edit a book?

thanks for any ideas.
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
iridius
Connoisseur

ONly happens with individual metadata editing... not with bulk editing.
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
iridius
Connoisseur

I don't think its the Python or script, because I did some editing after that was installed witout a problem
I then copied and deleted (with a Calibre auto-close "aka crash" during it) all the files from one library to another.

that's when I first noticed it.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
iridius
Connoisseur

I tried upgrading to the newest version of Calibre.
Rebooted computer.
Still nothing.

I ran
calibre-debug -g

and all it says in the command prompt is:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>calibre-debug -g
Starting up...
Started up in 24.631000042

then calibre starts up.
I try to edit a single books metadata... and I see a flash that may be the dialog box, but it goes away, and Calibre freezes. I don't see any debug data anywhere though in Calibre or the command prompt window.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Try starting it like this.

calibre-debug -g 1> log.txt 2>&1

This will write the output to a log file you can look at after it crashes.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
iridius
Connoisseur

the log.txt file shows

Starting up...
Started up in 24.2939999104

when I try to edit an individual file Calibre freezes so I end the process via Windows 7 64-bit Task Manager.

Is there another way that will give me more info?

thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If Calibre crashed on you during a library copy, your libaries' database consistency might have become corrupted. Try running a database check on your libraries (right-click the down arrow on the library icon and select database maintenance->check library).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The two most common causes of calibre crashes are:

1) Using a wacom mouse
2) Having invalid files in your C;|windows\fonts directory

while your symptoms dont seem to match either, it's worth checking.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
when I try to edit an individual file Calibre freezes so I end the process via Windows 7 64-bit Task Manager.

Is there another way that will give me more info?
So it's not crashing you are killing it.

I'm curious.

1. Is there a job running in the job details area (lower right)?
2. Do you have your device connected?

If no to the above two questions you might want to restore from backup and see if you have the same problem.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-26-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
iridius
Connoisseur

I checked the database = no problems
No Wacomm mouse
no job running in calibre
Device (a kindle) is NOT connected

Calibre doesn't technically crash (Close down) it just freezes and only when trying to edit an individual file.

I will check out the font folder now... how do I do this? How do I know if somethings wrong?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
Calibre doesn't technically crash (Close down) it just freezes and only when trying to edit an individual file.
How long do you wait before killing the task? Is the program totally unresponsive before you do?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
iridius
Connoisseur

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA

I am sooooooooo funny and stupid I amaze myself.

Although I don't know if anyone else will ever have this problem... the idea struck me on my way back from work this morning as I was stuck one of the ever-present accidents on the highway.

Before the problem started I watched a movie (Prince of Persia) with my wife on my projector, which is my 4th monitor.

Even though my projector has been off since, Windows still thinks it's there for multiple monitor purpose (using UltraMon) (I guess I should disable it not just shut it off... but that's besides the point.

Anyway the edit metadata dialog window was opening on that projector instead of on one of my 3 regular 22" monitors, so I didn't see it, but since you can't work on Calibre when that dialog box is open, it just seems frozen.

I am very dissappointed guys... I mean you really should've know this was the problem... I mean I'm sure I'm not the first guy trying to edit book metadata on a 120-inch projection on his wall? :-)

Thanks a million I was scared my database was messed up or that I made too big of a library.... thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Manichean
Wizard

Well, at least it's working. That wouldn't have come to my mind.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Of course describing your problem as the Window wasn't opening would have got you that answer relatively quickly. Because I've been there before.

Glad you figured it out.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Been there. 3rd monitor was switched to a different system and windows expected me to still be able to see a 'confirmation' request.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote