Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
Question Android tablet

I am looking for a device that will also double as an ebook reader, but since I have other uses also, I've decided that an android based tablet is what I am going to go with.

I had pretty much decided on the Enso Zenpad, but in like of today's repost on Engadget that makes me suspect they are not legitimately selling it, I'm now looking for another options.

Prefer a 5" or larger screen. Price is very much a factor for me also, I have a very limited budget for this, and the Enso's $180 price tag seemed perfect. Hoping to try to keep this under $250, but that's not a hard limit really.

I am not looking for a smartphone device though.

Anyone have any suggestions, hopefully for something that is actually shipping now, or very soon?
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
valcho
Enthusiast
valcho is on a distinguished road

Device: JetBook Lite
Spring Design Alex but it's kind of overpriced - $400
valcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, a bit out of my price range =)
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i have a 7" android tablet on the way for review that might be what your looking for. Its supposed to ship monday or so and I should have it by end of next week. retail I expect will be $200.

don't want to say more before i have one in hand.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i have a 7" android tablet on the way for review that might be what your looking for. Its supposed to ship monday or so and I should have it by end of next week. retail I expect will be $200.

OMG it may be the Haleron iLet mini ...the previous vaporware device! Tell me it ain't so!

Last edited by Katelyn; 04-09-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
......we'll see......
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
......we'll see......
Oh, I can't wait. Someone else willing to be a guinea pig, lab, rat, whatever...

I don't mind taking chances. My motto is SHUT UP AND JUMP!
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I have a Camangi Webstation. The new update helped a great deal...here are a few caveats:

-You need to be comfortable with Android.
-It's really best as an ebook reader that offers some moderate web capabilities.
-The form factor is nice but the battery life leaves something to be desired.

On the upside you can hook a physical keyboard up to it via USB...
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I'm rolling my thumbs and waiting for the Adam-tablet and hoping for a June/July release.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
jalandar
Connoisseur

@questionfear
Looking at the Camangi WebStation, does it support the regular google android marketplace, or just their own? And I don't see any word on when they will be taking orders again.

@thinkpadx
The notion ink Adam does look very sweet, just the range they are giving for a price leads me to believe its going to end up coming in closer to the $400 range, which would put it outside my budget for this. And with the latest comments from them, it looks like they are not going to make a summer release, maybe fall/winter?

I've looked at that Haleron iLet mini already, but the they seem plagued by the same suggestions of vaporware/fraud that are plaguing the Zenpad.

I noticed Engadget updated their story on the Zenpad vaporware earlier today to indicate the company now claims to have the funding to fulfill orders....but I'm not convinced. And even if they send a model to Engadget it won't alleviate my concerns. Only mass comments from prepaid customers getting theirs will convince me they are legitimately filling orders.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
While the recent news on the zenPad is disappointing, I still think that the design and specifications vs price is very attractive. Here's hoping that Enso gets things sorted out and actually ships product.

One other Android tablet that I have been reading about and anxiously await is the Dell Streak (or Mini 5). It also has a 5" screen, but has much better specs than the zenPad. It is slightly wider in the landscape dimension, however.

Although the Dell Streak has phone features, I'm not sure where Dell is positioning this thing. Is it a tablet or is it a large phone?

There is no word yet on pricing or battery life. Depending on those two numbers, I might be very interested in one.

Here is a posting about a partnership with Amazon:
http://phandroid.com/2010/03/10/colo...n-partnership/

Here are some nice pics of the tablet in action:
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl..._streak_tablet

This posting has lots more pics, including one that shows a removeable battery (yea!)
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/d...shenzhen-blac/
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:52 AM   #12
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:

Sounds like the ARCHOS 7 Home Tablet in size and price. ARCHOS already sells a 5" Android tablet but it's a bit pricey. The upcoming 7" one at $199 is supposed to be a breakthrough. We shall see.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:03 AM   #13
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalandar View Post
The notion ink Adam does look very sweet, just the range they are giving for a price leads me to believe its going to end up coming in closer to the $400 range, which would put it outside my budget for this. And with the latest comments from them, it looks like they are not going to make a summer release, maybe fall/winter?
It certainly runs the risk of getting a high price when finally out on the market. I've heard rumours that the model with the Pixel QI screen could go as far up as as $800.

Quote:
Prices for the Adam will start at just $327 (USD), and go up to $800 bucks for a completely maxed out version.
http://technabob.com/blog/2010/02/15...-release-date/
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
jalandar
Connoisseur

@jgray

Well the Zenpad is just a rebranded Smit MID-560. I know a french company also has a product out of the same device with slightly different specs (and only available in Europe).

So it's quite possible even if Enso turns out badly, that someone else will bring a Smit MID-560 device to market in the US. The price points are fairly attractive from what research I've done.

@Dellaster
The Archos 7 looks attractive in price and most other ways. It will really depend on if it supports the android marketplace or not. I know the 5 didn't.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
jalandar
Connoisseur

Kinda discouraged. The Camangi Webstation, even if it were available for order, doesn't support the Android Marketplace.

Archos has not supported the Android Marketplace on any of their devices so far, so the new 7 tablet is not likely to.

The Haleron iLet Mini is running what sounds like a bastardized version of Android called OceanOS, and thus is unlikely to support the Marketplace.

Maybe this is just not the right time to be looking to acquire an android tablet.

Tags
android, tablet