Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #2611
Karthiksugumar
Karthiksugumar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Possible to change the “FOOTNOTE” word to “ANSWER” in popup.

• Kindle paper white old device version 4.1.2: While clicking the question link, it will go to directly respective answers.
• Kindle paper white touch device version 5.6.1.0.6: While clicking the question link, first it will get a popup the respective answers. The “FOOTNOTE” words has shown as device default settings.

Please advise, If possible to change the “FOOTNOTE” word to “ANSWER” in popup in the device. Kindly review and share your observations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Footnote_Pop-up.png
Views:	232
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	157311  
Karthiksugumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:27 PM   #2612
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthiksugumar View Post
Kindle paper white old device version 4.1.2: While clicking the question link, it will go to directly respective answers.
Kindle paper white touch device version 5.6.1.0.6: While clicking the question link, first it will get a popup the respective answers. The “FOOTNOTE” words has shown as device default settings.

Please advise, If possible to change the “FOOTNOTE” word to “ANSWER” in popup in the device. Kindly review and share your observations.
*) No "Paperwhite" Kindle ever ran a series 4.x firmware.
*) If writing about the original PW-1, then you should consider updating to 5.6.1.1
Nobody will be interested in modifying out-of-date firmware.

Please do not hijack threads, start your own for your own topic.

Post (only) the first six (6) characters of the serial number of each device.
Someone will look up the proper nickname for the devices.

That is always the first step: Know what you have.
And have only one topic per thread title.

Last edited by knc1; 06-14-2017 at 12:30 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #2613
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
i noticed a problem ... i enabled the auto start on boot wifi mode, etc etc
i boot the kindle and the ssh works (with wifi)
plug usb and ssh stop work till next boot (i noticed after i plug out the usb the wifi is offline and reconnect to the wifi after a few sec, but ssh don't go up with the wifi)
why?
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #2614
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
i noticed a problem ... i enabled the auto start on boot wifi mode, etc etc
i boot the kindle and the ssh works (with wifi)
plug usb and ssh stop work till next boot (i noticed after i plug out the usb the wifi is offline and reconnect to the wifi after a few sec, but ssh don't go up with the wifi)
why?
It is most likely the: "etc etc" that you failed to describe.

Revert all of the configuration to that which came with the package.
Then get everything working properly over the USB cable before trying any of the tricky stuff.

And if you have RP-CRP installed, remove it (at least the CRP extension) while testing.
Dig into the reading about CRP and you will find that the author warned that it wasn't well tested with the devices that have working OTG-USB ports. (That includes the model of Kindle you have.)
(He couldn't - I have his Kindle here, about 8 time-zones away from where he lives. And he is busy with school-work anyway.)

You must always have the cable disconnected when enabling and disabling the networking.
If you don't then you should be getting an on-screen warning.

Last edited by knc1; 07-22-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:46 PM   #2615
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is most likely the: "etc etc" that you failed to describe.

Revert all of the configuration to that which came with the package.
Then get everything working properly over the USB cable before trying any of the tricky stuff.

And if you have RP-CRP installed, remove it (at least the CRP extension) while testing.
Dig into the reading about CRP and you will find that the author warned that it wasn't well tested with the devices that have working OTG-USB ports. (That includes the model of Kindle you have.)
(He couldn't - I have his Kindle here, about 8 time-zones away from where he lives. And he is busy with school-work anyway.)

You must always have the cable disconnected when enabling and disabling the networking.
If you don't then you should be getting an on-screen warning.
I think he forgot to update from factory to consumer according to his other post in the other thread.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #2616
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I think he forgot to update from factory to consumer according to his other post in the other thread.
I just now noticed that and warned him against using the production testing firmware build.

It is becoming pretty clear he never read past step 6 if he was using our directions.
Instead, I think he was skimming and making things up as he went along.

The first post and this thread is over a year old. I would really like to just delete it and get on with my life.

Last edited by knc1; 07-22-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #2617
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just now noticed that and warned him against using the production testing firmware build.

It is becoming pretty clear he never read past step 6 if he was using our directions.
Instead, I think he was skimming and making things up as he went along.

The first post and this thread is over a year old. I would really like to just delete it and get on with my life.
Wrong thread hun. This one celebrates its 5th birthday in 9 days.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #2618
bar1004
bar1004 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
Hi, I have a question that I think is related to this jailbreak:

After downgrading and jaibreaking my PW1 I have noticed that cycling screen (double taping the power button) forces a reboot with information gathering. Is this a function of this jailbreak or normal kindle function that I didn't noticed before jailbreaking? Can it be deactivated (it's a bit frustrating accidentally cycling screen too fast and having to wait for a full reboot)?
bar1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #2619
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

What do you mean by double tapping the power button?
Also, what do you mean by information gathering?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #2620
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1004 View Post
Hi, I have a question that I think is related to this jailbreak:

After downgrading and jaibreaking my PW1 I have noticed that cycling screen (double taping the power button) forces a reboot with information gathering. Is this a function of this jailbreak or normal kindle function that I didn't noticed before jailbreaking? Can it be deactivated (it's a bit frustrating accidentally cycling screen too fast and having to wait for a full reboot)?
It is not the function of the jailbreak.

The jail break has nothing to do with the operation of the Kindle or any of the applications!
It only allows for the installation of our add-in packages.
Note: installation not operation. Different words with different meanings.

Go to first post of this thread, where you got the jb file and read (again) the first section marked in green: "What does it do?"
That is the complete description, there is nothing else that it does.

= = = =

You didn't notice it before.
Quote:
Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
So stop doing that.
If you don't like it, stop using it.
There is no other reason to 'double tap' the power button (unless you are running something of twobob's that requires that as an exit command).

- - - -

Given the above, if you have any more questions, please post what firmware version you are running and all of the things you have installed since you jailbroke it.

Last edited by knc1; 08-08-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #2621
bar1004

Quote:
What do you mean by double tapping the power button?
Also, what do you mean by information gathering?
By double taping power button I mean double clicking, i.e. clicking power button and doing it again within ~1-2 seconds.
By information gathering I mean screen on the left below (sometimes it bugs out and displays text above 'screensaver' image, but most of the time the text is on blank screen), that looks like some sort of debugging reboot with logging capability. After that disappears Kindle performs normal power on cycle (on the right).
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170809_120205.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	158322Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170809_120714.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	158323

Quote:
Go to first post of this thread, where you got the jb file and read (again) the first section marked in green: "What does it do?"
That is the complete description, there is nothing else that it does.
I just though that this may be some sort of debugging reset that is added with jailbreak.

Quote:
There is no other reason to 'double tap' the power button (unless you are running something of twobob's that requires that as an exit command).
I use it only because sometimes my backlight bugs out with the magnetic cover and doesn't turn on even though the Kindle is awake and displays normally (also sometimes screen turns off, but not backlight, but this is much less common). Typically cycling the screen fixes that, but if I click the button too fast it reboots, like I described before.

Quote:
Given the above, if you have any more questions, please post what firmware version you are running and all of the things you have installed since you jailbroke it.
I'm running firmware 5.3.3 (downgraded thanks to holocen's post) on PW1 (B024) and jailbroken thanks to this topic, if I remember correctly I have only installed ixtab's Collections Manager (I don't remember installing anything else and that's only .azw2 file in documents folder).

Last edited by bar1004; 08-09-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #2622
knc1
Going Viral

You are running a very old version of this jail break.
Perhaps even the original, which is now five years old.

What you see is the 'Bridge code' running, testing if the JB needs to be re-installed.

Go to the first post, find the section with the heading:
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING JAILBREAK UPDATES:
Open spoiler.
Read.
Follow the directions, at least those in the summary at the bottom, inside of the spoiler.
Inside of the archive you download, you will find a document entitled: README.txt
Open, scroll down to section headed: *INSTALL Jailbreak*
Read.
Follow directions.

Among the changes, that message is gone, replaced by enhancements to the 'Bridge code'.
Once you have done that (re-installed the jailbreak with the current version), you should update your firmware version.
That **might** fix the problems which are causing you to re-boot the system.
**might**
But it sounds more like a hardware problem to me.

You will want to choose what newer firmware version you install if you are using CM.
Go the the end (most recent posting) of the CM thread and scroll backwards in time (posts) to see what the most recent firmware version CM supports.
There have been updates to CM since ixtab left, and you will find them attached to posts in his CM thread.

The only way to stop seeing the re-boot processing is to stop re-booting it.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #2623
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

A change of cover might help with the frontlight problem.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #2624
bar1004

Thanks for help knc1 and Cinisajoy, I updated my PW to 5.6.1.1, with official package from Amazon, and what you know; it doesn't restart when fast pressing power button, so it might have been software or software+hardware bug. For some reason I just didn't though about updating back after JB.
As to CM I ended up switching to LibrarianSync, too bad it doesn't support nested collections, but I don't want playing with reinstalling software anymore and it works now.

Quote:
A change of cover might help with the frontlight problem.
As long as just cycling through power states fixes it I don't really mind, especially since I fixed the reboots. It may also be hardware problem with my PW, like latching reed switch (don't know if Kindle uses reed switches or hall sensors).

Last edited by bar1004; 08-09-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Adding response to Cinisajoy
Old 08-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #2625
knc1
Going Viral

hall effect device in lower right corner of the case.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch