Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Exclamation To buy this ePub 1.99 deal - Which store/ source would be better?

Which of these gives an ePub with / without DRM? I read on an ePub reader app on iOS - Marvin.

https://lifespa.com/3-season-diet-ebook-flash-sale/

Suggestions?

Quoting options below.. You can see actual link to see why I want a full color / hyper linked usable ePub

Quote:
Amazon - Kindle - Mobi only?? - Color / format conversion losses?

Barnes and Nobles

books a million button

indigo-chapters-buy-button

Kobo
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Kobo and BAM will both give you an ePub so would probably be easiest. If you want to read it in Marvin you'll have to remove the DRM to do so. The Chapters-Indigo option will just take you to Kobo to buy.

B&N makes it harder to download an actual file separate from using their app as a reader.

Amazon should work fine, but then you'll have to both remove the DRM and convert (which should work fine).

You can also get the DRM'd ePub from Google Play https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=wnK7eIQ2IjUC

Of course you can use the store of your choices iOS reading app to read without any DRM removal or conversion necessary.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 07-27-2017 at 10:00 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the insights

Not sure if we're allowed to ask here (just let me know if not allowed on MR forums).. Which of the 2 (Kobo vs BAM) would be easier/ possible to remove DRM? (Haven't used them ever).

I have ePubee on my windows.. does it work for Kobo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Kobo and BAM will both give you an ePub so would probably be easiest. If you want to read it in Marvin you'll have to remove the DRM to do so. The Chapters-Indigo option will just take you to Kobo to buy.

B&N makes it harder to download an actual file separate from using their app as a reader.

Amazon should work fine, but then you'll have to both remove the DRM and convert (which should work fine).

You can also get the DRM'd ePub from Google Play https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=wnK7eIQ2IjUC

Of course you can use the store of your choices iOS reading app to read without any DRM removal or conversion necessary.
Thanks for the GP ref, but it doesnt have the 1.99 deal price.
Havent used any of these stores yet - New user signup..

Wonder if I can avail of a discount code for new signup or better yet use a % off from one of these (similar thread for BAM?)?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115233

Last edited by crashnburn; 07-28-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Either Kobo or BAM will allow you to download an ePub version with DRM. Then you can remove the DRM to be able to read it with Marvin.

You do get a discount when you sign up for a Kobo account, but you have to spend more than $1.99 to use the discount.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
Not sure if we're allowed to ask here (just let me know if not allowed on MR forums).. Which of the 2 (Kobo vs BAM) would be easier/ possible to remove DRM? (Haven't used them ever).

Basics are okay, detailed discussions on how to remove DRM aren't.

BAM & Kobo both use Adobe Adept DRM (the standard ePub & PDF DRM) so it shouldn't make a difference which is the source.

As for ePubee I have no idea. Apprentice Alf's tools will work fine for sure.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Amazon - Kindle - Mobi only?? - Color / format conversion losses?
Unless you're awfully sophisticated or have a very old Kindle, Amazon makes this just about impossible these days.

As I recall, there's a tweak to Kindle for PC that causes it to download the KF8 version rather than the more bullet-proof KFX.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Unless you're awfully sophisticated or have a very old Kindle, Amazon makes this just about impossible these days.

As I recall, there's a tweak to Kindle for PC that causes it to download the KF8 version rather than the more bullet-proof KFX.
Sorry, but that's wrong. All you have to do is use Kindle for PC (if on Windows) version 1.17.x. It still works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:30 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
I would suggest Calibre with the DeDRM plugin and the obok plugin for removing DRM from Kobo ebooks synced using the desktop application. Google Apprentice Alf for more information on the plugins.

Check the Calibre forum for information on Kindle and KFX.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:32 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but that's wrong. All you have to do is use Kindle for PC (if on Windows) version 1.17.x. It still works.
Or rename the renderer-test.exe to prevent it from being used. The alternate to running the older version of the Kindle app on either Mac or Windows.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:

BAM & Kobo both use Adobe Adept DRM (the standard ePub & PDF DRM) so it shouldn't make a difference which is the source.
B&N uses a variant of Adobe's standard DRM so you need the key for their version. For Kobo, a downloaded epub uses Adobe's standard DRM while a synced to the desktop application ebook uses Kobo's own DRM.

Quote:
I seem to remember some nasty comments about ePubee copying other people's work. Calibre and Apprentice Alf work for me.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 AM   #11
crashnburn
Groupie

Thanks for these insights. If there's any updates on such matters please do share.

I was down with some domestic & health issues so all these things had to take a back seat.

Is Marvin still the best in terms of eBook Highlighting & Reading?

PS: Is there any match or near equivalent in the Android/ Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet world?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I would suggest Calibre with the DeDRM plugin and the obok plugin for removing DRM from Kobo ebooks synced using the desktop application. Google Apprentice Alf for more information on the plugins.

Check the Calibre forum for information on Kindle and KFX.