Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The versions of the classics that we have available for download from this site are, generally speaking, much nicer than the Sony versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #17
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
WE ARE!!!!

heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
That's exactly my point. They are manipulating people (who don't know any better) into thinking they're getting something worth $199. Makes me wonder what else they're spinning to make themselves look good. Just kind of reminds me of how the game is being played. I find it interesting. And Books on Board says they're worth $500.

Maybe these companies could give away something that's actually worth these amounts? I'd take a new reader from Books on Board and I'd still have a lot to spare! Of course they're not going to do that. That's my point - they're not doing what they're claiming.
We can agree to disagree then. It just doesn't bother me that much, especially if it helps get people to buy Readers. But then again, not much bothers me at all.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
That's exactly my point. They are manipulating people (who don't know any better) into thinking they're getting something worth $199. Makes me wonder what else they're spinning to make themselves look good. Just kind of reminds me of how the game is being played. I find it interesting. And Books on Board says they're worth $500.

Maybe these companies could give away something that's actually worth these amounts? I'd take a new reader from Books on Board and I'd still have a lot to spare! Of course they're not going to do that. That's my point - they're not doing what they're claiming.
there is nothing illegal or manipulative in selling PD titles. Sony formatted them in LRF for their eBook so they provided a value add. As with anything else that is sold it is up to the seller to determine the worth of value add and up to the buyer to determine if it is worth what it costs.

I am not sure what BoB means but it is likely that they mean that if they were the ones that converted them they would charge $5 but I do agree that is deceptive in that they are not the ones supplying the free books after you purchase it. You have to get them from the Sony site I believe, but if you can get them directly from BoB then they can set whatever value they wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
But then again, not much bothers me at all.
Except someone touching your Sony Reader's screen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It does seem a bit of a rip-off, especially as I bought the reader in order to read the gutenberg books already on my PC. I hate reading on my laptop.
I've now found that the CD given with the PRS (with classics on) is faulty and won't play in my disc drive! I'm not bothered about this; if I want to read any of them I'll get them from manybooks.
Thanks for all the advice.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #21
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Does anyone besides me have trouble with the Sony Library software going into a zombie state while trying to browse the free classics? The little wheel just spins and spins and spins. And if I close the software to get out of the spin, I lose everything I put in the cart. And yes, I have the most recent software.

[Here's where Pilot Bob says "Push the yoke forward and apply rudder in the opposite direction to the spin..." ]

(The Sony classics I've looked at so far have been pretty nicely formatted, which is reason I've continued to look there.)

Last edited by starrigger; 01-13-2009 at 02:23 PM.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
[Here's where Pilot Bob says "Push the yoke forward and apply rudder in the opposite direction to the spin..." ]
You've had training?

You know. I read that book "Spin". It was a long one if I recall.

BOb
Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #23
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You've had training?
Not spin training per se, but yeah, I've got my private pilot's license. Got it just before the kids starting coming, and the money started going. So I haven't been able to fly in years.

Quote:
You know. I read that book "Spin". It was a long one if I recall.
BOb
Good one, though.

Meanwhile, back to the Sony Library...
Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
It does seem a bit of a rip-off, especially as I bought the reader in order to read the gutenberg books already on my PC. I hate reading on my laptop.
I've now found that the CD given with the PRS (with classics on) is faulty and won't play in my disc drive! I'm not bothered about this; if I want to read any of them I'll get them from manybooks.
Thanks for all the advice.
You don't need the CD at all though. You just download the ebookstore (online) and once the device is registered the credits show up in your account.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Meanwhile, back to the Sony Library...
Yes, right quite. (Great segue... you should do some writing.)

BOb
Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #26
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Does anyone besides me have trouble with the Sony Library software going into a zombie state while trying to browse the free classics? The little wheel just spins and spins and spins. And if I close the software to get out of the spin, I lose everything I put in the cart. And yes, I have the most recent software.
It's nothing to do with the classics. The Sony reader zombies out at the store all the time. Maybe it's overwhelmed with traffic, but it zonks out about everytime I've used it, since the last update or two (and I only go there when they have a free book). Sometimes you can move back and forth to the library and the store and get it to reconnect, sometimes it stays stuck with spinning wheels and others it finally gets a timeout error (once you get this, you must exit the program completely in order to reconnect). It really looks like, from a programming side, that there is no error recovery in the reader side of the store - it issues one request and if it doesn't hear back, it does, rather than hitting a timer and then issuing the request again. And the lack of ability to retry a connect to the store after the timeout error is a sign (one of many) of a very poor programmer/interface.

It's almost like they don't want you to buy their books, so they can then blame the reader's failure on lack of reading. More likely, three different divisions are handing things: one for the reader, one for the store software and another for the web store.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #27
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
It's nothing to do with the classics. The Sony reader zombies out at the store all the time. Maybe it's overwhelmed with traffic, but it zonks out about everytime I've used it, since the last update or two (and I only go there when they have a free book). Sometimes you can move back and forth to the library and the store and get it to reconnect, sometimes it stays stuck with spinning wheels and others it finally gets a timeout error (once you get this, you must exit the program completely in order to reconnect). It really looks like, from a programming side, that there is no error recovery in the reader side of the store - it issues one request and if it doesn't hear back, it does, rather than hitting a timer and then issuing the request again. And the lack of ability to retry a connect to the store after the timeout error is a sign (one of many) of a very poor programmer/interface.

It's almost like they don't want you to buy their books, so they can then blame the reader's failure on lack of reading. More likely, three different divisions are handing things: one for the reader, one for the store software and another for the web store.
It's not just me, then. Sounds like you're right about the programming. It's awful.

Of course, Sony has a solid history of putting out great hardware with atrocious software. (Net MD music player, anyone?) Usually they also have a lousy UI on the device itself, but something must have gone wrong with the Reader--I really like the UI on my PRS700.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #28
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post

I know that a poor internet connection can cause this. My mom and I don't have this problem at all...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:01 PM   #29
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

I have a good internet connection. The problem is also intermittent.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #30
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have a good internet connection. The problem is also intermittent.
That's strange. Did you try Sony level 2 tech support? My friend was having that problem but it was totally his poor internet connection.

Tags
classics, free, problems, sony