Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Apple spent a great deal of time and money getting those animations to look just right.
How on earth though can this patent demonstrate their lovingly-crafted animation?

It has just three intermediate states, with no real description of the nature of the page turn effect. In fact, about the only thing that the patent includes is a note to say that the nature of the process and pacing of the animation is not specified.

What's more those three states as specified do not appear to match the iPad page turn itself.

Here are the three images in the patent:

And here's a YouTube video showing the iPad page turn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGWdcLWHOM

Pause at, say, 12 seconds in and you can see that the angle of the turn is deeper on the iPad, crossing more of the page:

So, Apple don't appear to be trying to patent their exact design, but rather something more general.

What's more, there's a transparency effect used on the iPad as the page turns. which is not mentioned in Apple's patent, but which is described in Microsoft's earlier application for its Courier patent.

And as others have said, there's loads more prior art going way back.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 11-17-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I disagree with the page turn patent because I'm fairly sure that page turn implementations existed before iBooks. Didn't Stanza predate Apple's software? Didn't something else come before either of those?
See above; it's a *design* patent, not a functional patent.
They aren't patenting the *idea* of a page turn animation; they are patenting the look of *their* particular animation. Infringement only comes if somebody else's page turn animation looks too much like theirs. Perfectly valid. They are entitled to protect their investment and discourage others from copying their products. So I approve of the patent and the philosophy since it'll encourage others to actually think differently and not copy *them*. (Microsoft, on the other hand has never made too much of a stink when their products are copies a wee bit too closely. Diversity of opinion, there.)

And I don't dislike Apple products; I've purchased Apple monitors and laser printers in the past. Distant past, true, but still...

I do, however, dislike skeuomorphism as a philosophy. I see page turn animations as I see training wheels on a motorcycle.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-17-2012 at 10:19 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #18
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I do, however, dislike skeuomorphism as a philosophy. I see page turn animations as I see training wheels on a motorcycle.
I see page turn animations as a needless consumption of CPU cycles and battery. The first personalization I do on devices (pc, phone, etc) is turn off the eye candy.

BTW, my first "real" computer was an Apple ][e.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I seen that most interesting ipad mini ad on tv - for some strange reason we forgot to forward through the comercials when watching a show from dvr. That ad shows a ipad opening and closing books probably in ibooks, not sure never seen ibooks before. And then flipping a page back and forth. At the end it said ipad mini. No voice no nothing - afterwards my wife looks at me and tells mehow it is the most stupid commercial she ever seen. I just shrugged and said: Well it is an ipad, it has that nice new page-flipping feature, I don't get the ad either.

So seeing how that was the only part of the comercial, I can see why apple tries to "protect" their "investment". I don't see the greatness in that page-turning, but I am worried about the not clear at all patent - it is a setup to sue.

Someone please file a patent for page-turning with variable page-angle, except a few degrees around the apple angle - and licence it out for free, except to apple.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I like Apple, some even call me a fanboy. But getting a patent on something that they came last to the party of is ridiculous.

Not sure if I like the page turning animation ...
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Smacks of opportunism to me. Lost out on a couple of court cases so lets find another thing to patent and call our own.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #22
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Has anyone noticed the newest nook commercial, where the family members keep taking the device from each other, shows their version of the page flipping? They better watch out or they'll be sued for that.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #23
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Smacks of opportunism to me. Lost out on a couple of court cases so lets find another thing to patent and call our own.
The patent was filed last December.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
I see page turn animations as a needless consumption of CPU cycles and battery. The first personalization I do on devices (pc, phone, etc) is turn off the eye candy.
It's perhaps worth noting that the page-turn in iBooks is more than just needless animation; it's actually a "live" page image, so to speak. You can partially turn the page back and read what's at the bottom of the previous page. That can be very useful on occasions. Just like lifting the corner of a physical page to read what's underneath.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's perhaps worth noting that the page-turn in iBooks is more than just needless animation; it's actually a "live" page image, so to speak. You can partially turn the page back and read what's at the bottom of the previous page. That can be very useful on occasions. Just like lifting the corner of a physical page to read what's underneath.
It's also worth noting that that is exactly what is described in Microsoft's patent application, filed at least 18 months before Apple's, but not yet granted.

It isn't mentioned in Apple's own patent, which as I've shown above, doesn't even match what their iBooks animation actually does.

I find the US patent system most peculiar.

Edit: I should add that I expect there's plenty of prior art to invalidate the Microsoft patent as well, which may be why it's still pending. I just find it odd that the Apple one was granted.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 11-19-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I long ago stopped wondering at the peculiarities of the US patent system. Life is too short .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmm what does it mean ? That all other devices that currently have page turn will become illegal ? Or other brands must shell out money to Apple ? Or what, cause page turning isn't exactly brand new technology.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Hmm what does it mean ? That all other devices that currently have page turn will become illegal ? Or other brands must shell out money to Apple ? Or what, cause page turning isn't exactly brand new technology.
No and no.
This is a design patent, for the particular layout and animation steps of one implementation of page turning. It is not a functionality patent for the idea of page turning.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
What's more those three states as specified do not appear to match the iPad page turn itself.
[...]
So, Apple don't appear to be trying to patent their exact design, but rather something more general.
Or something different, and now outdated. It takes a long time for patent applications to be granted, and life (and software development) continues to move on while that happens.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You know for a bystander you know your stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
No and no.
This is a design patent, for the particular layout and animation steps of one implementation of page turning. It is not a functionality patent for the idea of page turning.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote