Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Megareader updated...

I just installed today's Megareader update. Some nice changes:

1.- brightness is now adjustable by a finger swipe just like it was with stanza.

2.- margins are now truly adjustable. Before we always had this huge margins, now it works as it should.

Not changed:

Rendering still sucks. Italics are ignored. Developers, please fix that soonest.

Cheers

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
The new configurable tap zones is pretty awesome. I can make just the top left corner be Previous page, and tap anywhere else for Next Page. I love that. It's even more configurable than Stanza, and I can comfortably read one-handed.

However, the top and bottom margins are still not adjustable. I'd prefer that margin widths would affect top and bottom, not just left and right. and the lack of italics is *still* a complete dealbreaker. So I'm still keeping an eye on this one, but it's not in usable shape.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I don't know why devs don't just use the built in webkit engine for rendering. I m pretty sure it's what stanza does.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Hardware brightness swipe

The hardware brightness swipe is a good news/bad news thing.

It's good that it actually turns down the backlighting instead of just changing to a darker background color.

The bad news is that the change is "sticky" - your backlight does not go back to normal when you leave the app.

I left a suggestion on the MegaReader feedback page to save the "current" backlight level when entering the app and restoring it to that level when leaving the app (by task switching or closing the app). Even better would be bi-directional - if you return to the app, go back to the "in-app" brightness level.

On the iPhone, the brightness levels seemed to work perfectly - from very bright to quite dim. The iPad did not get very bright, though - it was always a bit dim. (Default black on white text mode - no odd colors).
FredipusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredipusRex View Post
The hardware brightness swipe is a good news/bad news thing.
Here's what the author had to say about a similar suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Thompson (Founder, Inkstone Software, MegaReader);http://megareader.uservoice.com/forums/137541-general-feedback/suggestions/2357595-restore-the-hardware-brightness-level-on-app-exit#comments
Yeah, I tried that, but Apple blocks any attempt to restore the brightness on exit. Apparently it is by design. Changing the screen brightness through the API allows the brightness to be changed only for the current lock session. As soon as you lock the device, the brightness is restored to the value previously chosen in settings. So if you lock and unlock the device, you'll get back to your previous brightness setting. The iBooks brightness control also works like this.

If you don't like this behavior then you can choose the "Overlay" brightness option in settings. This overlays a semi-transparent black layer on top of the reading screen, like Stanza did, and modifies the transparency of the overlay to adjust the brightness. This means that the brightness setting will only apply to the reading screen. The downside of this approach is that it does not conserve battery life, as the system brightness setting will.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'm still waiting for Patrick to add sideloading through itunes as an option, as well as having some kind of grouping within the library, a la stanza or readme
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Norik
Norik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 350 (and a 700 in a drawer)
I'm trying this out as my stanza replacement, and I'm fairly pleased so far,
it works fine downloading from calibre over Wifi.
What I'm hoping for is the ability to sort by series, either by editing each book as i download it to my phone, or (prefferably) by it carrying over the info from calibre.
Norik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I've had issues where certain epubs do not display correctly in MegaReader. One did not display the TOC and had alignment messed up even though the book displayed correctly in iBooks and BlueReader.

Even though I paid for MR, I find myself using the free iBooks more simply because I like to look up new words in the dictionary and I can't do that with MR.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
kas23
kas23 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I still can't get past the ugly, ugly way it organizes your eBooks. Just a big long list of your ebooks? Really? What was/is the developer thinking?
kas23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
FredipusRex
Enthusiast
FredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enoughFredipusRex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
I still can't get past the ugly, ugly way it organizes your eBooks. Just a big long list of your ebooks? Really? What was/is the developer thinking?
The developer is working on a basic author grouping right now, with a more robust tag/publisher/series support coming later.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Drekk
Drekk began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I could ignore any other failings if the developer could just get epub formatting correct. That's my one sticking point with this app.
Drekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
FredipusRex
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drekk View Post
I could ignore any other failings if the developer could just get epub formatting correct. That's my one sticking point with this app.
That's apparently coming after the author sort.