Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #76
jribeiro
jribeiro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Launchpad not working after 3.3 upgrade

Have K3 wifi USA.

Had 3.1 firware, Duokan Lite, jailbreak 0.9N, launchpad.

Upgraded to 3.3 firmware. Process went smooth. 3.3 is installed and working. Duokan Lite still works but missed launchpad.

Do I have to reinstall jailbreal and launchpad. Which version?

Thanks.
jribeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #77
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Not that I'm worried as the update seems pretty minimal, but I'm just wondering... I'm in the UK and both our standard Kindle 3 Wi-Fi's state they are running version 3.2.1 and the 'Update Your Kindle' option is greyed out?
The "Update Your Kindle" option will be greyed out unless you have copied an update file over from your computer.

Kindles with 3.2.1 do not need the update (according to Amazon).
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #78
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Not that I'm worried as the update seems pretty minimal, but I'm just wondering... I'm in the UK and both our standard Kindle 3 Wi-Fi's state they are running version 3.2.1 and the 'Update Your Kindle' option is greyed out?
The option is greyed out because the update has not yet been downloaded to the K3. I don't know if it will be available in the UK.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #79
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's available for every kindle version (including the UK/DE one) on the software update page, so it's there, but I don't know if they plan to roll it out over WiFi.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #80
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Thanks guys, I found some info in the Kindle help pages on amazon.co.uk. According to that the update is supposed to be delivered automatically via Wi-Fi when you 'Sync and Check for Items'.

It mentions that you already have the latest software if your Kindle is running version 3.3 or later, and that you should update if you have version 3.1 or earlier. Nothing is said about 3.2.1 though..... I can only presume that as mine is a refurbished Kindle, this is some kind of internal updated software Amazon ran on refurbished units prior to the latest 3.3 software? I know it's been mentioned as the version on special offers Kindles, but there are no special offers Kindles here in the UK?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #81
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thanks guys, I found some info in the Kindle help pages on amazon.co.uk. According to that the update is supposed to be delivered automatically via Wi-Fi when you 'Sync and Check for Items'.

It mentions that you already have the latest software if your Kindle is running version 3.3 or later, and that you should update if you have version 3.1 or earlier. Nothing is said about 3.2.1 though..... I can only presume that as mine is a refurbished Kindle, this is some kind of internal updated software Amazon ran on refurbished units prior to the latest 3.3 software? I know it's been mentioned as the version on special offers Kindles, but there are no special offers Kindles here in the UK?
My K3 Wifi Special Offers model came with 3.2.1. Later I think Amazon released non-Special Offers models with 3.2.1 also. At any rate, I was able to download the 3.3 update, sideload it to my K3, and successfully update it to 3.3.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #82
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
Question I saw a topic like this on amazon and I don't think I saw anything here but what about the KSO version does this update apply to that model as well?

My version new from Amazon is 3.2.1
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #83
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
Question I saw a topic like this on amazon and I don't think I saw anything here but what about the KSO version does this update apply to that model as well?

My version new from Amazon is 3.2.1
As stated earlier in this thread, I have installed 3.3 on my K3 SO, and yes 3.3 is meant for the SO models and non-SO models.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #84
MikeCL
Zealot

Thank you
Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #85
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Out of interest, I decided to contact Amazon about the 3.2.1 software, whether it needs updated, what it is, and is it ok to update...... waste of time!

First they told me if my software was showing 3.2.1 I'd need to remove any modifications before I could go ahead and update. When I explained there were no modifications they advised me to contact them by phone. The woman I spoke to was "unsure" about my software version, couldn't really answer any questions and after lots of pauses, advised me to 'Sync and Check for Items' despite me originally explaining I'd already tried that.

Since jswinden helpfully posted that he'd updated successfully from 3.2.1, I just thanked the woman for her help, and went ahead and updated it manually. So ta much!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #86
MikeCL
Zealot

Updated last night
Old 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #87
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's available for every kindle version (including the UK/DE one) on the software update page, so it's there, but I don't know if they plan to roll it out over WiFi.
Here in DE it states to be available via WIFI. It did not come automatically. I installed in manually this weekend. All fine. Jailbreak, SS and Fonts Hack still in operation.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #88
Harlock415
Connoisseur
Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Voyage
My kindle 3G just updated to 3.3 so if I am able to store all my personal documents on the cloud, does that mean all my books I got from Feedbooks? I also have many non-drm books that were not purchased through Amazon or from feedbooks.
Harlock415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #89
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Next time you hook your Kindle to a computer, check the size of the MyClippings.txt file. It is probably getting too large. When you add a highlight, it has to scan to find the end of the file, then it needs to save, then index it. Back it up and delete it, that should improve performance.
Thanks for the tip, Tom. It's a pity though, that I can't keep it attached to its books. I've only had my Kindle since August and although I do underline and annotate a fair bit I didn't realise the Clippings file would grow so fast.
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #90
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock415 View Post
My kindle 3G just updated to 3.3 so if I am able to store all my personal documents on the cloud, does that mean all my books I got from Feedbooks? I also have many non-drm books that were not purchased through Amazon or from feedbooks.
Anything you send to your <YOURNAMEHERE>@free.kindle.com or @kindle.com, will be stored by Amazon.

If the file is a .mobi or .azw, Amazon will also synchronize your last page read between compatible devices (currently Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Kindle (4th generation) and Kindle Fire).

Any books that you have purchased/downloaded for free without DRM should be fine to send to Amazon.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote