Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
blubb
blubb began at the beginning.

Device: some android
calibre bloating converted file?

actually, as new as i am with calibre, and the fact that i don't use it that much for the fact it eats almost all my cpu unfortunately. as far as i gathered now, pdf is not the best source for converting. unfortunately most of my books are in pdf ... yet, isn't a converted ~7mb original pdf into an ~145mb epub quite excessive? k, it has about 400 pages, yet ...
blubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That suggests that the original PDF file is an image based one, and not a text based one. In that case there is not much point in trying to convert it as the output is unlikely to be useful.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
That suggests that the original PDF file is an image based one, and not a text based one. In that case there is not much point in trying to convert it as the output is unlikely to be useful.
I agree. with itimpi's comment above. It would be possible to run the pdf through OCR, delete out the page images and convert that. It's a lot of work, but it will produce a smaller file than the original 7mb pdf and make the text reflowable as a decent ebook should.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
blubb
blubb began at the beginning.

Device: some android
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
That suggests that the original PDF file is an image based one, and not a text based one.
that was also one of my first thoughts when i tried to open the epub, coz it took ages. as for ocr, i played with the thought of saving the pdf as txt and converting it then, if it worked. only question left, wot about the tons of footnotes then.
blubb is offline   Reply With Quote