Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
*Angie*
Bookish
*Angie* doesn't litter*Angie* doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS-300
I want the lavender one! Wish I could return my white one I just bought a couple weeks ago and get one of the new ones. Would be worth the extra $20.
*Angie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am having difficulty understanding why you would buy a Kobo at that price when the K3 or Nook has the same, if not better, features then the Kobo. I can understand it outside of the US, the Nook isn't available and the Kobo is less expensive then the Sony for folks wanting an EPub reader. But in the US?

I guess if you want an EPub, WiFi readers, without a touchscreen under $150.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am having difficulty understanding why you would buy a Kobo at that price when the K3 or Nook has the same, if not better, features then the Kobo...
In my case I don't care for the Nook navigation with the color strip and I'm not interested in Amazons choice of file/drm support.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angie* View Post
I want the lavender one! Wish I could return my white one I just bought a couple weeks ago and get one of the new ones. Would be worth the extra $20.
I put the photos at other forum, asking they guessed which one I wanted. Only one try: lavender, of course
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #20
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
Boswd - I've seen the new Kindle (with pearl screen) at a few stores. I thought the new screen was vastly better.
I've brought my Nook to my local best buy, the kindle screen is better but in no way shape or form 'vastly' better. No way it's just not.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #21
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I've brought my Nook to my local best buy, the kindle screen is better but in no way shape or form 'vastly' better. No way it's just not.
I guess it's somewhat subjective. I've been using eInk devices for about three years now. I really like the new ones. Maybe to your eyes it's not that big of a deal. It's always best for each person to check for themselves.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I guess it's somewhat subjective. I've been using eInk devices for about three years now. I really like the new ones. Maybe to your eyes it's not that big of a deal. It's always best for each person to check for themselves.
Oh don't get me wrong, it's nice and that will be norm with most eink readers going forward. My point is, if you own a Kindle 2 or a Nook the difference isn't to the point of wanting to ditch your current device. IOW's it's not exactly like comparing VHS to Blu ray.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #23
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angie* View Post
I checked the website and it looks like it's only lavender on the quilted back, and the front is still white

Edit: Here's the link http://koboereader.com/cad/ereaders.html
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
If the screen can at least match the contrast of the Nook then it not having the new Pearl screen isn't a huge loss. Though the new pearl screen is a bit better than the nook, it's not head and shoulders or as remarkable as you may think it is.
Since the press release doesn't actually refer to Pearl, it may not be. But it is 16 gray scale vs 8 in the original version. For me, both the Kobo and Kindle 2 are about equal in black density and readability; the Kindle 3 is is better for sure -- but the Kindle 2 was fine as it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Have any of you seen what the wi-fi is for? Is it strictly for downloading books or can you browse the web?
There doesn't appear to be a web browser ... but there must be some sort of faux keybaord since you need to enter passwords and such for wifi access.

Quote:
I am having difficulty understanding why you would buy a Kobo at that price when the K3 or Nook has the same, if not better, features then the Kobo. I can understand it outside of the US, the Nook isn't available and the Kobo is less expensive then the Sony for folks wanting an EPub reader.
Kobo is building a platform -- like Kindle -- as opposed to simply a device. The wifi will allow you to download books, and share bookmarks, across Blackberry, iPhone, Samsung tablet, iPad, Blackberry Playbook, and now your Kobo e-reader as well. This is a plus Sony does not deliver. Connectedness may trump touch screen for some customers. Sony, in fact, does not offer wifi outside of the US; the PRS-650 is the most advanced unit in Canada and it's $100 more for the same size screen.

Quote:
I checked the website and it looks like it's only lavender on the quilted back, and the front is still white
Kobo doesn't make white models. They are porcelein.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #25
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Have any of you seen what the wi-fi is for? Is it strictly for downloading books or can you browse the web?
I would imagine the web surfing (if possible) would be rather clunky at best given you really only have a 5-way controller and 4 side buttons, very hard to type in a URL with any great speed. The Kindle3 has web browsing capabilities and I find that clunky, and it has a keyboard (the Kindle store is a great experience though). IMHO web browsing on an ereader is pretty poor. That said once you put in a few bookmarks it can be great for quickly checking regular pages.

For me ultimately the ability to surf the web or not isn't a selling point for me (especially wifi-only models, for me to use wifi I'd be at home and when I am at home I have my laptop).

I would be rather keen (and more interested that web surfing capabilities) to allow the Kobo to sync with multiple Kobo partnered bookstores, such as Kobo, Borders, Angus & Robertson. Appears to me the desktop software only allows for syncing with one of them, purchases through the others need to be done via ADE. Don't ask me why but I have found ebook prices varying between all 3 (despite coming from the same source).

Even though I have just bought a Kindle I'm still interested in the Kobo. Given the number of freebies I have got from Kobo it has well and truly covered the purchase price of one (yes you can DRM-strip and convert the file type, but the ease and simplicity of just syncing has become my preferred way).

If the wife can buy a new mobile phone because she doesn't like her old one (6 months old mind you) then I think I can buy another reader....just because
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I am having difficulty understanding why you would buy a Kobo at that price when the K3 or Nook has the same, if not better, features then the Kobo. I can understand it outside of the US, the Nook isn't available and the Kobo is less expensive then the Sony for folks wanting an EPub reader. But in the US?

I guess if you want an EPub, WiFi readers, without a touchscreen under $150.
My thoughts too. Why? The Kobo has worse specs and no browser. It should be priced at $99 to remain competitive.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Totally agree with that. These things are always in the eye of the beholder.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

The black one is really sharp looking and is the best looking ereader out there; followed by the black Kindle.

On a side note, the white one no longer looks like a Fisher-Price toy when it had that ghastly blue D-pad.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #29
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
SameerH at Kobo posted this last night in the Kobo forum:

1. Dictionary works when you're in the reading view. Menu > Dictionary > You get a cursor, you move the cursor to the word you want > Press centre dpad > definition comes up.

2. Any typing is done through a virtual onscreen keyboard that needs to be navigated using the Dpad. It's actually relatively easy despite how it sounds, and you only have to use it a few times.

I think that trying to type using an on-screen keyboard with the d-pad is going to become frustrating. What if you make a mistake abd hit the wrong letter? Going back and forth across the screen trying to search for a book with a long title is going to be wearisome. Maybe I'm wrong though. I haven't used it. Are there any other readers with an on screen keyboard like this one has?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #30
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
An interesting observation about the Kobo bookstore. A lot of authors who have self-published their backlist titles are opting out of distribution to Kobo, because Kobo discounts books, which violates the authors' terms with Amazon to get the 70% royalty. Because most authors sell far more books on Amazon than anywhere else, it's smarter to opt out of Kobo than to loose a chunk of Amazon royalty.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote