Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 04:47 AM   #16
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
The question JSWolf is asking is: "Do you have the legal right to sell this book?"

I can tell you, that the code of that book is a mess.
It might be possble to publish it like that on amazon, but it is highly likely that soon people will return it, because the can't change the font type or size or invert the colors for night reading.

That can result in bad reviews or amazon might just stop selling the book.

From the way you ask and with the circumstances you describe, I do not think that you are ready to format a well layouted ebook.

If you want to publish, you should look into finding/hiring someone who can do it for you.

All that happened in this thread up to now is like putting a band aid on a patient with a gun shot wound.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #17
Philogger
Philogger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Oh Ok.
downloaded it.
Philogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2019, 05:06 AM   #18
Philogger

Ok, I understand,
However when i send this book to my kindle, it reads perfectly, change the font etc. Are you saying when it's published it will look different?
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:08 AM   #19
Philogger

I formatted this on word as smashwords advised. Very basic, then converted to epub from html. WHy is the code a mess?
Old 10-20-2019, 05:30 AM   #20
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
You are only allowed to sell a book if you:

a) are the author
b) are a publisher that got the publishing rights from the author

What is your situation?

It is a mess, because it is done with Word. The older the version, the messier the output.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philogger View Post
Oh Ok.
downloaded it.
Why are you trying to put this on Smashwords when you don't have the rights to it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #22
Philogger

??? I'm the author ????
It's my book. Not sure what you people are talking about?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #23
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
??? I'm the author ????
It's my book. Not sure what you people are talking about?
I believe that there was some confusion because you did not state that that up front. MobileRead is primarily a site for e-book consumers.

You also did not tell how you produced the file that you are trying to validate. It clearly started as a Word document and it appears that you used Word to save it as an HTML file. Doing that does not produce clean HTML code suitable for an e-book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Hi again,
I did what you said and it worked, I now have one more error (which is better than the 30 I had before) It says:

Error while parsing file: attribute "clear" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "id", "style" or "title"

The code might be here:

</head>

<body bgcolor=white lang=EN-US class=blue vclass=purple style='tab-interval:36.0pt'>

<div class=Section1>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>Philip
Ogley</span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>Le Glitch</span></p>

<span lang=EN-GB style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Times;mso-ansi-language:
EN-GB;mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><br clear=ALL style='page-break-before:always'>
</span>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>First
published 2019 by Canap� Publishing, UK</span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><![if !supportEmptyParas]>&nbsp;<![endif]><o></o></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>ISBN:
978-1-69115878-2 (Paperback)</span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>Copyright �
2019 Philip Ogley</span></p>

thanks again
If you are the author, then there are no issues with pirating. MobileRead - and the contributors here - don't support piracy. That's why JSWolf was concerned about confirming you have the rights to this book.

The "clear=all" needs to be part of the style= like this:
<br style="clear:all; page-break-before:always"/>

However, I agree with what Sunlite said: "You're putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound."

This word document is full of gunk-code. I think Word 2000 has the ability to Save-As Filtered HTML. Try that. Otherwise, you will need to learn all about HTML and CSS to get this cleaned up to a point where it's reliable to sell. This is not super difficult, but will take some time. There are how-to's in MobileRead's Wiki. If you don't have the time, or inclination, to learn then you really should get a professional book designer to do this for you. It might seem to be really easy to just use Word, or the Smashwords process, but that path leads to the dark side.

Be aware that the Smashwords intake process is designed to make a single document that can be printed as well as electronic. Combining the two formats does NOT make for good ebook code.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #25
Philogger

Ok thanks,
I'm probably out of my depth. I'll think about it. Probably hire someone, save asking you guys all the time.
Saying that it does read very well on the kindle previewer - so maybe it's OK on Amazon. Someone said Amazon override Epub errors at times.
I'll mull it over.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok thanks,
I'm probably out of my depth. I'll think about it. Probably hire someone, save asking you guys all the time.
Saying that it does read very well on the kindle previewer - so maybe it's OK on Amazon. Someone said Amazon override Epub errors at times.
I'll mull it over.
Thanks
If you are going to hire someone, I have a suggestion for you. Hitch is a really one to hire. Send her a PM and you can talk it over. Hitch is her name on here.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #27
Philogger

OK - will do.
Thanks a lot!
Old 10-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #28
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Just as an example of how grungy that code is - you can do the exact same thing with the following:

Instead of:
Code:
<body bgcolor=white lang=EN-US class=blue vclass=purple style='tab-interval:36.0pt'>

<div class=Section1>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>Philip
Ogley</span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>Le Glitch</span></p>

<span lang=EN-GB style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Times;mso-ansi-language:
EN-GB;mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><br clear=ALL style='page-break-before:always'>
</span>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>First
published 2019 by Canapé Publishing, UK</span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>ISBN:
978-1-69115878-2 (Paperback)</span></p>

<p class=MsoNormal><span lang=EN-GB style='mso-ansi-language:EN-GB'>Copyright ©
2019 Philip Ogley</span></p>

you would have:
Code:
<body>

<p>Philip Ogley</p>

<p>Le Glitch</p>

<br />

<p>First published 2019 by Canapé Publishing, UK</p>

<p>ISBN: 978-1-69115878-2 (Paperback)</p>

<p>Copyright © 2019 Philip Ogley</p>
Clean code not only works on the largest number of devices/apps, but it looks good, displays (renders) faster on those devices (the older the device the more improvement), easier to edit, smaller file sizes (which can reduce distribution costs), etc. Well worth the time getting it done right!

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #29
Philogger

Wow! That's pretty impressive.
Yeh, it looks better. Cleaner.
I'll have a look at it for sure.
Thanks
P
Old 10-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Wow! That's pretty impressive.
Yeh, it looks better. Cleaner.
I'll have a look at it for sure.
Thanks
P
If there is not a lot of complex formatting, save as text and it's fairly easy to work with from there. You have to do a search/replace to put a <p></p> around every line. Then you can change that as needed and you can work on creating the CSS based on what needs to be done. I feel it would be a lot easier starting with a text format then cleaning up that horrible mess.

Code:
body {
widows: 1;
orphans: 1;
margin-top: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
text-align: justify;
}
p {
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
text-indent: 1.2em
}
That is the CSS code I would start with. It gives you a good baseline and you don't have to add a class to any <p> that's just a regular paragraph with an indent.

Tags
epub, epub validation error