Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Jeffers86
Jeffers86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Hindi text on Kindle

I've been trying to render Hindi text on my Kindle keyboard. I've tried converting it to Mobi, but some of the vowels appear in the wrong place. So I sent the word doc directly to my kindle email address, and it had the vowels in the right place, but then there were random spaces in the middle of words.

I saw on these forums that azw3 format supports asian scripts, so I used calibre to convert the doc to azw3. But when I sent it to my kindle keyboard email address, I received an error message that the format is not supported. So I tried it on my wife's kindle fire HD, but got the same message back.

Any idea what I can try next?

Thanks.
Jeffers86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
According to this thread, AZW3-capable Kindles support Unicode-encoded AZW3 Hindi books.

I'd strongly recommend not to send Hindi books by e-mail to your Kindle because this might trigger another undesired automated conversion.
Simply transfer the books via the USB cable to your Kindle's document folder.
Note that if you see random spaces within words, the book was most likely not encoded in Unicode and references a non-Unicode font.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffers86 View Post
I've been trying to render Hindi text on my Kindle keyboard. I've tried converting it to Mobi, but some of the vowels appear in the wrong place. So I sent the word doc directly to my kindle email address, and it had the vowels in the right place, but then there were random spaces in the middle of words.

I saw on these forums that azw3 format supports asian scripts, so I used calibre to convert the doc to azw3. But when I sent it to my kindle keyboard email address, I received an error message that the format is not supported. So I tried it on my wife's kindle fire HD, but got the same message back.

Thanks.
You need to send 'hybrid' files. In calibre you need to pick MOBI (not AZW3) and Mobi file type of 'both'. Then it should be accepted by personal documents service. Then you can see if it worked...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffers86 View Post

Thanks.
Why are you sending it to the email address? Just copy the book directly to the Kindle via a USB connection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devanagari, hindi