Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
HELP

When doing the update to 2.2, what does the "update" screen look like. I have held those buttons over 3 minutes and haven't seen anything that says update. Please help if you can. I am getting SO frustrated. Thanks, -Micky
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Minion
Minion began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Same here. Held the buttons down. Tried two different usb drives. Name the files to both "update" and "update.zip". I've done plenty of updates on my Droid phone... not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

EDIT: It seems it didn't like my Transcend flash drive. But my Starkiller promo USB drive work! :P

Last edited by Minion; 09-19-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
aphroat
aphroat began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunseo View Post
When doing the update to 2.2, what does the "update" screen look like. I have held those buttons over 3 minutes and haven't seen anything that says update. Please help if you can. I am getting SO frustrated. Thanks, -Micky
My device hung during the update. I let it spin its wheels for about an hour, then sacrificed a small mammal and hit the power button. After the hard reboot my PE took off with the update and TOLD me it was updating, which it had not done the first time around. 5 minutes later it was up and running 2.2/Froyo.

NOTE: I did *not* hold menu/rotate buttons during the second power cycle.
aphroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
bfewell
bfewell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Entourage Pocket Edge
I've been trying for a while as well. HELP US SOMEONE!
bfewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
wmocny
wmocny began at the beginning.

Device: PocketEdge
I'm gonna tell you what just about every thread says to do but I'll try and do it a different way.
1. Go here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141833
2. Click V.1.01
3. Save compressed folder as "update" (Note: the .zip file extension is not shown when in windows explorer so if you name the file update.zip its actual name will be update.zip.zip)
4. Move this compressed folder to the root of a flash drive (Example- If your flash drive is G:\ then you want to move the file to that location meaning if you put it inside of a folder on the flash drive the dualbook won't find it)
5. Unmount the flash drive and put into a pocketedge that is off
6. Begin the holding of the "menu" and "rotate" buttons then turn the device on
7. Continue holding the buttons until a cursor appears in the right hand corner

Note: The previous guide is for PocketEdge. Also if you haven't bypassed the registration yet that might effect the upgrade. To bypass the registration follow this instructional image:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Four_corners_small_expanded.jpg
Views:	2781
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	76698  

Last edited by wmocny; 09-19-2011 at 11:06 PM.
wmocny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
bfewell
bfewell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Entourage Pocket Edge
Thanks, it worked!
bfewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
wmocny
wmocny began at the beginning.

Device: PocketEdge
Good any props should go to Gunnerp and vicinc. W/o their tutorials I'd be just as lost as you guys were.
wmocny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
cajunseo
Zealot

AMEN!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
digitalchi
digitalchi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Pocket eDGe
I've been trying to get mine to update to 2.2 for hours now and I can't seem to get it. I've been holding menu & rotate buttons before I turn the edge on and still it boots into 1.6. what am I do wrong?

Formatted flash drive FAT32 "check"
update.zip in root of flash drive "check"
pocket edge recognizes my usb flash drive "check"

I hold the buttons till a little blinking cursor appears in the upper right corner and then let go. I've also held them longer but the darn device still boots into 1.6. (I am so frustrated with it right now >.< )

Last edited by digitalchi; 09-20-2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: forgot to add more info
digitalchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
cajunseo
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalchi View Post
I've been trying to get mine to update to 2.2 for hours now and I can't seem to get it. I've been holding menu & rotate buttons before I turn the edge on and still it boots into 1.6. what am I do wrong?

Formatted flash drive FAT32 "check"
update.zip in root of flash drive "check"
pocket edge recognizes my usb flash drive "check"

I hold the buttons till a little blinking cursor appears in the upper right corner and then let go. I've also held them longer but the darn device still boots into 1.6. (I am so frustrated with it right now >.< )
I certainly am no expert here. However, I did get mine up and running thanks to many here, but mosty to the post that is a few above this one by wmocny. Delete the files you have for the update from the flash and from your computer or put them where they can't get confused. In wmocny's post use his link to get the file. Be careful as there are 2 files that are close in name. save to your hard drive with the name of "update". Of course no quoatations. Do NOT add the .zip. The computer will automatically do that and if you have done it also, you will end up with what I had. A file called "update.zip.zip" which is obviously not what you want. Once it is save you can drag and drop to your flash drive. I used an 8GB SanDisk Micro SD. After that just follow the instructions. It worked like a charm for me the first time I tried by his instructions. Let us know please.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Good job, Micky!! You got it done! And all you had to do is leave off the 'zip'??? LOL now we know!

I just looked at some of my transferred compressed files on the eDGe and they all end in zip.zip. They all work, though. Weirdness!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
cajunseo
Zealot

Yes Dian. Computers are strange animals. Thank you so much for spending the time with me that you did. Last night I installed the Nook App which was the original reason for me buying this. I thought that the internet was just a bonus. I downloaded my first book and swapped it to the elink side. Without this forum and all of it's good people, the edge would have went through the window and still be laying on the lawn in the rain. Hopefully I will be able to help someone else now. Thanks again and see yall around as I'm sure that I'll need help soon :-D. Thanks -Micky
Old 09-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
[QUOTE=wmocny;1749054]I'm gonna tell you what just about every thread says to do but I'll try and do it a different way.
1. Go here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141833
2. Click V.1.01
3. Save compressed folder as "update" (Note: the .zip file extension is not shown when in windows explorer so if you name the file update.zip its actual name will be update.zip.zip){QUOTE/]

# 3 - Thanks for pointing this out. I guess sometimes I forget that not all computer users are advanced users. I have the Files and Folders Advanced View Settings "Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked in Windows Explorer so I see the .zip extension along with the file name and delete and rename the whole file. I see the # 1 link says the same thing, rename to update.zip. I have made a correction to the Resource Guide Sticky to match what you have said.

# 1 and # 2 - For new owners contemplating the upgrade the link provided is to a user modded firmware (V.1.01) and an ongoing project that may not be suitable for inexperienced users.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-20-2011 at 11:23 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
# 1 and # 2 - For new owners contemplating the upgrade the link provided is to a user modded firmware (V.1.01) and an ongoing project that may not be suitable for inexperienced users.
Ermine 1.01 requires no more experience than Ermine 0.9.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
cajunseo
Zealot

I never had the privelgae of viewing Ermine 0.9 but I love 1.01. So glad I was able to make the switch.