Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Page refresh?

Hi everyone,
I have another new user question. I have a Voyage and have been playing with the light sensor and various light settings as well as page refresh to determine how to get the most contrast. When I have the unit with Page Refresh off and the "light sensor" enabled and just read I notice that some page turns seem do do a full refresh (Screen blacks out) before new text appears. But many page turns seem less harsh. I do not however see that corresponding to which page turns seem to result in clearer / more contrasty (is that a word?) text...

Can someone explain how the page refresh setting works both when on and when off?

Thank you.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
On = do full page refresh for every page turn = sharper text, less ghosting
Off = do partial page refresh for X pages (X used to be 6 pages, I think?) then do 1 full page refresh.

With setting set to off it also does full page refresh on beginning of every chapter, after a page that had some images/pictures on it, or after hidding any popup window (dictionary, Wikipedia, Go To, Main Menu etc).

You don't have any finegrained control over it (like setting number of pages on Kobo) except "full refresh all the time" OR "full refresh sometime/ when necessary".
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
On = do full page refresh for every page turn = sharper text, less ghosting
Off = do partial page refresh for X pages (X used to be 6 pages, I think?) then do 1 full page refresh.

With setting set to off it also does full page refresh on beginning of every chapter, after a page that had some images/pictures on it, or after hidding any popup window (dictionary, Wikipedia, Go To, Main Menu etc).

You don't have any finegrained control over it (like setting number of pages on Kobo) except "full refresh all the time" OR "full refresh sometime/ when necessary".
Thanks for the informative response!!! This is the info I was looking for and did not see, even in the FAQ.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote